#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Don't know how many have seen this, so here's the link;

http://mwomercs.com/...island-comment/

This is by far the best explanation I've read about "The Island", so I want to give credit to RB where it's due.

Among many of us this phrase, along with "Not the Target Audience" are two of the most infamous quotes in the history of MWO. At least now, it's been explained in a manner I think of as acceptable, and I for one appreciate it, however overdue it is.

It still won't satisfy everyone, and it doesn't mean that all is now forgiven, but at least it's a good start in the direction of reconciliation between the Devs and the Forum Community. I think I can scratch that one off my list of things I've felt insulted about now.

With that said, I want to segue to the topic of a "Council" which has been so much a part of the discussion lately.

I read somewhere where a poster referred to them more as a "FOCUS GROUP" and I actually like that description better and I'll tell you why. It's less about ECM and game mechanic fixes and more about giving the Devs a diverse group of players who they can run stuff by before making an announcement.

This Focus group won't have a Veto or anything like that, but it could provide the Devs with a group that might just give them an "early warning" that something they might plan to say just might not be taken the same way by the forums as they intend it to mean. THAT is a good thing and hopefully it can prevent future misquotes and misunderstandings.

Oh yeah, and fixing some game mechanics those guys can help with that too. I know how much people love to talk about that.

#2 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

It is a focus group. Russ just doesn't want 1000 people screaming contradictory comments at him, because there's no way to make any conclusions from that sort of situation other than "these people are all insane".

#3 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Posted Image

#4 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 15 September 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yes, Russ' efforts are clearly like the Joker trying to destroy a city.

If you want people to take you seriously, you have to learn how to post in a manner that warrants it.

Is this your first gaming experience on the internet? Player run councils or liasons with developers have popped up in other online games before. This is not new, nor is it a reason to worry about some descent into anarchy.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 15 September 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

Russ, things like that damage communication like nothing else. Had a superintendent at our plant who in a similar situation During us working towards ISO certification said we were a "Damaged Workforce". Oh You should have heard the outrage. So when we not only got the ISO Cert, but we nailed it 4 months faster than anyone else in the company. He came around shaking hands and I just looked at him and said, "So much for us being a damaged workforce!" Then walked away.

Its hard to recover from flubs like "the Island". You took a good step, I can respect that. I hope you understand that I will not let you live it down, but only in fun. Cause flubs like that are just priceless man!

#6 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 15 September 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Yes, Russ' efforts are clearly like the Joker trying to destroy a city.

If you want people to take you seriously, you have to learn how to post in a manner that warrants it.

Is this your first gaming experience on the internet? Player run councils or liasons with developers have popped up in other online games before. This is not new, nor is it a reason to worry about some descent into anarchy.

Pfffft if you could read into the depth of the picture which I posted. Russ would be Harvey Dent, and the community is the Joker. I'm speculating we're about to see a whole new side to Russ, and humor is a wonderful medium for which to convey that message.

#7 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 September 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

Russ, things like that damage communication like nothing else. Had a superintendent at our plant who in a similar situation During us working towards ISO certification said we were a "Damaged Workforce". Oh You should have heard the outrage. So when we not only got the ISO Cert, but we nailed it 4 months faster than anyone else in the company. He came around shaking hands and I just looked at him and said, "So much for us being a damaged workforce!" Then walked away.

Its hard to recover from flubs like "the Island". You took a good step, I can respect that. I hope you understand that I will not let you live it down, but only in fun. Cause flubs like that are just priceless man!

But did his comment not inspire you to work harder to achieve the ISO Cert? Certainly seems like it to me.
That sort of thing is actually beneficial to some people. I'm one of them, when someone tells me something can't be done, or that i personally cannot do it, i will go out of my way to prove them wrong.
My boss picked up on that and thats how i got to where i am, but the one you describe it sounds like he judged that telling you warm fuzzies would be less effective than simply challenging you to reach for it.

Just my thoughts on it /shrug.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Me maybe... ISO was really just that easy to get done. That other plants took longer was likely due to scale of operation to our Research toolroom. The boss in question was generally just a douche.

