Map Maker

7 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

I think there should be reconsideration to a map making program for MWO. It would instantly make the game popular again. Is it really that hard to make a tile based map making system? All you need are tile sets and all people need to do to make maps then would be to fill a grid with different squares.

#2 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostSiliconLife, on 11 September 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I think there should be reconsideration to a map making program for MWO. It would instantly make the game popular again. Is it really that hard to make a tile based map making system? All you need are tile sets and all people need to do to make maps then would be to fill a grid with different squares.

It could, at first, be limited to private matches to aid in resources potentially, where the map is created and shared amongst the private players and only vetted through this process before going public.

This would allow for more maps to get generated and circulating and bolster the private arena.

#3 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I wouldn't mind a system of user-submitted maps. Like all games previously that did this, the VAST majority of these maps will be absolutely terrible, but there will be some gems.

PGI could mine those gems. Plus it gets user buy-in. Really, all PGI needs to do is release the assets - the "map maker" is CryEngine, and that's free:

http://cryengine.com/

#4 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

A great idea, than just make some competition between plyers designed maps... Also would be great to have not just Map Editor for MWO but also Mech Editor which can also could be a great help to developers/PGI. Make MWO more ethusiastic. Bring it on.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Has there ever been a tile based map with the crytek engine? I agree it would help the game a lot but they might have to do a complete reprogram.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Map maker... map maker... make me a map. Find me a find... catch me a catch... :P

#7 Quantum theory

Rookie

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

I am 100% for releasing the ability to create and submit maps.
They could also release the format of the existing maps and the documentation for those enterprising developers and data scientists out there to create their own as well.

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

It would take them less time to make mwo2 with unreal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users