Buying My First Mech

Help Me Question

82 replies to this topic

#41 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

I would move the ammo out of the torso. That way an explosion will have a chance of not killing you instantly. The head is generally safe because it is very hard to hit. I would also move more armor from the shield arm to the legs. They are pretty big, easy targets on the Shadowhawk. Consider this.

#42 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

Looks good. I'll modify my 5M then according to your blueprint.
I'll also get the radar fading module wich was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks for all the help evryone

Edited by DoubleFlip, 22 September 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#43 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

I agree with Modo, except I see no problem with a single ton of AC/5 ammo in the CT. It's the first spent and if you're getting hit internally there before you've spent a ton, you're hosed anyway. Likewise, I'd cut to one ton and a JJ in each leg and move the rest to RST. But ammo placement is more art than science and the basic build is solid.

#44 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Like this? http://mwo.smurfy-ne...23534aeaf628b66

#45 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 22 September 2014 - 05:59 AM, said:

I'd move the arm ton to CT and one JJ to RT because arm ton would be third spent and you may need the arm to shield. EDIT: and pull the DHS to the RT for padding.

Like I said...more art than science. :)

Edited by Terciel1976, 22 September 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#46 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...910e9d062fcfa48

So the CT one gets used first, so there will be no risk of explosion. And indeed, if i lose my CT before shooting a ton, i'll be pretty much dead anyways.

#47 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 22 September 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...910e9d062fcfa48

So the CT one gets used first, so there will be no risk of explosion. And indeed, if i lose my CT before shooting a ton, i'll be pretty much dead anyways.

Yep. Just move that DHS to the RT for crit padding (which in this cool of a build is about all it's doing anyway)

#48 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:23 AM

The last bits of "a ton of ammo here, 10 points of armor elsewhere" also relate to your playstyle, and generally come down to personal preference. I tend to run into battle a lot, so my priority is on not assploding for free. If you are good at skirting the edges, then that ton of ammo in the CT will do no harm in 99% of matches. In short: Play the thing, and adjust depending on how you die.

Edited by Modo44, 22 September 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#49 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a86b7ce9bf341e5

Then this is the final build for my 5M.
Thanks evryone ;)

#50 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostModo44, on 22 September 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

The last bits of "a ton of armor here, 10 points of armor elsewhere" also relate to your playstyle, and generally come down to personal preference. I tend to run into battle a lot, so my priority is on not assploding for free. If you are good at skirting the edges, then that ton of ammo in the CT will do no harm in 99% of matches. In short: Play the thing, and adjust depending on how you die.

+1

Also, this isn't optimized, IMO. Not enough engine, too much cooling. But for a cheap, solid build, it's a good start.

#51 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

The next step, would be that 280 engine mentioned earlier, but i don't have the cbills for that atm.

#52 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 22 September 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

The next step, would be that 280 engine mentioned earlier, but i don't have the cbills for that atm.

Actually, the next step would be an XL300 or an ERLL IMO. While I don't like the XL275, the XL280 is a pile of CB for a couple KPH. Better to use what you have and put your CB into two more SHDs IMO.

#53 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'll do that then. Regarding the build. Just tried it out. 2 kills, 4 assists, 3 comp. destrc. and 441damg. Mentioning that i lost my way on the map (never played it before), think this is pretty good. Did finish with only 8 rounds left though.

#54 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Save your cbills for the other 2 variants of SHDs. Just in case you don't (already) know, you must complete 3 SHD basic tier skills (all different variants) to unlock elite. Completing elite gives you 2x basic bonus. You also need to complete 3 medium mechs elite tier skills to unlock master (mind as well use the SHDs to do that).

I would also suggest unlocking the master tier "skill" as well, you might need that extra slot in the future. Cbills earned in the course of doing these are (per mech): 2 mil +/- for basics, 4 mil +/- for elite, 4 mil +/- for master and another 4 mil if you stockpile 20-30k exp on the mech on top of a full skills unlock. The total earned per mech is roughly 14 million cbills.

View PostDoubleFlip, on 22 September 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I'll do that then. Regarding the build. Just tried it out. 2 kills, 4 assists, 3 comp. destrc. and 441damg. Mentioning that i lost my way on the map (never played it before), think this is pretty good. Did finish with only 8 rounds left though.

That's a good game. I don't usually get that much damage.

#55 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

The 4 jj's really help to get up mountain side/buildings, the high/side mounted AC's help shooting around corners and the backup speed for evading shots. Works like a charm.
Just need that radar fade module, since rockets are a pain :/

Edited by DoubleFlip, 22 September 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#56 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 22 September 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Nice!

If you have a lot of ammo left after a win, you have too much ammo. 8 rounds left sounds pretty good. 2 tons per AC5 is a good rule of thumb, the spare here is good because your backup is pretty minimal.

#57 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

Btw, should i first go for the radar deprivation module (since i only got 1000 AMS ammo) or for the other 2 SHD mechs?
(Bought the basics skills for my 5M already).
Also, do you guys always buy new equipement for a mech or strip the one's you don't use?

#58 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 23 September 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Btw, should i first go for the radar deprivation module (since i only got 1000 AMS ammo) or for the other 2 SHD mechs?

Mechs before modules.

#59 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

What Terciel means is, the upgrade you get from finishing all elite skills (and thus getting double basics) is considerably stronger than what any one module can provide. Once you start leveling a mech, you want to get 3 variants before purchasing other stuff.

#60 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

And regarding the 2 other mech you buy, do you use them as they are largely the same chassis with other hardpoints?
And do you switch equipement over mechs? Or buy new for each mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users