11 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

When PGI was still working on MWO under IGP, a lot of people suspected that IGP was the reason why every competition had such cheap prizes. I'm not talking about challenges here, I'm talking about competitions. E.g. "Get best score in ten solo matches this weekend" or the 12-man competition.

I also want to point out that this makes no difference for me personally, because I'll never win any of those competitions. I just think it's bad for the game when the prizes are so cheap. Especially for the grind-heavy competitions where people spend 12+ hours of gaming to place within the top 10, and then they get MC worth less than a Big Mac.

In the spirit of all the positive stuff going on lately, I don't want to sound very negative. I just very sincerely recommend that future competitions have big prizes, because giving out MC, premium time, hero mechs and cockpit items doesn't cost PGI anything, but bigger prizes do create a lot of buzz which is good for the game.

And while it's not a competition so much a fun event, it just seems strange to give 500 MC (about 3 dollars) to people who basically won the lottery and managed to drop in a match with a dev, and then get the kill. I really like the little medallion, that's cool. But why hand out 3 dollars worth of MC? It's just very weird.

So again, this isn't about personal gain, I'm just making a proposal which I think will cost PGI nothing, but will earn them a lot of good will and help increase excitement around future competitions. It's a pure win-win situation for them, and it has no direct impact for me personally. Or for 99.99% of the other players on this game, who would still love PGI for it.

And if PGI wanted to get really serious, I'd love to see a special camo pattern that could only be accessed by people who won an official PGI competition, either solo or group-based. A nice feather in the cap for the competitive players out there, since we lack a leaderboard in this game. But that's probably too expensive. :ph34r:

#2 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

When the contests are less biased towards pure grinding it might be worth putting in bigger rewards.

#3 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

It is all about the local laws. Give aways under a certain value are not regulated under Canada law, but it is area dependent. So, it is a matter of what laws the new data center fall under.

It is like games of chance and gambling. If there were no laws, person A could have a give away that makes sure person B gets the funds, there by bypassing taxation to a certain extent. That is why it is regulated imho.

Edited by Dracol, 14 September 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostDracol, on 14 September 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

It is all about the local laws. Give aways under a certain value are not regulated under Canada law, but it is area dependent. So, it is a matter of what laws the new data center fall under.
It is like games of chance and gambling. If there were no laws, person A could have a give away that makes sure person B gets the funds, there by bypassing taxation to a certain extent. That is why it is regulated imho.

That makes no sense at all, since these are digital items that cannot be legally distributed by anyone except PGI. If we're talking about cash prizes and free cars, I get it. But how does tax affect MC?

What about 200 million C-bills as a prize for the competition? Will PGI have to pay 25 million C-bills as tax to the Canadian government? What about unique items, such as camo patterns?

#5 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Im not canadian, and im not sure how your stuff works, but they did state in one of the contests a while back that there was a total giveaway cap on any event...based on value? not real world value, but what it would take to buy it...idk, legal crap gets weird, esp. in a different country/jurisdiction

that said, is there anything that keeps them from doing more of these events?

Edited by KamikazeRat, 14 September 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#6 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Has to do with Canada Law.

so no, probably not.

#7 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 September 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

That makes no sense at all, since these are digital items that cannot be legally distributed by anyone except PGI. If we're talking about cash prizes and free cars, I get it. But how does tax affect MC?

What about 200 million C-bills as a prize for the competition? Will PGI have to pay 25 million C-bills as tax to the Canadian government? What about unique items, such as camo patterns?

Never under-estimate the shittiness of politicians and their sense of entitlement to any pie that crosses their path, real or imaginary.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Russ actually commented in another thread about how they're still working under the IGP prize restrictions regarding MC, and he hopped to fix that soon. So expect there to be a change in what they can offer, and hopefully soon. I wouldn't mind earning some MC.

#9 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

When your prizes are less than a meal at McDonalds ... you might be doing it wrong.

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostBront, on 14 September 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Russ actually commented in another thread about how they're still working under the IGP prize restrictions regarding MC, and he hopped to fix that soon. So expect there to be a change in what they can offer, and hopefully soon. I wouldn't mind earning some MC.

Cool, glad to hear it!

#11 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Actually the cap is from the former partner IGP. I believe I read the agreement is through this weekend and thats why its only 500 mc for the first 50 kills.
edit: looks like I got nijaded but I read a similar thread.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 14 September 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Well....

I guess we can just lock this thread now :)

http://mwomercs.com/...iation-program/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users