33 replies to this topic

#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

I need a new IS Medium, and I'm debating between the Griffin, the Hunchie, or the BJ. Not willing to splurge on a hero mech yet (though I may eventually).

BJ - Jager light, a slower medium with firepower. I liked the champion build, but not sure if I'll like the others. Arrow looks fun, but not one I'll have for a while.

Hunchie - Lots of interesting options, probably the most tempting because it's different from anything else I've played. No clue if the Grid Iron is any good, but the SP and the P look like fun, and then maybe the J or the H/G (whichever is the 3 Ballistics one)

Griffin - Sparky looks fun, the others could be interesting up close brawlers (I enjoy my Shadowhawk 2H SRM/LPL/MG brawler) or long range support, but seems I could do similar stuff with the Shadowhawk. Since I won't be getting Sparky any time soon, that leaves me with the others I'm less sold on.

#2 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'll speak on behalf of the Blackjacks:

BJ-3
-You can fit three ERLLs (and alpha them) with the max engine (XL235) w/ JJ and still be a heat efficient and mobile sniper. High arm mounts make it even better.

Arrow
-I run 6MG 2LPL 1 ML Xl 235 and JJ. Lasers punch a hole and the 6 MGs do the rest nicely.

BJ-1X
-Highest engine cap of the Blackjacks for very nice speed but no JJs. You can boat MLs and be fire support, or be daring and boat Small Pulse lasers (with cooldown module and range module) for insane close-range DPS. (Yes, it's viable if you play smart)

BJ-1DC
-AC20 and three Medium lasers for a surprising amount of punch in a medium mech. Haven't tried personally, but others seem to enjoy it. You can also fit two UAC5's

I've seen a lot of talk recently about how the Hunchback doesnt do anything that another mech can't do better, so can't comment on those. Griffin is eh (imo), although Sparky does look like fun.

Edited by xeromynd, 11 September 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#3 Pacifist

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

One question is how important are JJ to you? That's the major reason I'm using my BJ rather than a hunch right now.

#4 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostPacifist, on 11 September 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

One question is how important are JJ to you? That's the major reason I'm using my BJ rather than a hunch right now.

I have plenty of JJ mechs, and it's nice, but I can play well enough without them.

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

I have at least 3 variants of each chassis mastered that you mention above. My playstyle leans more toward the lighter end of the medium weight class. When I'm in a slump, I always return to the TBT, but my 2nd favorite medium is the BJ.

Tell us a little about the type of play style you like. Direct fire, indirect fire, what type weapons you prefer.

#6 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

The best answer of course is 'all three!'

But, if you can't swing that yet, you've got a tough choice to make.

The Hunchback is a GREAT design, with lots of good variants and a compact chassis size. Big weakness is the hunch, of course. But you can do a lot of different things with the assortment of variants. Not a Grid Iron fan myself.

The Griffin is bigger, faster, agile, takes an XL well, but lacks any kind of ballistics on any chassis. The 1S is also a big hard point heavy in the RA. Griffins can make fast LRM boats, laser boats, SRM boats, and good mixed brawlers and LR support 'mechs. Kind of like the Hunchbacks, but faster, with some of the same weaknesses (they can't lose the RT). Sparky is a fun hero.

The Blackjack is, IMHO, the toughest chassis of the three to play. You're slow like the Hunchback, have slightly less armor, but good hard point locations. The Boomjack is a great custom variant. They can be fun, but also frustrating being small, fragile, and a little slow.

Best of luck whichever you choose.

#7 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Griffin is probably the best SRM brawler but apart from that not much you can do with them. Hero one is pure crap.
BJ is a good pop-sniper and a very decent AC20 brawler on either XL or ST engine. However it just doesn't have enough armor to compensate its relative slow speed.
Hunchie is a very nimble mech even without JJs, but still lacks the speed and manouverability of jumping ones. Apart from SP other ones will suffer the blown-hunch syndrome.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 11 September 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

BJ-3
-You can fit three ERLLs (and alpha them) with the max engine (XL235) w/ JJ and still be a heat efficient and mobile sniper. High arm mounts make it even better.

Interesting build, I run mine with 1 ERLL or LL and 5 ML. Same thing on the 1X, but with a larger engine, sans the JJ. I would be afraid of heat issues with 3 ERLL. I do run that build in my QKD though.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Tell us a little about the type of play style you like. Direct fire, indirect fire, what type weapons you prefer.

I'm flexible (see the list of mechs I currently own). I do the scout light, harrassment light, and support light pretty well, the mobile big mech, the weapons platform, and the long range support mech pretty well as well. Probably my 2 most played mechs are my Ember and Ilya (3 AC5/ERPPC or 3 UAC5/2ML builds), but I've been loving my support Kit foxes or late, don't mind my newer Highlanders, still love my Victors, and play the Stalkers, Battlemasters, Shadowhawks, Jenners, and Ravens a lot. Don't get my Jagers, Thunderbolt, Commando, Locust, or Cicada out as much though.

