More Maps?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hardes13

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Hi Mechwarriors,
since we are hocked on a mecha shooter, isn´t the number of maps terrible low?
Whatever the future plans are to give playing this game more meaning, we need more maps.
One map per month would be enough for me ^^

#2 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

MechFactory soon™.

then a Swamp map... by xmas maybe?? idk.

Edited by Warblood, 18 September 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

There are, already, two more maps in the works.

One is an industrial area that is sometimes dubbed "Mech Factory." Apparently it produces Awesomes.

When first tested it was to find bugs and problems with the network geometry and the map itself. These included invisible walls, pitfalls to suddenly sink into the map, floating mechs, and the occasional building you can hide inside of (that wasn't supposed to be hidden inside of).

The other is supposed to be the first of several Planetary invasion maps for the "one sided assault" mode with attackers only and defenders only, gates that have to be taken down, lots of defensive turrets for the defensive side and supposedly the potential for limited respawn (in the form of you have X number of DIFFERENT mechs). The last line while highly implied, was only implied and not directly stated so how that works can turn out different.

That said, unfortunately that is all we are seeing in the semi immediate future. Their art teams are busy with a number of new mechs and new variants.

Mech Factory. (I was absolutely terrible in these two matches but... in the second one you'll see one of the reasons this map is under heavy work).

Edited by Koniving, 18 September 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#4 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

The 'Mech Factory map *should* be out sometime in the next few patches. After that they've got a Swamp map they're working on, and supposedly an already-completed new map for CW's Attack and Defend game mode.

In the past they had been releasing maps every 2-3 months, but they had to put map development on hold for a while when they were working on the first round of Clan 'Mechs.

After CW is out, I think they'll put a bit more of their resources into map production, and probably get back to that 2-3 month/map cycle.

#5 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Map generation is by far one of PGI's worst efforts in this game... will remain ridiculously low on their list of priorities. It's the #2 item the community has been clamoring for since launch and because it doesn't directly drive profits, it's ignored.

So if you're getting bored, try to liven things up a bit. Roughly 40%-60% of the terrain on all maps isn't used. If you want some new challenges and battle events, simply coerce your group into controlling the flow of the match - take it to the corners, take it to the edges, take it to the ignored hilltops.

I've been trying this lately and while not even close to an ideal solution... it has definitely increased the number of truly fun and interesting matches i have. You can get some really wacky events when you do something your opponents don't expect and can't comprehend.

#6 Mordric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 237 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

That sound pretty awsome to me!

View PostKoniving, on 18 September 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

There are, already, two more maps in the works.

The other is supposed to be the first of several Planetary invasion maps for the "one sided assault" mode with attackers only and defenders only, gates that have to be taken down, lots of defensive turrets for the defensive side and supposedly the potential for limited respawn (in the form of you have X number of DIFFERENT mechs). The last line while highly implied, was only implied and not directly stated so how that works can turn out different.

That said, unfortunately that is all we are seeing in the semi immediate future. Their art teams are busy with a number of new mechs and new variants.

Mech Factory. (I was absolutely terrible in these two matches but... in the second one you'll see one of the reasons this map is under heavy work).

#7 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

I wish they would release some sort of a map editor package for the public.

Then they can run contests monthly, quarterly or whatever for the best maps with prizes for the top 3, 5 whatever they decide and then those maps can go on the PTS and get whatever necessary final tweaks and fixes.

This assures that many maps will get produced in timely manner at very little cost to PGI.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 18 September 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I wish they would release some sort of a map editor package for the public.

Then they can run contests monthly, quarterly or whatever for the best maps with prizes for the top 3, 5 whatever they decide and then those maps can go on the PTS and get whatever necessary final tweaks and fixes.

This assures that many maps will get produced in timely manner at very little cost to PGI.

In his last Town Hall meeting Russ intimated it was something they'd look into, but not until Spring at the earliest.

#9 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 September 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

In his last Town Hall meeting Russ intimated it was something they'd look into, but not until Spring at the earliest.

To me its just a no-brainer, you'd think it would be a high priority. If maps aren't seen as a direct avenue for revenue and get placed behind projects that are seen that way then put the community to work. I've always been amazed at what fans/players are capable of when it comes to games that allow map making, custom game types, mods, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users