How To Fight This?

30 replies to this topic

#1 The Perpetually Offended

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

Just after any advice here. There's a group of twelve who I'm always up against (unluckily, always whenever in a slow assault). Does anyone know how they can actually be defeated (or, at least, fought well rather than be stomped by)? They all boat large lasers and ECM where possible, plus all talk to each other and focus on one target. They stand perfectly still whenever shooting which sounds like a weakness but there are always twelve shooting at once at those moments so I die if I so much as stick an arm out to shoot back.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

All three fights they are using 5 ECMs. Looks like they are using it as a crutch. Sad.

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 19 September 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#3 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:39 AM

My bro and I were the two extras in their premade just 30 mins ago, 10 OMC and us. We lost horribly.

#4 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Well, you can try to out-ton them. If you run against them with 3 groups of 4, you could have all heavies and assaults, while they will have 3/3/3/3. But, if they are well organized, that probably won't help either. Only option there is to run 12 also, and play better as a team.

Note: Often times I have found though that on some TS servers, just because you have a large group, it doesn't mean your organized. If half the guys on your team are BSing about what they had for dinner, ect. then your in for a rough night, and will get more wins in by dropping solo.

#5 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

Maybe bum rush could work?

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

In all three they are a obvious 12 man in the 12 man Que, the losing team was not a full team. I do not see a reason a less organized team should win against a better team. :huh:

#7 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 19 September 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

All three fights they are using 5 ECMs. Looks like they are using it as a crutch. Sad.

Hey what ever works. and people complain ECM is fine....

#8 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

They used coordination and tactics? I dunno man... sounds fishy to me. Are they allowed to do that? :P

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

View PostMercules, on 19 September 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

They used coordination and tactics? I dunno man... sounds fishy to me. Are they allowed to do that? :P

No cauz Ihazskillz! :rolleyes:

#10 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

Slow assaults have the issue of not being able to cycle out when they take heavy damage.

One possible tactic is exploit their dedication to focus fire and standing still. Take a fast heavy as your point man within a brawl based set-up. When you make contact, hopefully in an area of your choosing, the fast heavy breaks through their line.

With the team focus firing, normally the first major threat is called as the target... in this case the heavy. As it crosses their lines, they'll turn with the heavy to continue to focus, there by giving their backs to the mechs following. If only a couple of mechs can line up on their back, you can take down a mech fast without having to have your whole team focus.

Just one idea.

Edited by Dracol, 19 September 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#11 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostMercules, on 19 September 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

Severely doubt that's the case. Never seen tactics outside of blob up and focus fire in "competitive" games.

Lord knows what might happen when gamers discover squad based tactics...

#12 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

So to answer OP.. Coordination and Tactics.
If you think about it... If your side did the same as the opponents it would be GG.

#13 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

Just having someone point the murderball in a direction to move can go a LONG way in this game. :)

#14 Nayonac

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 81 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKorriban

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

Build a 12 man, Go with High Alpha Mechs run lots of ECM, all stand waiting for them. Alpha each one as they appear. Case closed :D

#15 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:58 AM

ECM

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostNayonac, on 19 September 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

Build a 12 man, Go with High Alpha Mechs run lots of ECM, all stand waiting for them. Alpha each one as they appear. Case closed :D

So find a Defensible position, Use 3Cs, and overlapping fields of fire and restrict avenues of ingress. Sounds like basic combat tactics to me.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 19 September 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#17 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

"so I die if I so much as stick an arm out to shoot back."

Why are you doing this? Peeking is bad in the PUG queue. It is death against a 12 man. If everyone is taking turns peeking then they get to shoot once and the opposing team is shooting 12 times. Even if they don't die when they peek the first time who won the exchange?

The only way to defeat and organized team is with organization. Walking into their line of fire when they have 12 folks standing around waiting is just a bad idea.

Move as a group ... flank ... roll them up from the side ... take only direct fire weapons since ECM is making LRMs useless.
Alternatively find a good position and dig in for a bit ... see whose patience gives in first .. if they send out a scout blow them up with focused fire.

They can certainly be defeated but not if you "so much as stick an arm out to shoot back". Keep in mind that if you can't hit them then they can't hit you either ... and keep it that way ... until you have at least even odds when shooting them.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

View PostSadist Cain, on 19 September 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

Severely doubt that's the case. Never seen tactics outside of blob up and focus fire in "competitive" games.

Lord knows what might happen when gamers discover squad based tactics...
They will...

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 19 September 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

So find a Defensible position, Use 3Cs, and overlapping fields of fire and restrict avenues of ingress. Sounds like basic combat tactics to me.

#19 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

In a lot of cases, those who have the most patience will win, even against a 12 man drop with comms. ECM isn't necessarily helpful for them when they can be engaged with direct fire. Find yourself a nice defensible position and let them come to you. But you have to have some coordination in terms of target priority and the like, otherwise, as they come into your fields of fire, your entire team is picking random targets whereas they are still focus firing and killing your mechs one by one with startling speed.

Patience is hard. We mechwarriors want to engage the enemy. But I've seen less organized teams beat organized teams through using patience. I personally don't have a problem running the match to completion. I understand your frustration though. It's demoralizing to be dropped with a couple of four mans and some two mans while seeing all twelve of the enemy on the same team.

#20 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostJGtH2, on 19 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Just after any advice here. There's a group of twelve who I'm always up against (unluckily, always whenever in a slow assault). Does anyone know how they can actually be defeated (or, at least, fought well rather than be stomped by)? They all boat large lasers and ECM where possible, plus all talk to each other and focus on one target. They stand perfectly still whenever shooting which sounds like a weakness but there are always twelve shooting at once at those moments so I die if I so much as stick an arm out to shoot back.

Airstrike(s) on their formation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users