#10 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

BJs are glass cannons. They tend to pack the same weapons as larger mechs, just without the survivability. I enjoy my 1 (either 3xML + AC/20 or 2xAC/2 +4xML) and the 3 (2xPPC +2xML) though I haven't played it recently. The 1X is neat, 8xML and speed. The 1DC is... unfortunate. Less torso movement, and no JJ. The two extra energy hardpoints aren't worth it imo. You just don't have the weight to use ACs and 6 lasers. All are good hill humpers

Hunchies are brawlers all the way. They have one of the widest torso twist ranges in the game (maybe the widest). With all the skills at elite, the arms have 190 degree yaw to each side (as in you can shoot in any direction with them) and your torso has 150 degrees. I really like my 4SP (2xSRM6 + 4xML). The variants also offer a nice variety of weapon options to keep them interesting.

I've got no input on the griffons. Haven't played them yet.

#11 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Looks like you like Ballistics load outs. I'd recommend either the BJ or the Hunchback. The HBK has the best torso twist, you can run in one direction and be shooting a pursuer behind you. Just don't run into a wall. ;)

Edit: Dawins Dog beat me to it on the torso twist.

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 11 September 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#12 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

Pick BJ for ballistic.
Pick griffin for missiles.

pick hunchy only if you really don't know what role you like in this game, and is poor, but want to experiment with builds.

#13 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

I would get the Hunchback as you have several 260 STD available from your heavies.

#14 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Griffin - God tier SRM brawler. It has very balanced hitboxes, tanky arms, very good mobility and an insane torso twist. Limited customizability due to speed requirements and SRM+ammo taking up all the tonnage. It's good but it'll bore you pretty quick because of that.

Hunchback - Pretty nimble medium with okay hitboxes. 4SP, 4J, GI and 4G are completely obsoleted by 55 tonners though. 4P is the truly unique one because of its insane firepower and skill cap. 4H is a very fast AC20 lobber with the possibility of a lot of backup lasers. Hitboxes are side torso heavy(both sides) but it also has an insane torso twist which makes tracking with 4P lasers and AC20 very easy.

BJ - I don't own these, but as far as I can tell they're great at packing big weapons in a very small profile. Their engine cap is low so you can go crazy with weapon tonnage.

#15 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

The first question is, why you would want to bring a 45 or 50 ton if you can bring a 55 ton? Since there is no tonnage balance, your 45 ton BJ can be set against a 55 ton Shadowhawk or even a Murdercrow.

Therefore, I would recommend the Griffin. It can only mount lasers and missiles, so the available builds are quite limited. But it is one of the toughest mediums using it's arms to shield. Griffin with STD-Engine is similar hard to kill as a Centurion, but has jump jets and is 5 tons heavier.

You also should consider the Wolverine. However, my impression is that the WVR is not as good as SHD and GRF.

#16 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

I would get the Hunchback as you have several 260 STD available from your heavies.

I feel embarrassed, I may have sold some of them... though I usually try to keep at least 1-2 of any engine I have floating around.

RE: Tonnage balancing, that may be true in the game, but is not true in some private matches that I play occasionally.

#17 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'd say you want a ZJ.

Posted Image

#18 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

I have mastered my Griffin 1N, and recently brought my Hunchback 4H to master as well. Never played with Blackjacks apart from a little trial use months ago.

The Hunchback is probably known as an AC20 with legs; I do well in it when I'm content to follow an Atlas D-DC around, and peak around the juggernaut while he holds their attention. I don't think hunchbacks are much good for anything else as their cockpit view is limited, the energy boat variety suffers from energy boat heat, and everyone aims for your hunch when they spot you.

The Griffin 1N has suprised me with it's performance. Seven jumpjets can actually get you over obstacles, torso twisting is enough to expose your back armor to something you were facing if it comes down to it, and 3 missile hardpoints give you a good deal of burst damage to pad with torso twisting. Cockpit view is spectacular as well.

I can't speak for the blackjack, but I suspect ammo becomes a drawback with it. It is certainly a limitation of my hunchback, and that mech does not have jump jets.

#19 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postxe N on, on 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

The first question is, why you would want to bring a 45 or 50 ton if you can bring a 55 ton?

There are still some decent builds that 45 ton can do (and I mean just blackjack), that 55 can not do well. 50 ton though... there is no reason, everything they can do, both 45 and 55 can do better (except hunchy 4p).

Edited by pulupulu, 11 September 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#20 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

BJ - Has the coolest hero mech (love me 6x MGs paired with about anything is good)
Griffins - Best cockpit in the game
Hunchbacks - We all love them for the sake of nostalgia being our first medium mechs. But honestly, I haven't played them in a while because they just feel clunky compared to the other mediums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users