#9 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Definitely too late (now, probably, because of publisher's responsibility now on them not IGP?). Time will show if too little.

#10 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

The very fact that this thread exists tells me that you are an oversensitive bunch who do not understand what a real insult looks like.

I cannot believe that some people not only held a grudge for 15 months, but blew up a Kickstarter over it.

#11 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 15 September 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Among many of us this phrase, along with "Not the Target Audience" are two of the most infamous quotes in the history of MWO. At least now, it's been explained in a manner I think of as acceptable, and I for one appreciate it, however overdue it is.

Agreed.

But easily the best thing that's going on right now? Russ is posting instead of tweeting.

Russ, I find it a little hard to believe that you thought that person you were tweeting with could possibly be alone in their opinion, but I accept that it was your position at the time. (Sorry man, couldn't resist. ;))

I think you'll find that posting results in fewer misunderstandings. After all, you're not limited to 140 characters on your own forums so you can explain what you mean in greater detail. It's really good to see you posting. Keep it up; things will eventually get better.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 15 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

The very fact that this thread exists tells me that you are an oversensitive bunch who do not understand what a real insult looks like.

I cannot believe that some people not only held a grudge for 15 months, but blew up a Kickstarter over it.

You haven't had a lot of experience with People of the BattleTech community. We hazed MW:DA for months prior to its release, and after the storyline was introduced we demanded the TTDEVs not follow that garbage of a timeline. So much stupid involved in the DarkAge storyline.

#13 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

My island.

#14 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 15 September 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Agreed.

But easily the best thing that's going on right now? Russ is posting instead of tweeting.

Russ, I find it a little hard to believe that you thought that person you were tweeting with could possibly be alone in their opinion, but I accept that it was your position at the time. (Sorry man, couldn't resist. ;))

I think you'll find that posting results in fewer misunderstandings. After all, you're not limited to 140 characters on your own forums so you can explain what you mean in greater detail. It's really good to see you posting. Keep it up; things will eventually get better.

What he said, but in Canadian eh.

#15 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Russ, something that has bothered me for some time is the missed Community Warfare deadlines. Not the fact that you missed them, which is bad enough, but the fact that those missed deadlines always seem to coincide with a large Mech package being dangled on a string. It seems that Community Warfare has served you well as a convenient and convincing sales incentive. If you could do one thing and do it well here on the forums, it would be going into detail about how someone from the company can stand on a stage during the launch event, behind a microphone, and basically promise Community Warfare within 90 days. Spell out the hurdles that got you from that point to no Community Warfare as promised. As I recall, the Phoenix and Sabre Reinforcement packages were on sale at that time. This, more than anything, has damaged Piranha Games and your overall image. If you guys miss Community Warfare again, with this new Clan package on the horizon... well... pitchforks and torches.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostWolfways, on 15 September 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

My island.

That was more than 5 seconds! :lol:

#17 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

That was more than 5 seconds! :lol:

Don't blame me, i didn't make it :P

#18 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 15 September 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Russ, something that has bothered me for some time is the missed Community Warfare deadlines. Not the fact that you missed them, which is bad enough, but the fact that those missed deadlines always seem to coincide with a large Mech package being dangled on a string. It seems that Community Warfare has served you well as a convenient and convincing sales incentive. If you could do one thing and do it well here on the forums, it would be going into detail about how someone from the company can stand on a stage during the launch event, behind a microphone, and basically promise Community Warfare within 90 days. Spell out the hurdles that got you from that point to no Community Warfare as promised. As I recall, the Phoenix and Sabre Reinforcement packages were on sale at that time. This, more than anything, has damaged Piranha Games and your overall image. If you guys miss Community Warfare again, with this new Clan package on the horizon... well... pitchforks and torches.

I'd say they'd be happy if they didn't have any reputation at all of any sort after such an event.

PGI's only way to dig themselves out of the hole they're in currently, in terms of reputation, is to keep their recent good work and release CW on time. They've changed a lot in a positive way since unshackling themselves from IGP. But now they have to show they can stay the course and deliver.

I want the promise I shelled out 120 bucks for to be fulfilled, even if it's two years or so late.

And I'm not the only one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users