112 replies to this topic

#41 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 September 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

This is what the King Crab is probably gonna look like.

Posted Image

It's in the latest community-shoutout-video-thing.

Seems like the applicability of XL engine will depend entirely on how they allocate the hitboxes.

Oh God I hope it looks even half that cool.

#42 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Going by the concept art, something tells me it's gonna have xbox huge legs and relatively tiny/balanced torso hitboxes. I hope I'm right.

Why? Well, let's say I fired up MML yesterday and managed to get dual AC/20 and an XL400 in...

EDIT: Also, I'm seriously hoping the ''pincers'' end up working like missile bay doors - not because I want that 10% damage reduction on my King Crab's arms, but because opening 'em up to reveal two autocannons is gonna look BADASS.

Edited by Chrona, 24 September 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#43 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:39 AM

That's an excellent idea! I was thinking you could add a quirk of extra arm movement mimicking someone with full arm movement, but this works as well.

#44 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostChrona, on 24 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

EDIT: Also, I'm seriously hoping the ''pincers'' end up working like missile bay doors - not because I want that 10% damage reduction on my King Crab's arms, but because opening 'em up to reveal two autocannons is gonna look BADASS.

I had that exact thought. You are right about those legs, though. They might become massive targets.
Edit - Especially if they're housing AC20 ammo.

Edited by DrRedCoat, 24 September 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#45 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

Concept art will need signifigant adjustments to avoid animation clipping when it walks and turns it's torso.

Here's what to expect adjustment wise:

*Slightly more upright position.

*Slightly wider torso

*Slightly wider arm mounts.

*Bigger(laterally) Groin upon which the torso is mounted.

#46 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

XL = I say only for ranged builds. I see not to much problem with 2 guass, 1 er large laser, and LRM's for the king crab.

BUT you better put that extra tonnage you saved to armour... a problem with xl is that your a 100 ton mech, with 2 guass rifles which is relatively a small weapon for it's weight and non explosive ammo and then a few other weapons... DHS and Endo steel could easily save more space and such...

#47 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostChrona, on 24 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

Going by the concept art, something tells me it's gonna have xbox huge legs and relatively tiny/balanced torso hitboxes. I hope I'm right.

Why? Well, let's say I fired up MML yesterday and managed to get dual AC/20 and an XL400 in...

we all wanna juts run around making clack clack clakc clack, thats the truth behind the pincers being able to open and close.

#48 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 October 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

we all wanna juts run around making clack clack clakc clack, thats the truth behind the pincers being able to open and close.

Posted Image

#49 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

this is all just my opinion, but putting an XL engine in any assault is tantamount to suicide. You wouldn't put one in an Atlas, and you shouldn't put one in a King Crab.

#50 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostTime Bandit, on 09 October 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

this is all just my opinion, but putting an XL engine in any assault is tantamount to suicide. You wouldn't put one in an Atlas, and you shouldn't put one in a King Crab.

I've gotten good results from putting 400XLs in Battlemasters. And XLs are common in Victors. Depends on the mech and the engine.

#51 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostEscef, on 09 October 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I've gotten good results from putting 400XLs in Battlemasters. And XLs are common in Victors. Depends on the mech and the engine.

what Victors are good at has never been my bag. in TT, XL engines are alright in assaults but in this game, it's way too easy to pinpoint damage on torsos and with an XL engine, an IS assault is just a walking target.

#52 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostTime Bandit, on 09 October 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

what Victors are good at has never been my bag. in TT, XL engines are alright in assaults but in this game, it's way too easy to pinpoint damage on torsos and with an XL engine, an IS assault is just a walking target.

what if it's a long range assault mech? like with 2 guass and an er ppc? or 3 er ppc's, or er large lasers, or ac boats? or lrm boats!
(these apply commonly to: awesome, victor, highlander, king crab (most likely), banshee, battlemaster, stalker)

#53 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 10 October 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

what if it's a long range assault mech? like with 2 guass and an er ppc? or 3 er ppc's, or er large lasers, or ac boats? or lrm boats!
(these apply commonly to: awesome, victor, highlander, king crab (most likely), banshee, battlemaster, stalker)

The Stalker is a big nono just like the Atlas because of it's easy to hit side torsos.

