Stop Freaking Out

21 replies to this topic

#1 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

Personally I take the fact that PGI is making a new game indicative that they are experiencing some amount of success.

Success for PGI can only mean better things for MWO as long people keep playing it. In fact I would say it seems like the staff has been doing rather well lately at least on communicating with us players anyways. I can hardly see them putting in more effort like that if they were relegating MWO to life support as some of the doomsdayers seem to think

White Knight shield up - flame away

Edited by cSand, 08 September 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

PGI has a history of making fairly poor games, and then moving on.

At this point, given MWO's extremely unfinished state, it seems premature to already be moving onto the next game.

If PGI is not going to devote all of its attention to MWO, I do not believe they will be able to ever deliver on their prior promises, given that they have failed to deliver on their promises even when MWO was their sole focus.

#3 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

Game companies can work on more than one game at a time without compromising quality. Just because PGI is working on another title doesn't mean they have to divert resources away from MWO.

(This didn't materialize overnight. They've probably been working on this title for quite some time, *while* working on the clans and Community Warfare)

Or, people can panic and blow it out of proportions. Whatever. I have popcorn for the latter.

#4 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 September 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Game companies can work on more than one game at a time without compromising quality. Just because PGI is working on another title doesn't mean they have to divert resources away from MWO.

But given Russ' description of what constitutes "not removing resources from MWO", it's clear that they are willing to take actions which clearly do remove development resources from MWO.

(This didn't materialize overnight. They've probably been working on this title for quite some time, *while* working on the clans and Community Warfare)

And as a result, we still don't have community warfare in any real sense, at all... and we're still playing only 10 maps.
We got the clans, because those could be sold for real money.

#5 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostRoland, on 08 September 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

PGI has a history of making fairly poor games, and then moving on.

At this point, given MWO's extremely unfinished state, it seems premature to already be moving onto the next game.

If PGI is not going to devote all of its attention to MWO, I do not believe they will be able to ever deliver on their prior promises, given that they have failed to deliver on their promises even when MWO was their sole focus.

Well, as Russ pointed out, they haven't "moved on".

It's not like working on 2 games at once is some kind of unheard of new insane territory for a game design house.

Plus I believe CW is the last of the "promises" you guys seem to love clinging onto for the last 3 years :P

Some of you forum guys are in fact so engrossed and sucked into the negativity of these forums that you simply will refuse to see any other way. So arguing with the "black knights" is a fool's errand since in the minds of the grouches, there is no other way for this game to go then down.

Or, people can panic and blow it out of proportions. Whatever. I have popcorn for the latter.

take your reasonable thinking and GET OUT

Edited by cSand, 08 September 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#6 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Come on guys, we all know the new game is really just a teaser for Phase 2 of CW

#7 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

View PostRoland, on 08 September 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I´d call that a bit unfair... But then again i am able to split game and feature. As a game it is in a pretty good state. Most things work and balance was good(not perfect mind you) pre-clan and steps are being taken to adress that.(because we all know that there would be no real way to test balance any way before it hit live. Not even the most devious mind can come up with all the ways to break a system)

Now i assume you talk about features, and there ofc i have to agree with you. When it comes to features this game is light on delivering. But the core game is by no means unfinished.

View PostRoland, on 08 September 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

And as a result, we still don't have community warfare in any real sense, at all...

Again not to argue against you but i am not sure that CW is a "throw money and manpower at it" kind of problem... It would rather seem to be a problem with "realising the vision" kind of problem. And now i do not know what field you work wihtin... But it is my experince that those either have to take time or you have to at one point "take em out behind the shed" so to speak.

I prefer if the later does not come to happen.

Edited by AlexEss, 08 September 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#8 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Big game companies with resources to spare, PGI that has failed to keep up development pace for a single game will suddenly be able to keep up two games at once? Highly unlikely, and frankly wishful thinking.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

They know its just a matter of time before people stop playing this game. They're hedging with the hopes they can always keep one running :)

#10 Ahja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

If they cant make a game work that that was finished 30 years ago and that so many other company's have had great success with what could they do right? What makes you think they can do anything good with this misrepresentation they made of BT/MW? Now they are going to try something "epic"? Not for me. No thanks.

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostAhja, on 08 September 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

If they cant make a game work that that was finished 30 years ago and that so many other company's have had great success with what could they do right? What makes you think they can do anything good with this misrepresentation they made of BT/MW? Now they are going to try something "epic"? Not for me. No thanks.

Go right now, and make a FPS using the BT TT rules

Then come back and tell me how much it sucked in 1000 words or less

#12 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostcSand, on 08 September 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Plus I believe CW is the last of the "promises" you guys seem to love clinging onto for the last 3 years :P

You just hit the nail right on the head, cSand... but not the way you THINK you did...

