Mwo And Pingzapper

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kavoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Came back to MWO recently after an extended break, and in the time that I was gone, I had changed ISPs. Well, definitely can say its different with higher ping, so was looking into pingzapper to try and lower it a bit.

Title pretty much sums it up. Does anyone use pingzapper? I know some games don't like it due to how it interacts with IPs (WoW auto bans for it, although it can be lifted with a "don't do it again") and a few other MMOs claim to not support it as well.

I searched and came up with nothing, so I am unsure of PGI's stance on it. Would this be something I can use with little risk of action taken?

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

I have never even heard of pingzapper..... Will have to google it... Suspicious....

#3 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

I just looked it up and and a link to World of Warcraft is right there on the front page. I doubt they would have that if Blizzard still autobanned people for using their tool.

http://pingzapper.com/

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

Oh, it's a vpn. They've said it was ok last time I checked.

#5 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Sounds a bit like snakeoil to me, to be honest.

You are directing your traffic through one of their proxy-servers via tunneling. You are not getting yourself actually any closer to the game server. You are not guaranteed to get a better ping. You are not guaranteed to get a better route. Actually it is even possible that you'll get a worse one, but now you are paying for it.

It might work, or it might not! It totally depends on various factors outside of your or their control.

Edited by Egomane, 17 September 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#6 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostKavoh, on 17 September 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Came back to MWO recently after an extended break, and in the time that I was gone, I had changed ISPs. Well, definitely can say its different with higher ping, so was looking into pingzapper to try and lower it a bit.

Title pretty much sums it up. Does anyone use pingzapper? I know some games don't like it due to how it interacts with IPs (WoW auto bans for it, although it can be lifted with a "don't do it again") and a few other MMOs claim to not support it as well.

I searched and came up with nothing, so I am unsure of PGI's stance on it. Would this be something I can use with little risk of action taken?

I use it occasionally. In my area we're plagued by terrible TWC routing - I live south of Los Angeles, and LA is undergoing infrastructure overhauls to support some service expansion. As a result, sometimes my traffic goes from Orange County to LA to france back to LA to kentucky to New York to Canada, other times it bounces all over the USA... I use privateinternetaccess for VPN which helped, I was able to connect to an endpoint south of me which in turn routed around it... higher but more stable ping. I tried pingzapper and my ping was nearly the same, but rock solid with slightly improved hitreg. I'd love to use WTFast, but it dc's me when I try to drop. Just sitting in mechlab though,the WTFast statistics show an improvement. If someone can get WTFast working I'd gladly prepay a year of service :|

TLDR - if you're in the US or Canada, the improvement will be minimal, and likely felt but not seen. My damage went up a bit with pingzapper, and I noticed fewer shots "overpenetrating".

#7 Kavoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the responses! I used it in WoW and got banned in under 24 hours (got it sorted out with no penalties and their reasoning was the IPs associated with pingzapper being used by "suspicious" individuals aka exploiters/etc so it was an auto flag) but got it lifted, so was just curious as to PGIs standpoint. I will give it a shot again and see how it goes for me on here. Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users