Reading Negative Posts And A Forum Change Idea

20 replies to this topic

#1 Tzion

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

I have noticed recently that I have pretty much started skipping over extremely negative posts when reading the forums. Has anyone else started doing this? I mean it's not like a single extremely negative post ever says anything new. Here is the short list of things that every super negative post says:
PGA lies, no community warfare, 3pv, ghost heat, rinse repeat use of same terms or synonyms.

I am not saying that every post that mentions one of those things is super negative but you can tell which are very quickly. At times you can almost see the rabid foam coming out of these posters. So my question is why even bother reading the rest of the post? The post won't say anything new and the person saying it is pretty much a lost cause. I say we just completely skip over such posts and don't even bother responding to them.

My request of the developers would be this: please implement a system that allows us to down vote a post and have thresholds for how many down votes a post can receive before it is no longer visible. Don't remove said posts but replace the text with "dropped below threshold". A good example of this can be seen over on league of legends forums. Now of course this can be abused but you could possibly do more to stop people from registering multiple accounts. Also its pretty easy to see a alternate negative account since it would probably be super negative on post number one. Also i am in full support of the idea that if someone gets banned then their in game account gets banned as well. That way they can not just log into the game and spew bile in the chat. This would really sting especially if that negative person was a founder. All of that money spent to have their purchases taken away by their own actions. Another possible way to prevent a person from repeatedly opening new accounts would be to tie the account to the person's IP address. This can be circumvented but the less computer savvy would be stopped.

I think something like this is needed due to a lack of impact that the current up/down voting a player has on the forums. I know exactly what happened to my rating. I had a good rating after the couple of posts that I had made. Then I decided to do a post congratulating the developers for creating a game that I felt was fun and I wanted to start a thank you thread. Unfortunately, I made this post at a time when people were very negative and I got jumped all over for doing the post. At that point in the space of one day I was down voted repeatedly until I reached my current popularity. I decided at that point just to PM Nikolai asking him to pass on my thanks to the team and then to save my own thread from d evolving into another attack PGA thread I decided to edit my own post by replacing the entire post with one line. I say all of this because I am likely not the only person who had this happen to me. I hope that moving forward based on the changes in the pipeline and a possible change in forum outlook that this truly is a new day.

Finally, I have really enjoyed playing this game and though I haven't played recently due to getting burned out by the community I am looking forward to dropping with you guys again.

#2 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

I have started doing this

#3 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

[color=#959595]I have noticed recently that I have pretty much started skipping over extremely negative posts when reading the forums.[/color]
thats the only Way Posted Image...new Features ? MWO is in Maintance ..

Posted Image

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 26 December 2019 - 10:01 PM.

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

It's cute you think there are any developers for MWO, or anyone involved in the community.

Give it a year maune and there won't be any MWO or forums to worry about. In the meantime, just dont read mean posts.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

#6 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:19 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 09 January 2020 - 01:42 PM.
unconstructive, staff abuse

#7 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:05 AM

It's a good thing this place is so less negative these days...

#8 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I tried to stay positive too.... 5 years ago.

#9 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostTzion, on 09 September 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

I have noticed recently that I have pretty much started skipping over extremely negative posts when reading the forums. Has anyone else started doing this? I mean it's not like a single extremely negative post ever says anything new. Here is the short list of things that every super negative post says:
PGA lies, no community warfare, 3pv, ghost heat, rinse repeat use of same terms or synonyms.

I am not saying that every post that mentions one of those things is super negative but you can tell which are very quickly. At times you can almost see the rabid foam coming out of these posters. So my question is why even bother reading the rest of the post? The post won't say anything new and the person saying it is pretty much a lost cause. I say we just completely skip over such posts and don't even bother responding to them.

My request of the developers would be this: please implement a system that allows us to down vote a post and have thresholds for how many down votes a post can receive before it is no longer visible. Don't remove said posts but replace the text with "dropped below threshold". A good example of this can be seen over on league of legends forums. Now of course this can be abused but you could possibly do more to stop people from registering multiple accounts. Also its pretty easy to see a alternate negative account since it would probably be super negative on post number one. Also i am in full support of the idea that if someone gets banned then their in game account gets banned as well. That way they can not just log into the game and spew bile in the chat. This would really sting especially if that negative person was a founder. All of that money spent to have their purchases taken away by their own actions. Another possible way to prevent a person from repeatedly opening new accounts would be to tie the account to the person's IP address. This can be circumvented but the less computer savvy would be stopped.

I think something like this is needed due to a lack of impact that the current up/down voting a player has on the forums. I know exactly what happened to my rating. I had a good rating after the couple of posts that I had made. Then I decided to do a post congratulating the developers for creating a game that I felt was fun and I wanted to start a thank you thread. Unfortunately, I made this post at a time when people were very negative and I got jumped all over for doing the post. At that point in the space of one day I was down voted repeatedly until I reached my current popularity. I decided at that point just to PM Nikolai asking him to pass on my thanks to the team and then to save my own thread from d evolving into another attack PGA thread I decided to edit my own post by replacing the entire post with one line. I say all of this because I am likely not the only person who had this happen to me. I hope that moving forward based on the changes in the pipeline and a possible change in forum outlook that this truly is a new day.

Finally, I have really enjoyed playing this game and though I haven't played recently due to getting burned out by the community I am looking forward to dropping with you guys again.

How about a "safe space" mode where only positive forum posts are generated by propaganda bots?

No need to ever hear a dissenting opinion or anything that may differ from ones own opinions. The Bots will tell you what you want/need to hear. Just like the neural nets used for advanced search engines. Check your prior history and filter your content to match an opinion you already have. No need to even consider another point of view the Bots will have you covered.

It's not anyone ever provided any positive advise to a player who may have had a frustrating day and posted in the heat of that moment right?

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

^ When you get baited into replying to a post from 2014

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:22 PM

remember when dissing negativity is that its what keeps you from falling through the ground. to the core with you all positive pansies!

Edited by LordNothing, 27 December 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 27 December 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

It's a good thing this place is so less negative these days...

That's because there are not many people left.

#13 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:46 PM

MWO game overall still has high negativity but the franchise overall has greater positivity since MW5 came out.

Gaming world is increasingly trending towards coop and PvE, MW5 doing the right thing here, swimming in the right direction where the river is flowing. PvP in the overall gaming market is still sustained through Battle Royale, MOBA and other esports genres, notably Autochess games.

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

The ignore list feature is a wonderful thing.

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:23 AM

^ Aren't echo chambers just the greatest?

#16 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:11 AM

I don't just skip mostly negative posts - I skip mostly negative posters. You know who you are. ;-)

#17 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 26 December 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

[Redacted]

Oh look...I got redacted. Not a surprise.

#18 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

stop being dumb and saying dumb stuff, problem solved.

#19 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

I would take that advice if it came from someone I even remotely knew or respected.

#20 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 26 February 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

I would take that advice if it came from someone I even remotely knew or respected.

whatever you say bud

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users