3 replies to this topic

#1 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

I believe this idea has not yet been presented as option for the ECM issue. If it has already been suggested, my apologies to the original poster.

tl;dr: Utilize Mech Modules to modify how ECM is handled

This proposal tries to address the following:
  • ECM is too powerful for only 1.5 (1) ton / 2 (1) crit investment to be able to negate LRMs and cloak
  • ECM went too far beyond what TT assigned to it
It maintains the following basic principles:
  • Providing a means for a mech not to appear on radar instantly
  • ECM would still be limited to certain mechs(but the variety could be opened up to have a similar number of selections like jump jets have)
  • Keep it simple by not making any large sweeping changes

How It Would Work
A mech that has ECM equipped, before any modules have been equipped, would receive the following benefits:
  • Increase lock on time for LRMs
  • Negate enemy Artemis and Narc bonuses
  • Counter mode to negate an enemy ECM within 180m while also losing its own benefits
This keeps ECM in line with TT.

Since MW:O has expanded the Battletech universe by adding mech modules, we can use this system to expand the abilities of ECM.
Suggested Mech Modules for ECM:
  • Angel Enhancement - an ECM equipped mech with this module does not become targetable until [300m]
  • ECM Radar disruption - an ECM equipped mech with this module scrambles enemy radar within [180m]
  • ECM Projection - an ECM equipped mech with this module would confer its benefits to all allies within [180m] (if Angel enhancement is also equipped, the cloaking is also conferred)
How This Would Affect Gameplay

First, this would open up more mechs to ECM. Less used mechs could be giving an ECM slot to help add variety to what we fight on the battlefield.

It would also push the full, anti-LRM ECM to the more veteran players. In theory, newer players wouldn't encounter complete negation.

Players would also have another soft counter available to help fight against LRMs if they find themselves having trouble dealing with them that is available for a much lower buy in then Radar deprivation.

The extended investment in c-bills and gexp would help warrant the more powerful abilities.

This would also add variety to encounters with ECM equipped enemies.

Comments, questions, concerns?
How do you think this fairs compared to the other proposals?

EDIT: I would also add to the proposal a BAP mech module for ECM negation instead of having it a default benefit.

Edited by Dracol, 19 September 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#2 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

I would initially purpose that ECM is given a cool down. Would work like this; ECM affects the mech equipping it only but when the pilot activates the unit it give out an ECM bubble of 180m for say 15 to 20 seconds and then it is on cool down of 45 seconds. ECM is too easy to use as it is always on and most pilots don't even switch to counter mode anyways. This will make using ECM a more proactive tool and give it some skill because ECM pilots will need to use it the most ideal times.

Cheers.

#3 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostRushmoar, on 19 September 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

I would initially purpose that ECM is given a cool down. Would work like this; ECM affects the mech equipping it only but when the pilot activates the unit it give out an ECM bubble of 180m for say 15 to 20 seconds and then it is on cool down of 45 seconds. ECM is too easy to use as it is always on and most pilots don't even switch to counter mode anyways. This will make using ECM a more proactive tool and give it some skill because ECM pilots will need to use it the most ideal times.

At first I liked this idea. Making the ECM require more player attention would alleviate some of the concerns regarding how powerful it is for such a minimal investment.

Unfortunately when I considered how it would be used,.... didn't like it so much. Once an ecm equipped mech hears "Incoming Missiles" they flip the switch and force missiles to lose lock. This does decrease ability of ECM to prevent missles attacks but at the cost of LRM players losing ammo. At least with current ECM, LRM mechs are not wasting ammo firing at ECM targets.

#4 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hmm... been thinking on the angel module upgrade and whether or not that aspect should benefit from the projection module. Thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users