- - - - -

Saying Hello, And Looking For Some Input

15 replies to this topic

#1 Omraa

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

First of all hello everyone, i've just started playing and about to finish the 25 cadet missions...

I was just wondering what my first mech should be and was just wondering if I say what i liked some of the more experienced folks than myself could point me in the right direstion.

I like speed and mobility, I like jump jets... that thing that keeps me off the enemy radar cant recall its name off the top of my head, doesnt need to hit like a train but hurt a little more than a wet noodle...

I know thats a fairly presise list especially for someone just starting out, but on all games that have a weight class system in place i always tend to like the same things :D

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Omraa, 07 December 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#2 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

ECM... radar jammer

Spiders for ECM speed and jumping, Jenners for jumping and speed, Ravens for ECM and some speed, Commando ECM or the Pirates Bane Locust ECM sound like what you like...

HI!

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 07 December 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hello and welcome to MWO and the forums!

Sounds like you're interested in light mechs. Have you piloted the Trial Mechs called Jenner and Firestarter? These two are wonderful places to start and if you've spent some time playing their Trial versions you'll have some XP stockpiled to upgrade their Efficiencies as soon as you buy them.

All Innersphere mechs are sold "stock", which means you'll need to Upgrade to Double Heatsinks, and usually Endo structure and almost all light mechs also need Ferro armour, plus all mechs need the right size engine. Do some research on builds that interest you can figure out what the best engine to buy is, because you can buy one engine and just move it around between the mechs you own until you can afford more engines. The Trial mechs are built with all these upgrades already, so you get a taste of what a fully built mechs will play like. Some Trials are more effective then others, so really get a taste of what the chassis itself feels like and think about what kind of weapons you'd rather have on it - then you can look at the variants available for that chassis and see if one matches your taste.

Some mediums may also interest you, such as the Shadowhawk and Griffin, which can be built to a topspeed of around 110kph with jumpjets. The Griffin is usually an SRM brawler, and while the Shadowhawk can do the same, it has more options. They may not be as fast as lights, but you'll definitely benefit from their extreme maneuverability.

It also sounds like you're interested in ECM. ECM only comes on certain mechs, like the Raven 3L and Spider 5D. The Kitfox and Mistlynx can also equip ECM, but they're slower support mechs and not as fast and nimble as Innersphere lights. They tend to pack more efficient firepower as a tradeoff.

An alternative to ECM is the Radar Deprivation module, which you unlock using GXP on the Skills tab and then equip to your mech in the mechlab via the Module tab. It costs 15,000 GXP and 6,000,000 C-Bills, but it's worth buying one early and transferring it to whatever mech you plan on using. It's a must-have for light mechs because without it the enemy can see where you are behind cover for a short amount of time, whereas with it equipped, if they can't see you, they don't know where you are.

As a bonus tip, Locusts and Commandos are the fastest mechs in the game and also have ECM variants, but they don't have jumpjets and they're also extremely fragile and notoriously difficult to pilot. I wouldn't recommend looking into them unless you're really up for a frustrating challenge.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Tarogato, 07 December 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

Yeah sounds like the one that fits your requirements is the Spider. What were your impressions playing the trial Spider?

Also, only one of the Spiders can equip ECM and non of them have particularily good hardpoints.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 07 December 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#5 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

what about the Pirates bane? ECM 4 lasers and 160kph plus?

#6 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 07 December 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Yeah sounds like the one that fits your requirements is the Spider. What were your impressions playing the trial Spider?

Also, only one of the Spiders can equip ECM and non of them have particularily good hardpoints.
FYI, the Spider isn't on Trial rotation at the moment. :P

For the record, Spiders are some of the most irritating mechs in the game, despite the fact that they tend to pack very little firepower.

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 07 December 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

what about the Pirates bane? ECM 4 lasers and 160kph plus?
A Pirate's Bane is still a Locust. Would you recommend a Locust as a first mech, especially one that costs MC?

Edited by Tarogato, 07 December 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#7 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

yeah...!

or a cicada ECM

#8 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

Welcome to the game, Omraa! I'm procrastinating a final paper at the moment, so forgive the brevity of my advice. Fast and light are good things. Light 'mechs are however, hard-mode engaged. I would try something a little less mobile and a little more armored and therefore forgiving before you jump into the light que. Medium 'mechs can provide just about everything you're looking for besides 140+ kph. The down side to medium chassis is that ECM requirement you listed. There currently isn't one. Be that as it may, ECM is a poor substitute for knowing maps, situational awareness and finding cover. Those come with time and trust me when I say that you'll pick it up quickly in this game. The learning curve is steep. If you make it a few weeks without rage quitting, you'll be a one-man death squad.

If you insist on Light 'mechs, the chassis you're looking for is the Spider, or the Raven 3L specifically. Both the Firestarter and the Jenner are better chassis without ECM.