Edited by StaggerCheck, 08 September 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

What im surprised about is they started the other game under the same company. I would have guessed they would have started a new company so if this one goes bankrupt they would still have some protection.

#14 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostTorgun, on 08 September 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Big game companies with resources to spare, PGI that has failed to keep up development pace for a single game will suddenly be able to keep up two games at once? Highly unlikely, and frankly wishful thinking.

Small companies don't become big ones by hedging their bets on a single title. PGI has churned out a lot of work since this past January. But Community Warfare is only in its infancy with affiliations, so I suppose that means they've done nothing.

I work as a programmer in a tech firm. Companies can chew gum and walk at the same time. No one even knows what the scale of this next project is. It's a little early to scream about that sky falling now.

#15 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

I will go on record and say that anyone that takes anything pgi says at face value is a fool. Period.

#16 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 September 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Small companies don't become big ones by hedging their bets on a single title. PGI has churned out a lot of work since this past January. But Community Warfare is only in its infancy with affiliations, so I suppose that means they've done nothing.

I work as a programmer in a tech firm. Companies can chew gum and walk at the same time. No one even knows what the scale of this next project is. It's a little early to scream about that sky falling now.

The development of MWO has been really slow no matter how you look at it, and the dev team can't keep up with one game, but they can keep up with two no problem? As a programmer I assume you can handle basic math and logic fine, how do you think this is logical in any way?

#17 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostcSand, on 08 September 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well, as Russ pointed out, they haven't "moved on".

It's not like working on 2 games at once is some kind of unheard of new insane territory for a game design house.

Wait, so you don't believe that Community Warfare actually was a fundamental feature of what was sold to us back in 2011?
If you don't believe that, then it's perhaps much easier to understand your complacency.

For many players, however, Russ lacks credibility. The fact that he says something doesn't carry any weight any longer.

View PostAlexEss, on 08 September 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

I´d call that a bit unfair... But then again i am able to split game and feature. As a game it is in a pretty good state. Most things work and balance was good(not perfect mind you) pre-clan and steps are being taken to adress that.(because we all know that there would be no real way to test balance any way before it hit live. Not even the most devious mind can come up with all the ways to break a system)

But let's be honest about the state of the game.

Community Warfare is one of the fundamental pillars of design that was originally sold to us when enlisting founders. That was years ago. It was promised to us multiple times (and later shown that even while promising us that it would be delivered in 30 days, development had not even started on it). And it is so fundamental to the overall game experience, that one would expect it to result in significant changes to everything else.

That would mean that there is no way you can consider a game without that major feature set to be "mature" or "feature complete". If you know that you are planning on adding in a MAJOR change to the overall game, then you are going to de-stabilize everything. It is going to require significant investment of time and effort to work through that. This is not merely a support issue.

Beyond that, the technical state of the game is nowhere near what I would consider mature to the point where it is a product in its support stage.

When was the last time you played a game where no one got disconnected? For me, every single day I play I experience de-synching at least once. And in virtually every single game I play, at least one pilot gets de-synced or disconnected. EVERY GAME. That is not a stable product in the support stage of its lifecycle.

#18 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostTorgun, on 08 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

The development of MWO has been really slow no matter how you look at it, and the dev team can't keep up with one game, but they can keep up with two no problem? As a programmer I assume you can handle basic math and logic fine, how do you think this is logical in any way?

They claim they have independent funding for the new project; presumably that will be used to hire additional resources to cover the work load.

#19 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostTorgun, on 08 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

By what metric are you declaring their work as "slow"? Have you seen the number of lines of code they've written? Have you seen their project board as each line item and user story have been taken off? As I've mentioned before, PGI has churned out a lot of work since January. Obviously you don't feel that's enough, but what would be "enough" in that regard? Community Warfare's completion? By what definition do you declare it "complete"? You're making an accusation without establishing any metric to define it.
If you want to bash the 2013 version of PGI, I'm with you. They were horrible last year and pissed off a lot of people - myself included. But since January, they have produced and they have communicated. Community Warfare, if that's what you're looking for, is coming. Obviously not fast enough for you, so you're decrying PGI as "slow". But that's your problem, not theirs.</p>

#20 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostUnsafePilot, on 08 September 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

They claim they have independent funding for the new project; presumably that will be used to hire additional resources to cover the work load.

Either way Russ and Bryan will have an extra ball to keep in the air, and they've shown they drop a single ball quite often. But suddenly they can juggle two just fine. Right. And that's assuming you actually believe they haven't used MWO funds to make whatever this game is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users