General

34 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

1) The Screenshake/blur is too much. Needs to be toned down.
2) It turns a lot of players, usually the ones on my team, into passive players instead of aggressive/proactive ones.

If you bring LRMs, you need to control the battlefield with them.

You can't do that if you spend most of the match hiding, backing up, giving up ground, unwilling to take some damage.

Be proactive, use your LRMs to control the enemy's movement, to dictate the battlefield. Be aggressive with them.

Don't be the rear line, be the midfielder, support where it's needed, press the advantage.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 06 September 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

That is funny because being aggressive counters LRMs...

#3 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 06 September 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

That is funny because NARC counters aggressive players.

#4 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Yeah. Massed LRM fire can kill the victim pretty quickly, but massed direct-fire kills even faster. But if a team sits around watching each other eat LRMs and not moving, the LRMs will eventually kill everybody.

#5 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yeah. When you have a team of guys with the same idea. Otherwise you're the lone dude charging the LRM boat while his allies LRM barrage you and shoot you to pieces. : /

#6 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 06 September 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

That is funny because NARC counters aggressive players.

But not an aggressive *team*.

Now that the group queues are setup the way they are, and I've had the chance to fight against 12-mans, it's not rare to see a good 12-man completely wreck my team in about 1 minute of combat with direct-fire weapons. It seems like every 4 seconds someone else on my team dies.

Massed LRMs will kill someone pretty fast, and it ain't any fun for the guy on the receiving end of massed LRM fire from multiple platforms, but compared to focused direct-fire, LRMs are much less efficient in terms of TTK, and effective damage-per-heat. By the time massed LRMs have killed a couple guys, all their boats are overheating and faced with opposing mechs swarming into their minimum range.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Even when locks are denied to me due to enemy ECM or due to lack of locks, I still dumbfire LRMs, since they set off Betty's alarm and scatter the enemy--works like a charm in Mordor. Sometimes I get to hit a moving mech with it.

LRM skill ceiling is actually pretty damn high.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 September 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 06 September 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

2) It turns a lot of players, usually the ones on my team, into passive players instead of aggressive/proactive ones.

You can't do that if you spend most of the match hiding, backing up, giving up ground, unwilling to take some damage.

Be proactive, use your LRMs to control the enemy's movement, to dictate the battlefield. Be aggressive with them.

Don't be the rear line, be the midfielder, support where it's needed, press the advantage.

Good advice but not etched in stone. Mostly the last sentence. Yes being mobile and proactive is good, but if you have a commanding view of the battlefield and can assist multiple fronts from your position. Stand fast and bring the rain. Fire Support is normally delivered from Naval vessels and Stationary Artillery positioned with command. Some is mobile, but rarely does it get into "the thick of it."

So play it by ear, and if your team is winning its fine to be less mobile, but be mindful of the Kill/death of our team in the match.

#9 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 September 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Good advice but not etched in stone. Mostly the last sentence. Yes being mobile and proactive is good, but if you have a commanding view of the battlefield and can assist multiple fronts from your position. Stand fast and bring the rain. Fire Support is normally delivered from Naval vessels and Stationary Artillery positioned with command. Some is mobile, but rarely does it get into "the thick of it."

So play it by ear, and if your team is winning its fine to be less mobile, but be mindful of the Kill/death of our team in the match.

No arguments there.

Mostly I'm just tired of LRM boats on my own team who act passively and wait for the fight to happen instead of helping shape the fight.

Unlike stationary artillery, or Naval bombarmdment, LRM boats have legs.

They can and should have back up weapons.

They are part of the armor total available to the team, in terms of soaking damage.

#10 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Sweet ... another thread about LRMs. I wish people would learn how to use search and read some before posting about the same thing over and over. Or I suppose people can just come onto the Forums and rehash the same thing over and over.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 07 September 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

No arguments there.

Mostly I'm just tired of LRM boats on my own team who act passively and wait for the fight to happen instead of helping shape the fight.

Unlike stationary artillery, or Naval bombarmdment, LRM boats have legs.

They can and should have back up weapons.

