3 replies to this topic

#1 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

Pretty much as it says. I can't seem to find much of a guide on it anywhere, and I'm... generally not one to poke around with files without knowing exactly what I'm getting into.

Anyone got general cfg settings that help improve performance? Others to make it look nice? Somewhere to balance it in the middle?

#2 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

I would really like to know this, as well. Here is all mine says on my laptop:

sys_MaxFPS = 20
cl_fov = 60
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass= 0
r_DepthOfField= 0
r_HDRGrainAmount= 0

The low max FPS keeps my computer from getting too hot and underclocking to cool down. Without this, it goes to 40 fps, then drops to single digits.

60 is the minimum field of vision.

The rest were added in a patch some time ago and included in the notes, so I don't expect they will be disabling them. They aren't big performance hits, but every little bit helps.

It's frustrating because if they would just let us enable occlusion culling and disable shadows, frame rates would double or triple.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

No one has sat down to write a guide, and many of the strings depend on the system, and even then, we don't have a large enough body of knowable to have anything go in without a testing phase …

Conversely, you should have found something with a search of the forums …

#4 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostGoose, on 03 November 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

No one has sat down to write a guide, and many of the strings depend on the system, and even then, we don't have a large enough body of knowable to have anything go in without a testing phase …

Conversely, you should have found something with a search of the forums …

Even if he had looked, it would not have been useful. What works and what does not has changed over time, and no one seems to have posted what exactly changed or when.

User.cfg settings are totally unsupported by PGI, and the only way to find out about them is by extracting game files, which is against the terms of service. I've even asked support@mwomercs.com, and while they were very polite and apologetic, they could not help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users