A Reply To Russ Re: New Pgi Game

Gameplay General News

15 replies to this topic

#1 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

Russ made a post, and that thread was then locked up, however I think that his post merits some response as I think it demonstrates some of the disconnect that PGI currently has with its player base.

His post:

This is obviously the number one question.

I absolutely feel I can answer with 100% confidence that the development of a second game will no impact MWO in any way. Now let's remember saying it will not impact MWO development is not the same thing as saying zero resources will be shared or swapped.
For instance it might be the case that were completely finished developing an Installer and build process for MWO just as an example, if the resource who develops those aspects for MWO moves over to develop those items for our second project, it doesn't impact MWO development in any way. There are other examples that would be valid as well, at this point MWO is a mature product and even though we still have lots of work to do, its not the same type of work we have been doing these first three years.
MWO development is dependent only on it's own viability as a product and nothing else. As long as you the customer are supporting its development we will continue to develop it.
Since I will have more opportunities to answer this quesiton I will leave this question with that much information and move on.

There are a few glaring issues with these statements.

First, this suggestion here:

For instance it might be the case that were completely finished developing an Installer and build process for MWO just as an example, if the resource who develops those aspects for MWO moves over to develop those items for our second project, it doesn't impact MWO development in any way.

This is clearly not true.

Unless it was planned that you would fire that engineer upon completion of that single task, putting him onto another project upon completion of a task for MWO most certainly will impact the development of MWO directly. You're not impacting the task he just completed on MWO, but you are directly impacting whatever NEXT task would have been assigned to him. You are removing development resources from MWO.

at this point MWO is a mature product and even though we still have lots of work to do, its not the same type of work we have been doing these first three years.

I'm sorry, but this is clearly not the case.
MWO is not anywhere approaching a mature product at this point.

The user interface for MWO is a tragic mess, which negatively impacts every user of your software. There are elements of it which were clearly designed to some degree, but then never fully implemented, such as the list/icon buttons in the top left of the different selection areas. There is no way that you can possibly consider the current user interface to be "mature" by any stretch of the imagination.

Its user interactions need to be heavily streamlined, as they require far too many clicks and mouse movements to be considered efficient. Information is difficult to access, and mech building is cumbersome. The mere fact that it functions is not the same as it being mature, or complete. I think many of your most ardent supporters support the current interface under the assumption that it is only one step towards some better, more complete interface.

Likewise, your network code is still a mess. We have players desyncing nearly EVERY GAME. I am being absolutely serious here. I literally do not remember the last time I played a game that didn't have someone desync or disconnect. At least once every single day that I play this game, I suffer from at least one desynchronization from the server, with my client disconnecting and needing to re-log in.

Beyond those issues, you have still failed to deliver on the major elements of community warfare. Given that you previously described these as major pillars of the user experience, how can you possibly consider the current software to be mature, when it's missing those critical elements?

And clearly, given that you have still given us virtually no information about how any of that will play out, it's most definitely not just "the same type of work you've done these past three years". Community warfare is something that is supposed to be unlike what we've seen thus far. And it doesn't even exist in the game yet.

Russ, your current game is not a mature product at this point. It's been around for a few years, that's true, but the glacial pace of its development has prevented it from being at the level of maturity one would expect given that long of a development timeline.

There are lots of major things which need to be addressed in MWO prior to it being mature enough to be considered in the support section of its lifecycle.

#2 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

MWO is far from been a mature game

#3 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

May this thread live long and prosper, shielded from the modsquads.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostRoland, on 07 September 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Russ, your current game is not a mature product at this point. It's been around for a few years, that's true, but the glacial pace of its development has prevented it from being at the level of maturity one would expect given that long of a development timeline.

Considering "minimal effort" was done to improve the game, calling it mature is amazing semantics really.

For instance, the long standing missing teammate Doritos bug has actually increased in frequency since the more recent patches.

Loyalty points bonuses that were offered in the Phoenix Pack mechs are unusable (aka have no value or meaning).

Oh yes, and the targeting letter bug is back, and alive as ever.

"Mature" product is a loose definition for "minimal polish" to the game.

Edited by Deathlike, 07 September 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#5 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Whenever I stop by after months away I'm reminded of how disappointing this whole thing has been.

What classic IP are these clowns going to destroy next?

#6 Will Pike

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

Sadly, I think this game will slowly die as resources are funneled to this new project and die hard mechwarrior fans loose heart and leave. The only thing that keeps me playing is a love for the mechwarrior series, and in the end I dont think that is enough to keep people here.

Edited by Will Pike, 07 September 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

My spider sense is telling me that this thread will get butt-tons of likes.

#8 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostWill Pike, on 07 September 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

Sadly, I think this game will slowly die as resources are funneled to this new project and die hard mechwarrior fans loose heart and leave. The only thing that keeps me playing is a love for the mechwarrior series, and in the end I dont think that is enough to keep people here.

Sad... I smell Cryptic Games and Star Trek Online all over again..... "shared resources"... I smell maintenance phase till they try to bundle and sell off to the next company a product.

Hey PGI!!! Call up Perfect World, they turned around Star Trek Online after Cryptic dumped it, maybe they can do the same here.... and they have money, lots of it, and love buying F2P games, especially iconic IPs.

#9 StandingInFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have cut PGI a lot of slack, the only thing that can redeem this is that it was a troll/someone hacking his account. Under current conditions of MWO they can't afford to divert devs onto another project unless they are hiring completely new staff and such for it or it is a complementary game.

#10 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostCreovex, on 07 September 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Hey PGI!!! Call up Perfect World, they turned around Star Trek Online after Cryptic dumped it

Gaaahhh...sorry, I tried to resist the urge to correct this minor bit of misinformation, but I can't stop myself. Cryptic didn't dump STO. In fact, it is Cryptic that still develops STO. Cryptic was owned by Atari and Atari dumped them, so PWE bought Cryptic.

#11 Will Pike

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

I honestly think the only way to fix this game is to sell it and let someone else take over.

Edited by Will Pike, 07 September 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#12 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Where did Russ post this? Link?

#13 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

Anyone got a link to the mentioned thread that quote is from? I'm honestly shocked by his post, and it may very well be the end of my future purchases.

#14 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 07 September 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

Anyone got a link to the mentioned thread that quote is from? I'm honestly shocked by his post, and it may very well be the end of my future purchases.

It's in this thread, at the bottom of the last page:

http://mwomercs.com/...lore-part-deux/

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 07 September 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Where did Russ post this? Link?

View PostWarHippy, on 07 September 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

Is that what you really want?

Prepare for disappoint.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3698755

Edited by Deathlike, 07 September 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#16 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

As per Bryan's post here: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3698747

Let's please refrain from creating new threads until after the Q&A/Town Hall tomorrow.

Thanks!

edit: corrected link to point at the correct post of Bryan's.

Edited by Mal, 07 September 2014 - 08:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users