5 replies to this topic

#1 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Since the Awesome was buffed, I've started doing something that I haven't done since my 4 PPC Cat K2, and that is running EPW (Energy as a Primary Weapon) mechs in the heavy/assault range.

Most EPW mechs are going to be lights/mediums, because of medium lasers. Any changes made to medium lasers completely bork the light/medium chassis. Hence why the day after the clan energy nerfs, medium mech use (nova's were the main C-bill clan mech out) dropped off the map (from around 45% to under 30%). Which is unfair, because the nerf was aimed at the heavier mechs (yes, yes, the DW and TW's) who could switch out to heavier auto cannons and not miss a beat. But on lighter mechs that isn't an option.

The EPW equation changes when you cross over 60 tons. Now you can have a SRM, LRM or small AC backup to your main energy weapons, and you're using large lasers and PPC's primarily, ML's usually serving as backup weapons (if you have one ton left and a hard point). My favorite EPW's are the Awesome 9M and 8Q, and yes, the hapless Jester.

With the Awesome's heat buff, I can now run 2 LPL's and 2 PPC's efficiently on the 9M, or even 3 PPC's if I don't want to alpha to much. On the 8Q I stick with 2 LL's and 2 PPC's, due to the smaller standard engine.

Which brings me to my point, is there any reason we can't remove the min range on PPC's and give them scalable damage under 90m like the Clan LRM's? Doing that would actually bring the power of IS weapons closer to the Clan weapons, buy running shorter ranged / less heat version of the ER. Right now running multiple PPC's means your going to get face smashed by the first mech that can reach you, which is annoying to say the least. It won't do anything to strengthen or weaken the meta, but it would do a lot to help a style of play that is under-represented in MWO currently.

#2 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

The PPCs used to opperate that way, although it was before ghost heat. Back then it was pretty crazy, because mechs commonly had 3-4 PPCs and did substantial damage at close ranges.

I'm not really for or against the idea, but I honestly feel 90M is really easy to keep between you and your target, unless its a light, and then hopefully you brought back up weapons...

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 19 September 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

The PPCs used to opperate that way, although it was before ghost heat. Back then it was pretty crazy, because mechs commonly had 3-4 PPCs and did substantial damage at close ranges.

I'm not really for or against the idea, but I honestly feel 90M is really easy to keep between you and your target, unless its a light, and then hopefully you brought back up weapons...

It also had 8 heat back then, they were the best weapons in the game.

Can't really say that anymore.

My issue with the WubShee is the heat system. I can't cool fast enough to sustain fire, but the insane heat capacity allows me to fire multiple volleys.
It performs acceptable on a small selection of maps, against bad players who don't push hot mechs.

Heat system isn't ideal for energy weapons.

#4 Reverendk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLike and subscribe to see videos similar to this one.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

There's been much ado recently about balance changes, turbo nerfs, and player student councils, but I'll tell you that this is something that has rattled around in my brain from time to time whenever I was out slotting floppies in my three PPC quickdraw 5k. Yes I rock it. Not to brag but I rip the mic and I stuff pockets.

That being said I would still support the drop off being fairly steep. What is high elo play if there is not both risk and reward?

Cheers
RK
PITIATCI (Pass it, tap it, and then crack it for the recent additions to the flock)
HELDCGGFTFFPOHITCE-GNPGCNTFCLEEWPA-JURSSRNPCR Clan

#5 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

No question the heat system favors ballistics, and lights/mediums suffer the most from the heat penalties applied to the small/medium energy weapons. Not sure how that equates to switching PPC's back to the scaled damage at less than 90 meters though.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

Having run EPW mechs like the Thunderbolt-5SS, Quickdraw-5K, and the Wolverine-6K... it's fun, but it's the pinnacle of a challenge really.

With respects to PPCs, it was still too good for its own good when linear damage was applied to them... of course being @ 8 heat at the time, they were really really good.

At best, you would have to add back in "exponential damage curve" like Clan LRMs use for min range, which was the state of PPCs for a lot longer (when PGI didn't realize that was the case for whatever reason for the longest of time). That probably could be acceptable at this point in time, especially when 10 heat is a lot to deal with.

Edited by Deathlike, 19 September 2014 - 09:38 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users