So Is Mwo Considered Complete Now?

82 replies to this topic

#21 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Only two states follow maturity, decline and death....

#22 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

This game was complete in beta. Anyone play CS:S? All it had was pvp just like this game.

#23 Blacksoul1987

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

This game is far from complete. This new announcement has me very concerned but i'm not going to start jumping to conclusions any time soon.

#24 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

This title is a tad more demanding in the content needed to satisfy the player base than some other random shooter.

#25 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostRoland, on 08 September 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Russ believes that MWO is currently a mature state, and that future development is just more of the same stuff they've already been doing int he past.

Which is absolutely ridiculous, of course.

Edit:

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Then, I think he is a fool. For this to be true we would have a working inter stellar map. Laid out factions WITH Canon units. Established and working Player made units that are able to WIN territory. Now we are likely a pre teen state.

I really thought pre teen was one word?

Truly epic word filter - it allows "pre teen" in text but stars it out in the link.

Edited by stjobe, 08 September 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#26 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

View Poststjobe, on 08 September 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Which is absolutely ridiculous, of course.

No, it's not. I think you're misunderstanding what he is saying. They need for the future to develop more content, which is what they have been doing for a bit. They don't need to focus on new technologies, or building game systems from the ground up or figure out how to even implement a mech or stuff like that.

While there's still a lot of things missing for this game to actually justify calling itself much more than a mod for Crysis, I think bashing should be done on an enlightened background. So, bash away on them now.

#27 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Is mechwarrior tactics out of Berta?
So that would b 2 incomplete games and one which was shelved, sins of a developer or something it was called.

#28 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostHenri Schoots, on 08 September 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

So that would b 2 incomplete games and one which was shelved, sins of a developer or something it was called.

Neither of those games has anything to do with PGI (developer), rather, they were both funded by IGP (publisher). Two different companies, yo.

I've never understood why people think PGI's MWO earnings went toward funding Tactics - PGI didn't have anything to do with Tactics, except for allowing IGP to use the MechWarrior IP (which they probably got paid for).

IGP, MWO's publisher, likely used some of their profits from MWO to fund Tactics, but that's completely different than PGI funding it.

Edited by DEMAX51, 08 September 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#29 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostPOWR, on 08 September 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

No, it's not. I think you're misunderstanding what he is saying. They need for the future to develop more content, which is what they have been doing for a bit. They don't need to focus on new technologies, or building game systems from the ground up or figure out how to even implement a mech or stuff like that.

While there's still a lot of things missing for this game to actually justify calling itself much more than a mod for Crysis, I think bashing should be done on an enlightened background. So, bash away on them now.

No they are needing to develop the game itself. They have been doing nothing but producing sellable content (mechs) since the founders program and havent deviated from that.

#30 bluepiglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

We thought MWO was to be like a journal in a boat, us and PGI on board having a good time. We were wrong.

It's us being the boat here and once PGI gets across the river we are nothing but a burden to them therefore gets left behind.

#31 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostPOWR, on 08 September 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

That's debatable. The game engine working is about the only thing that can be considered "done". They're still doing major work to weapons mechanics. CW is nothing but a picture at this point. The UI is a disaster. Those are all fundamental game mechanics.

I consider new content to be mechs, maps, and events within a fully functional game.

#32 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Here is the saddest part for me. This game was named one of the best shooters of all time not that long ago by a prominent gaming magazine. It feels like a half finished Rembrandt or something at this point, like the devs slapped themselves on the back instead of saying, "Let's finish this game and make it to #1." That's where I would have liked to see the resources go... into fulfilling the potential this game had immediately, not the start of a new venture.

#33 Illegal Username

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Tactics is dead. IGP laid off the developers months ago and did not bother telling people:

Hi Paul, unfortunately our development contract on MWT was cancelled in December last year. Please contact IGP for updates. Regards.

We are sorry for the confusion but as you can imagine we showcase every game we have worked on, specially one we are so proud of having been a part of. Indeed IGP should have taken our logo from the MWT game but we cannot hold a grudge against them for not doing so. Our take on the matter is that they did not bring any new developer in so all development since last year has been internally done at IGP. Then again, we have not been kept on the loop since December so please talk to them for official information

https://www.facebook...839973932702897

Edited by Illegal Username, 08 September 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#34 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 08 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

I've never understood why people think PGI's MWO earnings went toward funding Tactics

Probably because the lion's part of the founders money went to IGP, who had two other games, one of which was MT?

By the way, the same MT that they canned the developers from back in December 2013 but continued to sell founder packs for up until the server move the other week.

Edit: Ah, ninja'd by Illegal Username.

Edit 2: I mean, I guess you could say helping pay back a publisher loan is "funding", but it's a bit disingenious to say "help us fund this game!" and then not spend the money earned on actually bringing the game forward.

Not until after the founder program was ended did they say that they would have gone forward with MWO regardless.

"Help us fund the game" brings in more money than "help us repay our loans", I guess.

Edited by stjobe, 08 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#35 Illegal Username

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

I did not even know they were still selling Founder's packages for MW:T.

That goes from scummy to plain hilarious

#36 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Poststjobe, on 08 September 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

Probably because the lion's part of the founders money went to IGP, who had two other games, one of which was MT?

By the way, the same MT that they canned the developers from back in December 2013 but continued to sell founder packs for up until the server move the other week.

Edit: Ah, ninja'd by Illegal Username.

Still doesn't mean that PGI funded MechWarrior Tactics...

Yeah, PGI had to pay money to IGP, their publisher, as part of their contract - which is standard practice. IGP decided to spend that money however they wished - which is their prerogative - that still doesn't have anything to do with PGI.

And your second point about development stopping on MWT, but still selling founders packages right up until the end - those are choices IGP made. Again... nothing to do with PGI.

Edited by DEMAX51, 08 September 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#37 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 08 September 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Still doesn't mean that PGI funded MechWarrior Tactics...

No, and I didn't say they did. But you asked why people thought MWO's earnings went toward funding Tactics, and that's why - because it did, in a way. The founder program paid back (part of?) the developer's loan IGP had granted PGI, and IGP funded Tactics.

Edited by stjobe, 08 September 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#38 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

unless it's king's quest, the next classic IP they "reboot"-to-the-curb there will enjoy far less investment by "founders" GL

#39 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

All indications are that Mechwarrior Tactics is going to get shutdown. The website has been in '72 hour maintenance' for 2-3 weeks now, and the developer's contract with IGP expired in December of 2013.

#40 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

No you big dummy, the game will be complete when they put a 100% sticker next to it in the Plan. Look at ui2.0 for example, one day they added a 100% to it and we never got to hear about it again. Does that put your mind at ease?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users