Generally though, long range builds suffer less from XL engines than brawlers because they take less damage and are harder to hit. I'm pretty sure the King Crab will be allright with an XL350 and 2x ERLL for example.

Take this atlas as a template, a Gauss/XL Build might look like this: KGC test.

62 KPH, 2x Gauss 2xERLL 2xSSRM2 and 4 critslots to spare(from the removal of lower arm and hand actuators), could drop a few heatsinks if you want to fit an AMS or BAP or upgrade the SRM's.

A pure AC20 build would probably look like this: KGC Std300.

62 KPH, 2x Med Laser/AMS and 2xAC20 with a standard engine. 8 tons of ammo keep you well supplied but you are a pure pinpoint brawler now.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 10 October 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#54 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

... Assault with XL engine?! Normally no way for me but depends on the hit detection of this variant.

#55 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:37 PM

Thing is the KGC might also have variants that could mount 4xUAC5 for example which might warrant an XL to deal with the enormous ammo consumption.

Now If UAC5's get ghost heat put into them, which I'm predicting since a 100t mech using 4xUAC5 without penalties even if it's Inner Sphere is OP as hell especially with frontloaded UAC5's

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 10 October 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#56 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 10 October 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

The Stalker is a big nono just like the Atlas because of it's easy to hit side torsos.

Generally though, long range builds suffer less from XL engines than brawlers because they take less damage and are harder to hit. I'm pretty sure the King Crab will be allright with an XL350 and 2x ERLL for example.

Take this atlas as a template, a Gauss/XL Build might look like this: KGC test.

62 KPH, 2x Gauss 2xERLL 2xSSRM2 and 4 critslots to spare(from the removal of lower arm and hand actuators), could drop a few heatsinks if you want to fit an AMS or BAP or upgrade the SRM's.

A pure AC20 build would probably look like this: KGC Std300.

62 KPH, 2x Med Laser/AMS and 2xAC20 with a standard engine. 8 tons of ammo keep you well supplied but you are a pure pinpoint brawler now.

But the goal of say an LRM boat is not to get close to an enemy and not to get hit.

Wouldn't trading more speed to run away and get into position be better then pot shotting with 2 medium lasers 10 more seconds before your dead?

or the 6 ppc builds before ghost heat (simular builds out there just to lazy to put the exact specs of them down)

#57 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 10 October 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Thing is the KGC might also have variants that could mount 4xUAC5 for example which might warrant an XL to deal with the enormous ammo consumption.

Now If UAC5's get ghost heat put into them, which I'm predicting since a 100t mech using 4xUAC5 without penalties even if it's Inner Sphere is OP as hell especially with frontloaded UAC5's

Did the math.

For a 100 ton mech, standard 300 engine, endo steel, 12 double heatsinks, it can do 4 UAC 5's with 1 medium laser with 13 tons (390 shots) of UAC 5 ammo.

Standard engine.

If you use XL you may as well put LRM 15 and a PPC I guess or a er large laser.

#58 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 October 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

I pinch...

Edited by HlynkaCG, 13 October 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#59 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 17 September 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

We'll probably get 10 percent arm movement like Victor and Highlander have. Or none at all, like Stalker.

Bah! No! It needs arm freedom! It needs to brawl! It needs to move like a ballerina compared to the DireWolf, or it won't remotely compare! I vote that it should be able to twist it's torso like that freaky chick in the exorcist!

Please don't make it a slug PGI. Oh please oh please oh please.

#60 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 13 October 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

Bah! No! It needs arm freedom! It needs to brawl! It needs to move like a ballerina compared to the DireWolf, or it won't remotely compare! I vote that it should be able to twist it's torso like that freaky chick in the exorcist!

Please don't make it a slug PGI. Oh please oh please oh please.

So what you want is basically a Direwolf that is as agile as a Victor, seems legit.

Edit, whooo, nice necro as well. Sry, was looking for more info on the crab :P

Edited by Apocryph0n, 24 November 2014 - 06:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users