Clan Xl Shutdown On Torso Loss

307 replies to this topic

#301 fyrebryan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Now while I am in agreement that there should be some penalties (1/3 engine hs loss, slower movement) I really dont think we should shut the mech down too.. thats going too far with the nerfing...

I agree that clan mechs should be better than IS mechs... sexier loadouts, etc... however... i still want the IS folks (of which I am a part of) to have a fighting chance..

after the torso penalties come on line, I think we need to have another look at clan weapons to see if we over nerfed them (cause wow was that C-ERLL nerf baaaaaad)

#302 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostDamien Tokala, on 17 September 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

This is why I want the power to reach through the Internet and slap people. We already lose half our ****, and on top of that lose speed and efficiency, but now you want them to shut down? Slap yourself please

haha true...then better make the clan die from losing a side torso....then give me the right to put a standard engine in my clan mechs :P

#303 Dahnyol

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hey Krafty I'd like to add my 2 cents on this opinion you hold.

View PostKraftySOT, on 17 September 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Completely disagree. All the most realistic games are the most fun and usually the most successful. That thing people say about " you wouldnt want total realism in a game " is just a buzz line. Its nothing more than fluff. Infact people want realism. Thats why games keep becoming more realistic.

Some of the most successful games aren't realistic at all. Do you think World of Warcraft is realistic? TF2? DOTA? LOL? CS: GO? You can't make a point to be as realistic as possible.. we don't have 100 ton machines with pulse lasers in the real world.. and I doubt PGI is doing the math on how high jump jets would realistically lift a 75 ton mech.

Now if you mean realism in the sense that computer graphics have improved drastically which in turn create a better atmosphere of immersion I agree. But please do not think Realism (real world functions/physics) = Success.

On the same note, with all niche cult status IPs, be them a comic, music, movie, book, or video game, strict adherence to what gave them that status in the first place, is the fastest way to success.

This line of thought seems out of touch. Mechwarrior (like comic books) is NOT "cult niche." Tabletop may be but please remove this assumption that only "true fans" care about the IP. Don't confuse niche with passionate or loyal. Many cult movies and games have exploded in popularity due to their ability to adapt to the social gaming culture it is occupying. Just because the IP has had relative success in the past, the fact you think it belongs in the cult category means it has not been very successful on attracting new people. Sticking to what attracted people in the first place does not mean it will continue to have the same results down the line.. gaming as changed, please adapt to survive.

Its like we went over before...its like youre giving spiderman an orange custom and making him able to breath fire.

No one wants that. The reason the spiderman movie from the 80s was terrible was the horrible plot and completely ignoring all the things in the comics. The reason the new ones were successful is that they just told the story the comics told in a movie. They changed as little as possible.

This is the age of the fanboy. Come over to the dark side and embrace it.

I agree with some extent, but you have to keep in mind that technology (along with actors, directors, writers, business executives, etc) in the film industry has changed very rapidly. You completely discount what is available at the existing time. You think the 80's can incorporate spiderman flying building to building shooting webs with their existing technologies and make it look as good as today? Probably not, probably cut that scene and use a more mundane scene you can actually recreate.

It is really ignorant to just generalize - omg 80s movies didn't follow plots well, its why they sucked. They didn't want realism so they sucked. We follow the plots now, so its good.

This is almost as bad as thinking superman, batman and marvel are cult interests.

Edited by Dahnyol, 21 September 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#304 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

OP you nerd whinner, calm yourself or begone

#305 Dahnyol

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

View Postr4plez, on 21 September 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

OP you nerd whinner, calm yourself or begone

MM yea. dat dem discussion skills

#306 Comrademig

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

While this would be way too excessive, its kind of preferable to what would happen to an IS with an XL..you know, dying..

#307 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 September 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

Engine shielding is not dampening the heat from the engine. And computers are just not good in insane heat! Play the game with the furnace on max in a closet see how well YOU, and your computer functions.

My understanding is that the engine doesn't produce much heat...no matter the output. The heat we are so worried about is bleed through from the conduits channeling all the electricity(in the case of the flamer, it's the unshielded plasma running through the system after leaving the reactor) to the various systems, the operation of the systems themselves.

I'm not sure taking damage to the engine means the lose of the magnetic shielding...I would say it couldn't, because such a lose would immediately shut the reactor down. Damage to an engine would seem to have to imply a decrease in its ability to maintain maximum output for whatever reason(hence decrease movement speeds)...but not more heat(the engine does produce much heat if any). Yes, the loss of heatsinks would decrease cooling, but that's only a problem for operating heat generating systems such as weapons and locomotion.

What engine damage should do is decrease cooling(not increased heat) due to heat sink lose, decreased power output resulting in slower movement speeds and/or(this is new), increased cycle times/slower rates of fire for weapons...especially for energy weapons. Perhaps the player could have the option to choose whether locomotion or weapons are prioritized if it's determined it should be one or the other. Decreased power outputs could also cause energy weapons to fire at lower damage at normal cycle rates...once again, perhaps the player can choose whether to prioritize rate of fire over damage output.

#308 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostDahnyol, on 21 September 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hey Krafty I'd like to add my 2 cents on this opinion you hold.

Some of the most successful games aren't realistic at all. Do you think World of Warcraft is realistic? TF2? DOTA? LOL? CS: GO? You can't make a point to be as realistic as possible.. we don't have 100 ton machines with pulse lasers in the real world.. and I doubt PGI is doing the math on how high jump jets would realistically lift a 75 ton mech.

Now if you mean realism in the sense that computer graphics have improved drastically which in turn create a better atmosphere of immersion I agree. But please do not think Realism (real world functions/physics) = Success.

This line of thought seems out of touch. Mechwarrior (like comic books) is NOT "cult niche." Tabletop may be but please remove this assumption that only "true fans" care about the IP. Don't confuse niche with passionate or loyal. Many cult movies and games have exploded in popularity due to their ability to adapt to the social gaming culture it is occupying. Just because the IP has had relative success in the past, the fact you think it belongs in the cult category means it has not been very successful on attracting new people. Sticking to what attracted people in the first place does not mean it will continue to have the same results down the line.. gaming as changed, please adapt to survive.

I agree with some extent, but you have to keep in mind that technology (along with actors, directors, writers, business executives, etc) in the film industry has changed very rapidly. You completely discount what is available at the existing time. You think the 80's can incorporate spiderman flying building to building shooting webs with their existing technologies and make it look as good as today? Probably not, probably cut that scene and use a more mundane scene you can actually recreate.

It is really ignorant to just generalize - omg 80s movies didn't follow plots well, its why they sucked. They didn't want realism so they sucked. We follow the plots now, so its good.

This is almost as bad as thinking superman, batman and marvel are cult interests.

Really good reply although I dont agree with all of it. The good movies over the years stand up to todays standards. Same with the games even. Give Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaris a graphics overhall and you have a 1st rate game even by todays standards. Tons of exceptions to this rule but you know what I mean.

About the 80's, the Movie, music and fashion industries are still living off the money they made in the 80's and 90's. Not so much the 70's or new millenium, just an interesting side note.

Also I agree, Mechwarrior being niche is total BS. I have never been a so called fan boi of board games or anything like that but like the original Star Wars movies, Mechwarrior has what can only be called charm. That charm is the part that made it successfull and what I hope the guys building this new game can still see and include in this new game. So far so good if everyone ignores the slow pace :) but if they are going for a great game then its worth it.

+1 for mech sim

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users