• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

So There I was in PUG on Alpine with My Hellslinger. When one of our company had a wild idea! Defend the Base. We were dropped by the basin of death so we took up positions and waited.

The enemy showed up on top the hill 19 hundred Meters away we traded LOOOOOONG range PPC showers for the giggles waiting for each side to break. Taunting ensued, a fast flank was repelled. In the end they came to us as was the plan, and fell like chaff.

Great Idea to buck the norm. Excellent patience by everyone on our side. Good brawl (for us) at the end. It was a nice change of pace from high ground wins.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

There are lots of places to dig in & fortify on alpine, not just the tallest peak and the comm tower.

Fortifying a different location is a refreshing change of pace, I wish maps did more to give incentives to different areas.

#3 Nathan Xain

• PipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

I had a fantastic puggie game on Alpine over the weekend where a couple of us managed to convince most of the rest of the team to stay by our base- it worked really well, communication was good, it and resulted in a convincing win.

I had always hoped to experience a game on that map like that and it was a great change to watching half your team run off in different directions and explode alone. If that is how some of these new game modes and maps might play then, for me at least, it will keep me hooked on this game for years to come.

#4 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 September 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

So There I was in PUG on Alpine with My Hellslinger. When one of our company had a wild idea! Defend the Base. We were dropped by the basin of death so we took up positions and waited.

The enemy showed up on top the hill 19 hundred Meters away we traded LOOOOOONG range PPC showers for the giggles waiting for each side to break. Taunting ensued, a fast flank was repelled. In the end they came to us as was the plan, and fell like chaff.

Great Idea to buck the norm. Excellent patience by everyone on our side. Good brawl (for us) at the end. It was a nice change of pace from high ground wins.

I was in a group that decided to do that once as well (spawned on the lower base) but we got rolled. Too many people on our team hid behind cover for too long.

Edited by Kain Thul, 15 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

I had a Skirmish game on Alpine over the weekend where both teams headed for Mt. Tryhard, but when we reached it first the other team held back and waited to see what we'd do. We also waited to see what THEY would do.

Surprisingly, neither team got anxious. We spent ~10 minutes carefully scouting each others' positions. At one point, my team pushed down off of Mt. Tryhard into the valley so that we could see up the road between the comm tower and the base. When the enemy reacted to that, we pulled back and then a group of us jumped off into the base and pushed north.

To this point, no Mechs on either side have been destroyed.

We got 6-7 Mechs to the north side of the base more-or-less undetected. The enemy was starting to get a bit spread out at that point. They had several on the comm tower hill, a couple in the ravine behind the comm tower, and a couple on the slopes of Mt. Tryhard. But we were split basically in half - we had 2-3 in the valley taking potshots up the road between the comm tower and the base, 2-3 more on the secondary mountain at the corner of the base, and 6-7 Mechs north of the base looking down the road that runs behind the comm tower.

That's when it happened - we managed to get a kill. This is probably 12 minutes into the match, and there still very little damage to anyone.

But with only 3 minutes to go, the enemy was forced to react. Their Mechs on the comm tower hill joined the ones on the road behind the comm tower and they pushed en masse toward the base. Our 6-7 Mechs that were up there formed a firing line to repel them... but they turned down the hill toward our group in the valley. D'ohh!

So we pushed forward and broadsided the enemy as they started down the road. It rapidly degenerated into a massive brawl as our valley Mechs charged up the valley road and our Mt. Tryhard Mechs jumped down into the fray.

Final score was 10-2 (our favor) as time ran out. Other than the 1 kill that triggered the charge, pretty much everything happened in the last 2 minutes.

Very fun. Much carnage.

#6 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

One solution for Alpine and Tourmaline is that the base locations actually change time to time (aka like the 2 resource capture points Kappa and Epsilon that shift locations on Forest Colony).

As for the OP - Very rare have I been defending the lower valley base.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

It's nice to hear that other people are trying to use other parts of the map and having fun doing it.

I routinely take pugs to K10 on Alpine skirmishes, especially if my team is the one that starts in that general area. I've had maybe 12 matches there so far and every one of them was a resounding win. It works because the enemy team sits at the top of Mt. Tryhard and stares down at you but their LRMs can't reach you, so they're eventually forced to try and flank from the valley and you're there waiting for them with guns at the ready and hopefully a nice firing line.

I've been wanting to take a team to H12/H13, but every time I try, my team just tries to move to H11 and snipe and they die instead of luring the enemy up through I12. Wish I could find a team that was patient enough, though.

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Alpine is my least favorite map, but good matches do happen.

I wish there was a bit more cover on the map to obscure the sight line from "the hill" to the lower base.

Also a rather large and wide tunnel that might allow the lower base mechs to bypass or go under "the hill",forcing the defending high base team to split some forces off the hill to watch the tunnel. Have the tunnel large enough so I fire fight could go on in there (and not a fish in a barrel scenario like Forrest Colony).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users