34 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hey everyone,

As we continue to roll out updates and new content for MW:O there will be occasions when these changes may affect the stability or performance of the game on certain systems. While we do what we can to ensure continued playability for as wide a range as systems as possible with each new update, integrated graphics chips are less-than-ideal environments for running an increasingly large portion of modern games.

Recently, MW:O users running these integrated graphics chips have started experiencing persistent crashes upon entering MechLab, and have been unable to access their in-game Settings in order to reduce their graphical overload and increase their chances of functionally running the game.

Included in this post you will find the contents of an attributes.xml geared specifically toward these environments. These attributes will force the lowest possible settings for your MW:O client. It won’t be pretty, but at the very least they should get you back in the game.

Please note that this should only be considered a temporary workaround for running MW:O in its current state. We can't guarantee that future updates won't outpace the performance abilities of lower-end graphic cards or systems.

To implement these settings, follow these instructions:

Locate the attributes.xml file in your \Users\"your username"\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\"your pilot name" folder.
Right click on the file and select Edit.
Replace the entire contents of the file with the information contained within the spoiler tag below and save the file.
If all is well and the planets are aligned, you should be able to run MW:O.

Spoiler

#2 zje

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for working to keep this game available to as large an audience as possible! I would like to add that while "integrated graphics chips are less-than-ideal environments for running an increasingly large portion of modern games," the integrated graphics of today are not the same as integrated graphics of the past, as indicated by Intel's HD graphics and AMD's A-Series.

I haven't played for very long, but has MWO ever taken a hardware survey like many other games? It might be useful to see the distribution of what players use what. Of course, everyone realizes that this game's value is tightly dependent on having as large of a community as possible.

#3 Andilar

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

This fix got me into the UI after 5 months of occasional frustration. Here's to hoping that I can play in a few minutes time!

Thank you!

#4 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

View Postzje, on 18 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Thanks for working to keep this game available to as large an audience as possible! I would like to add that while "integrated graphics chips are less-than-ideal environments for running an increasingly large portion of modern games," the integrated graphics of today are not the same as integrated graphics of the past, as indicated by Intel's HD graphics and AMD's A-Series.

I haven't played for very long, but has MWO ever taken a hardware survey like many other games? It might be useful to see the distribution of what players use what. Of course, everyone realizes that this game's value is tightly dependent on having as large of a community as possible.

Every user that signed up for the game during closed beta was required (might not have been REQUIRED, it's been a while but i believe it was) to allow MWO to download and run an application that gathered their hardware information (You could look at the file prior to it being sent, if you wanted to make sure no personal information was gathered) so they could see what the majority of their interested player base was running with at the time. I believe that's the only time they have done this.

Based on the lack of surveys and such since then I'm going to assume they are satisfied with their findings from that time (or maybe they still ask every new user for hardware? I think that was temporary but I may be wrong). If anything they are probably aware that as time goes on more and more will have upgraded to something new by now that can handle harsher requirements. I was running integrated graphics on a laptop at that time and now I'm on a HD 6570 first time budget rig. Not pretty but definitely run-able for MWO's foreseeable future.

#5 zaytsev

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

what folder do we need to edit?

piranha game--> MWO-->user-->profile-->zaytsev....?

Edited by zaytsev, 30 September 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#6 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

View Postzaytsev, on 30 September 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

what folder do we need to edit? piranha game--> MWO-->user-->profile-->zaytsev....?

Edit the attributes.xml files contained in all of your profile folders (if you have more than one).

#7 PrometheusTNO

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

THANK YOU! I like to poke around the MechLab on my not-so-great work computer, and it stopped working a while back. This got me running again!

#8 Slade Forrester

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:19 AM

Posted deleted due to pulling my head out of my a$$ and figuring it out...

Edited by Slade Forrester, 24 October 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#9 Sinatro

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

When I try to edit this file I get a prompt that appears that asks me to make sure this file isn't open somewhere else or being used by another program. I have already restarted my computer and nothing is working, need help.

#10 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostSinatro, on 26 October 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

When I try to edit this file I get a prompt that appears that asks me to make sure this file isn't open somewhere else or being used by another program. I have already restarted my computer and nothing is working, need help.

For those issues, place a copy of the file somewhere else on your system (such as the Desktop). Make the changes to that copy, then replace the original with the copy.

#11 Matacks

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks! this helps.

yea, i found that after moving the attributes folder to desktop once so that could edit it, I was able to edit it again later without having to move it.

Edited by Matacks, 12 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#12 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

This made a big impact visually on my laptop drastically cutting out detail but it barely seemed to of improved the FPS at all.

What has done is the Razer game booster, setting windows appearance to basic (adjust for best performance), runiing it on minimum resolution possible in windowed mode (or full window), disabling the AV and running the laptop on a laptop stand with built in fan using an Ethernet cable and on mains only.

Edited by mad kat, 18 November 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#13 disdroid

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

This fix doesn't work anymore with the latest patch. So sick of dealing with this. Seems like Piranha want's us to buy a new computer with every patch update. If they don't want me to play, then I won't. It's as simple as that. Sickens me the money I've spent on mpc, and I can hardly ever play the damn game. Over it...

Edited by disdroid, 20 November 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#14 Holdfast

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

Running on an Intel HD 4000 doesn't work. I'd think that "Running a 4 fps" would be an expected result; crashing and creating a crashdump.dmp less so. That's not failure of the hardware having enough horsepower, that's a programming issue.

Update: redoing the xml changes avoided the crash; I must have missed something. The big change was that I started in window'ed mode as opposed to full screen. My apologies to the developers.

(How I got here: running an msi gt70 laptop with a secondary video card. Video card died, so it got pulled and am now running on the onboard graphics chip. Which, honestly, isn't wretched, but apparently not up to the needs of the game.)

Anyone got a recommendation on what settings I can use to make it "playable"?

Edited by Holdfast, 26 November 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#15 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

Greetings all,

Just to make sure your config. changes are actually being seen.

- If you do alter or change any of it, ensure when you save it, you save it as an .xml file and not a 'text' element.
(opening that file or reading it may use the normal windows text editor to do this, and want to default save it as that .txt type of file.)

Just some info,
9erRed

#16 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:22 AM

One thing ive noticed that makes a big improvement is dropping your field of view right down. I tried as low as 60 while that did make it look like i was permantly zoomed in it clipped off a lot of cockpit as a result my fps jumped up. Does this mean that rendering the cockpit takes up a lot of resources.

Pgi---- can we have a toggle to remove the cockpit for better performance?

#17 Leopardo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:54 AM

guys i want to get my fps up on radeon integrated chip in my notebook!! can i?

#18 Conrade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

Think its work.

#19 B4R4

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for posting this fix, works fine for me. Trick seems to be setting the display resolution in the attributes.xml, this was the only difference to my file i could find.
I'm running now lower 30ish fps on min settings. Playing on laptop, i5 3320m (so hd4000) with 16GB ram.

#20 Don Quixote de la Mancave

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

It would be nice if the menus and the in game content could have separate resolution settings. The game runs a treat if I use 800X600 or even 960X540, but there are controls that I cannot access prior to the launch of a game.
For instance at these resolutions I cannot sell equipment, Camo colors are not fully selectable and CW does not launch (buttons off screen).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users