ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

View Post1453 R, on 09 September 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Now if only Inner Sphere beams didn't blow every goat in Creation...

Really...even post-nerf, Clan beams just make IS beams sit in the corner feeling bad. As a fan of beam weapons this is great for me since I can finally run beam-centric 'Mechs that aren't embarrassing, but it does make life difficult for poor Sparky.

learn that speed plus .3 second burn time MPL are your friends. Burst fire, twist, run away, repeat. Succeed.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 09 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#22 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

Its the third lore canon hero in a row, which is nice, and layout wise it definitely offers something IS Mediums lack. But not feeling it. My Griffins are long mastered and I enjoy them, but it lacks the new chassis charm of the St. Ives Blues.

#23 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 September 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

learn that speed plus .3 second burn time MPL are your friends. Burst fire, twist, run away, repeat. Succeed.

If we had 0.3s burn time MPLs, I'd totally agree :P. As I recall though, aren't the IS MPLs a 0.6s burn time? Not bad, but...well, I'd like them a lot more at 0.3s

#24 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Pretty decent hero mech but it could have used a higher engine cap to make up for the lack of any missile or ballistic hardpoints, in the same way the Jester has a higher engine cap than all other catapults.

#25 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

SPARKY

#26 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Anyone know if this Griffin is just as agile as the others?? That's where the mech really shines.

#27 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postcdlord, on 09 September 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Anyone know if this Griffin is just as agile as the others?? That's where the mech really shines.

They technically should be. It's not listed on smurfy's quirks list for some reason, but on paper it seems on par with the rest.

Technically, it'a a superior Jester (or Quickdraw-5K) in some ways.

High torso mounts with crazy articulation with the arms screams power. You could build it very much like the BJ-3, just without the high arms.

Which, inevitably makes the BJ-3 look worse by design (upping the engine cap on the sub-250 engine 45-tonners would actually help out).

Edited by Deathlike, 09 September 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 September 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

They technically should be. It's not listed on smurfy's quirks list for some reason, but on paper it seems on par with the rest.

Technically, it'a a superior Jester (or Quickdraw-5K) in some ways.

High torso mounts with crazy articulation with the arms screams power. You could build it very much like the BJ-3, just without the high arms.

Which, inevitably makes the BJ-3 look worse by design (upping the engine cap on the sub-250 engine 45-tonners would actually help out).

lazor-nipples ftw.

#29 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:58 AM

Best hero mech I've seen in MWO for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't want to pay even 50% of what they're asking for this mech. But it's certainly a good mech. I wish I had enough money to throw around on games to buy this, but the Clans have taken their toll.

The Cicada 2A is already one of my best medium mechs, with an XL280 engine and 6 medium lasers. To a have a Griffin with almost identical speed, far more armour, far better cooling, better torso twist, arms with lower actuators and 7 jump jets firmly makes this one of the best mechs in the game, for my playing style.

The whole point of Sparky, like the Griffin SRM boat, is that it's so fast and agile that it can keep finding the weak spot on the enemy. The slow enemy mechs will try to torso twist to hide their stripped components, but you'll run circles around them and jump over them, and keep putting them down.

Besides, this mech is bigger than some assault mechs. Why the hell would you put 2 ER Lasers on it? Makes it a poor sniper and a poor brawler.

#30 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

pure laser boats not my thing, guess Ill pass on it for now.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 September 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

Best hero mech I've seen in MWO for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't want to pay even 50% of what they're asking for this mech. But it's certainly a good mech. I wish I had enough money to throw around on games to buy this, but the Clans have taken their toll.

The Cicada 2A is already one of my best medium mechs, with an XL280 engine and 6 medium lasers. To a have a Griffin with almost identical speed, far more armour, far better cooling, better torso twist, arms with lower actuators and 7 jump jets firmly makes this one of the best mechs in the game, for my playing style.

The whole point of Sparky, like the Griffin SRM boat, is that it's so fast and agile that it can keep finding the weak spot on the enemy. The slow enemy mechs will try to torso twist to hide their stripped components, but you'll run circles around them and jump over them, and keep putting them down.

Besides, this mech is bigger than some assault mechs. Why the hell would you put 2 ER Lasers on it? Makes it a poor sniper and a poor brawler.

Yeah, it's not a great sniper, though having torso mounted large lasers and arm mounted mediums gives you options. With a max speed around 116, you aren't a Cicada or Jenner. Especially when you add in the aforementioned size.

6 Mlasers, is OK on it, though very situational. Right now, I actually have found that going a bit slower, and popping on 4 Large Lasers to be my most effective option. Been alternating between that, and 2 torso LPL and 4 arm MLasers, but boy howdy, pretty much no matter how you roll, Sparky seems to be a warm boy.

#32 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Yeah, it's not a great sniper, though having torso mounted large lasers and arm mounted mediums gives you options. With a max speed around 116, you aren't a Cicada or Jenner. Especially when you add in the aforementioned size.

6 Mlasers, is OK on it, though very situational. Right now, I actually have found that going a bit slower, and popping on 4 Large Lasers to be my most effective option. Been alternating between that, and 2 torso LPL and 4 arm MLasers, but boy howdy, pretty much no matter how you roll, Sparky seems to be a warm boy.

They should of given it an energy weapon heat generation quirk.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostNapes339, on 10 September 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

They should of given it an energy weapon heat generation quirk.

or like the Hellslinger, the environmental quirk.

But it should run cooler with lasers, IMO, yeah.

#34 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

That sparky is sexy. No doubt about it. Beams are high up on the torso. Arm beams for flexible shots, PPC gets the job done at range. Great well rounded mech.

#35 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

or like the Hellslinger, the environmental quirk.

But it should run cooler with lasers, IMO, yeah.

The environmental quirk is kinda cool but its a double edged sword depending on how its applied. I'd rather have a smaller constant buff than one that can bite me in the ass.

They also have 2 different types of buffs that affect heat which are heat generation and overall dissipation rates. Both of these could be interesting for Ol' Sparky.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 10 September 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

That sparky is sexy. No doubt about it. Beams are high up on the torso. Arm beams for flexible shots, PPC gets the job done at range. Great well rounded mech.

You just like the laser nipples. Admit it.
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 September 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#37 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

You just like the laser nipples. Admit it.
Posted Image

The term is "laser ****". Get with the times you geezer!

Posted Image

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 10 September 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

The term is "laser ****". Get with the times you geezer!

Posted Image

a picture from the 70s is more "with the times" than a Movie from the late 90s?

How retro of you.

#39 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

a picture from the 70s is more "with the times" than a Movie from the late 90s?

How retro of you.

Had to pick a non-nude one.

lazertits
**** that just can't be controlled. always popping out, nipples blazing. they have a mind of their own. they used to be g's, but they were downsized. they like to party. they could suffocate a man.

#40 Bill Shakespear

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

I played 10 matches last night with this Sparky build and had some success. I love it! It's like a poor IS man's Stormcrow.

I know, I know - No jump jets on a Griffin!? Sacrilege! I barely noticed their absence though. :( (Devs, please un-nerf them).

It also runs a bit warm, but after it is mastered it should be a lot better.

Edited by Bill Shakespear, 10 September 2014 - 08:05 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users