In the medium category, I would look at a Hunchback, Cicada, Griffin, Shadowhawk, or maybe even a Blackjack. The Cicada being the fastest of the bunch, but no Jumpjets.

The Hunchback and the Shadowhawk tend to be very new player friendly, but the Hunchback has no Jumpjets and the Shadowhawk is a little slower. The Blackjack would fit what you're looking for, but needs a little practice before it really shines.

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of advice incoming, MWO has a great new player community. Please ask us anything, we're happy to help.

#9 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

some of the cicada's (3m for ecm) with their quirks are very nice, also if your not married to ECM you can never go wrong with a shadowhawk.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:35 PM

if you are after ECM and Jumpjets there are only 2 options:

Spider, really fast and maneuverable but lightly armed,
the SDR-5D can mount ECM, all variants can mount Jumpjets and with speed tweak can move at 150, Spiders are cheep to purchase but expensive to outfit as you will probably want all the upgrades it will cost close to 10 million cbills to purchase and fully outfit your first spider, you can then transfer the engine to the others, so the second and third will only cost about 5 million
this is my ECM Spider build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b73316745ec12c9

Kit Fox, the Kit Fox is heavily armed for its (30 ton) weight but it is still faster than most Medium Mechs, however the Spider can literally run rings around at if both are moving at top speed.
there is an omnipod available for the C varient right arm, that allows any Kit Fox to mount ECM and 3 AMS, the S varient torsos and legs come with fixed Jumpjets, you can buy the omnipods in the Mechlab or just buy the S first then transfer the relevant pods to the other variants. it will cost about 7 million to buy and outfit a Kit Fox

also the Mist Lynx has ECM and Jumpjets but will not be available for cbills until 6th of January, and is less survivable than the Kit Fox or Spider, but it can mount ECM and Jumpjets with speeds roughly half way between Spider and Kit Fox.

if ECM is not vital I would suggest looking into the Griffin, Shadow Hawk or Wolverine, they cannot mount ECM but all mount Jumpjets and can be setup to move 100+ with good firepower, those 55 tonners make great starter Mechs, but are not quite what you asked for.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:03 AM

I generally prefer my Kit Fox for ECM&harassment compared to my Raven, but I don't have an ECM Spider which offers an even faster and much more evasive chassis.

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

The Cicada is probably not a bad option if you are willing to forgo jumpjets. They can pack a decent punch and carry ecm. Personally I love spiders. Their maneuverability and speed make up for their lack of firepower. The 5d carries the ecm you are looking for and some of the more popular weapon loadouts are 3mpl (18 damage), 2 ml 1 erll (19 dam), and erppc + ml or 2 sl or tag (15, 16, or 10 w/LRM support).

#13 Omraa

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thank you all for the reply's guy's really informative and helpful :D...

Just thought i'd share what has happened since taking up some advice, I went with the Kit fox in the end the (S) model and its been working out pretty well so far, took somewhat of getting used to but its been a hell of a lot of fun. :)

#14 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

I didn't post in time to offer any help on your decision, but i think you'll enjoy your kit fox just the same.

In the end, you're going to resort to playing it like a small medium anyways... because its speed and armament are those of a medium. It's fragility will definitely keep you on your toes enough to stay in touch with the demands on a light pilot, but also make you great eventually as a skirmishing medium pilot that knows how to angle for position to unload a heap of damage and then fade away again, avoiding taking any damage.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

Honestly... getting an ECM mech as your first will teach you tons of bad habits.. I would advise against it... that said..

HBK's, centurions, griffin, shadow hawk, or wolverines to me are the best mechs you can get to learn on.. sense the quirks hit, i feel no longer are the 55 toners the only option., heck even the trebuchets or the kintaro can work as newbie mechs again,

HBK's seeing most people run STD 250's in them are the cheapest to buy/outfit.. which makes them prime mechs for a first timer. they also have a wide array of weapons and load outs, so you can really try just about every weapon in the game with um, and they will work well with them.

check here to see load-outs, and play around before you buy http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ that said, all the other mechs i listed do have a varrient that comes with an XL-275, or XL-300 which are both fantastic engines..

#16 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostOmraa, on 07 December 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

First of all hello everyone, i've just started playing and about to finish the 25 cadet missions...

I was just wondering what my first mech should be and was just wondering if I say what i liked some of the more experienced folks than myself could point me in the right direstion.

I like speed and mobility, I like jump jets... that thing that keeps me off the enemy radar cant recall its name off the top of my head, doesnt need to hit like a train but hurt a little more than a wet noodle...

I know thats a fairly presise list especially for someone just starting out, but on all games that have a weight class system in place i always tend to like the same things :D

Thank you in advance :)

You might enjoi the COM-2D

It has ECM and is very nimble. No Jump Jets, but it's small size make it hard to hit.

Rule number #1. Never stop moving at full speed. If you stop you are toast... Learn how to aim while running 151 KMH.

The Spider is a great mech also.

The Raven is a bit slower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users