Will Atlas S Be Equipped With Rearward Firing Srm Hardpoints?

17 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

Atlas AS7-S is incoming.

Pre-Sale Reward
This reward is for players who have purchased any pre-sale program package. This includes any level of Founders, Phoenix, Clan Invasion Wave1 and 2 packages, or a la carte mechs. Eligible players will receive an exclusive new Atlas variant - the AS7-S - decked out with a custom paint job, along with a 30% C-bill Bonus and a free Mechbay. This custom AS7-S variant will only be available through our Pre-Sale Reward program and will be injected into eligible accounts on October 21st. You have until Sept 23rd at 10:00 am PDT to earn the Pre-Sale Reward. Standard versions of this new variant will be available for C-Bills at a future date to be determined.

According to sarna, Atlas AS7-S is equipped with rear firing SRM's.

AS7-S
  • A very basic FedCom upgrade of the standard Atlas introduced in 3050, the S model removed five heat sinks from the design, upgrading the rest to Double Heat Sinks. The weight savings are used to add two rear firing Coventry T4H Streak SRM-2 launchers, giving the Atlas increased protection in its rear arc of fire. After the civil war production of this model ceased, although garrison forces in both sundered states continued to use them, with AFFS units using Precision Ammunition for the autocannon and LAAF units making use of specialized LRM munitions captured from the Free Worlds League.[9] BV (1.0) = 1,688[27], BV (2.0) = 1,929[28]

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

-

Could there be a new feature incoming to toggle views and look / aim directly behind you?

#2 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

Nope. They will be moved to front facing.

#3 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

Just like all other back-mounted weapons, the hardpoint will be aimed forwards instead.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Several other MWO mechs have had rear facing weapons moved to the front. They have no intention of adding aiming systems for rear weapons.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Couldn't rear weapons use a PiP like Advance zoom??? :huh:

#6 McQueen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 187 posts
  • LocationOff grid

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 18 September 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Agreed. That is what they have done with all rear facing weapons so far.

#7 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

Bahh.

Was hoping I would be able push a button, switch to rear view perspective, and shoot things without having to turn around.

#8 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:28 AM

Nope. MWO's engine tends to get issues with switching views like that- which is why we don't have a "rear view mirror". It handles rendering two different camera angles at once on the screen....poorly.

#9 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

But .. But i wanna fart SRMs at circle jerking Lights >_>

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostReitrix, on 18 September 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

But .. But i wanna fart SRMs at circle jerking Lights >_>

Oh the mental image! :lol:

#11 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

porbbaly not, I mean how you wanna aim with them? or shoot on intuition?

#12 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

View Postwanderer, on 18 September 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

Nope. MWO's engine tends to get issues with switching views like that- which is why we don't have a "rear view mirror". It handles rendering two different camera angles at once on the screen....poorly.

Wouldn't it be the same as activating advanced zoom.

Except, instead of showing the view in front of you, it would show directly behind you.

Back in the day, I played a game called multiplayer battletech. The right arrow key would switch the camera perspective 90 degrees to the right & allow a person to target exclusively with right arm mounted weapons.

It meant a person could torso twist and shield themselves with an arm while switching perspectives and continuing to shoot at opponents with whatever was mounted on the arm facing that side.

It was also possible to torso twist and switch perspectives to target enemies as you were running away from them.

It is something that could possibly add depth to teh gameplay & make things interesting.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 18 September 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 September 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

Couldn't rear weapons use a PiP like Advance zoom??? :huh:

The PIP zoom does not have to render the entire scene again, it just takes what you and magnifies it.

A PIP rear camera woud require you to render pretty much twice as much stuff, although a complete full screen rear camera toggle wouldn't (and would only take as long to render as switching from 3pv to 1pv in theory) but would alos require having a whole new reticule added, on top of simply being a more complicated system that we don't really need.

#14 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

View Postwanderer, on 18 September 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

That's a bummer. I don't know much about game engines; perhaps when this one was originally designed there was no thought about the possibility of a different viewing angle. I'm sure it's not for lack of technological capability given that IL-2 Sturmovik had rear mirror views on many of its planes (as historical accuracy dictated) and that was put on in something like 2001. Given that the engine can't adequately support such a feature, I suppose it's pointless to say that I like Mallen's idea.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 September 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

The PIP zoom does not have to render the entire scene again, it just takes what you and magnifies it.

A PIP rear camera woud require you to render pretty much twice as much stuff, although a complete full screen rear camera toggle wouldn't (and would only take as long to render as switching from 3pv to 1pv in theory) but would alos require having a whole new reticule added, on top of simply being a more complicated system that we don't really need.

I concur that we don't necessarily need it, and I probably would be unable to master it anyway, but it would be an interesting feature albeit one that is low on the priority list.

#15 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

If it was just a pair of streak launchers, I'd be happy if they automatically fired at anything that came close enough to me within their firing arc....might give random heat spikes when I don't expect it, but would still be worth it.

#16 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

Are there any more unique Atlas models that fit the timeline?

This Atlas-S sounds very lame. It will have its "unique" rear srms brought forward, and it will probably be approximately identical to Atlas-D in capabilities.

#17 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

Rear-firing LB-20X for the ultimate fart attack. It'd be like mounting a Claymore on your butt!

#18 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

Rear-firing LB-20X for the ultimate fart attack. It'd be like mounting a Claymore on your butt!

call it the chipotle cannon?

maybe they will give it like, quad ams or something.

Edited by Arctourus, 18 September 2014 - 04:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users