They are part of the armor total available to the team, in terms of soaking damage.

So... Something like this? Good long range support, with a big hammer when the other guy wants to cuddle!

#12 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

There are some topics that I wish they would just create a master sticky for and shove into a forum area notated as frequent community discussions. LRMs are one of those topics. Would be good to get the whole thing in 1 thread.

Edited by NextGame, 08 September 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#13 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 06 September 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

One thing I like about the LRMs - the face expression the LRM boating pilot makes when he meets my brawler TBR under 150m.
And then 'tis the Yardsale horn they hear.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostVoidcrafter, on 08 September 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

One thing I like about the LRMs - the face expression the LRM boating pilot makes when he meets my brawler TBR under 150m.
And then 'tis the Yardsale horn they hear.

So you like my predatory grin as I switch from LRM bombardment to an AC20 in your face? I'm glad to hear you enjoy my look of joy! :D

#15 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostYueFei, on 06 September 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

But not an aggressive *team*.

Now that the group queues are setup the way they are, and I've had the chance to fight against 12-mans, it's not rare to see a good 12-man completely wreck my team in about 1 minute of combat with direct-fire weapons. It seems like every 4 seconds someone else on my team dies.

Massed LRMs will kill someone pretty fast, and it ain't any fun for the guy on the receiving end of massed LRM fire from multiple platforms, but compared to focused direct-fire, LRMs are much less efficient in terms of TTK, and effective damage-per-heat. By the time massed LRMs have killed a couple guys, all their boats are overheating and faced with opposing mechs swarming into their minimum range.

I can fire Missiles all day without over heating...

#16 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostTezcatli, on 06 September 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Yeah. When you have a team of guys with the same idea. Otherwise you're the lone dude charging the LRM boat while his allies LRM barrage you and shoot you to pieces. : /

Man this has been me too many times. You get pinned down by LRMs and have two choices:

1. Sit there trying to hug your not so good cover and watch your health slowly go down
2. Move in and make them move to try to avoid your direct fire

Usually what happens though is I'm the only one that responds with aggression and then gets wasted while everyone tells me how bad I am for Ramboing.

#17 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostAllen Ward, on 08 September 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

I can fire Missiles all day without over heating...

OK? Way to let your vast heat capacity go to waste with a tiny throw weight of missiles?

That's like me saying I'm awesome because I can fire my 2xASRM6 all day. The only guy scared of that would be someone that's already cored CT. It's pathetic DPS. And in fact, on some maps, it's still not even heat neutral, LOL.

Edited by YueFei, 08 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostYueFei, on 08 September 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

OK? Way to let your vast heat capacity go to waste with a tiny throw weight of missiles?

That's like me saying I'm awesome because I can fire my 2xASRM6 all day. The only guy scared of that would be someone that's already cored CT. It's pathetic DPS. And in fact, on some maps, it's still not even heat neutral, LOL.

Used to be able to that with a Jager40, till some whiners ruined that for us! Oh and now Gauss can't be fired more than one at a time (or is it two?). Two much whine on the forums have wrecked the game.

#19 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostZolaz, on 07 September 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Sweet ... another thread about LRMs. I wish people would learn how to use search and read some before posting about the same thing over and over. Or I suppose people can just come onto the Forums and rehash the same thing over and over.

If you read my original post, you would see that the point I bring up is rather unique or rarely discussed.

Or did you just read the thread title, assume what the content was and then make a post about it?

#20 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Used to be able to that with a Jager40, till some whiners ruined that for us! Oh and now Gauss can't be fired more than one at a time (or is it two?). Two much whine on the forums have wrecked the game.

Definitely!

As to your comment on Gauss:

1) 2x Gauss can be fired at once.
2) 3x Gauss can not, however most opponents underestimate how fast the 3rd solo Gauss round can be fired So it's a quick Dual Gauss > Single Gauss combo.

Ultimately I felt the 15-18 tons or so was better off invested into other weapon systems, but I tried 3x Gauss and it wasn't as bad as I had expected (but decidedly less than optimal).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users