Mcn Newsflash # 7: We The Warriors, Seize The Moment!

11 replies to this topic

#1 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

Greetings Warrior of the Sphere... and I suppose we must include those invading Clan dogs as well! So be it, In the game it's war but here we are on the same side.

One Year is among us warriors since going live and although the game has received a few facelifts between then and now there are many whom are more than all too happy to complain that things have moved too slowly. That or your regular run of the mill yard trash talk just for the sake of hearing thier own voices but there were certainly some subjects that had merit.

In truth there were a lot of things to complain about, most of which had nothing to do with the quality of the game. Communication, delays of everykind, Moderation, and a Forum that was on the verge of complete anarchy. In fact the MCN heard a rumor that several PGI Devs suffered from temporary insanity and had to be isolated with screams of "There's just no MAKING THEM HAPPY". Several were reported injured, and one disappeard altogether with a proto-type King Crab. Russ claimed it was a "Training Excersise" accident, but I wonder.

In other words there were a lot of issues both minor and serious and for a time it appeared that the Doomsayers of old may have been right. But then something changed....

As if in answer to one who prays to the Gods on the brink of certain defeat on the battlefield an Announcment was made. IGP was cut from the fold... PGI assumed complete control.

Initially it didn't mean anything, nor did it instantly solve the "sinking ship" mentality of the Sphere, but since that day leaps and bounds are being made concerning MW:O development and towards the community that fuels it.

Event after Event! Communication on several levels! Intentions to improve certain game mechanics (ECM) for example among others that the Warriors of the Sphere have been hot about for centuries! A players counsil!!!

It seems to good to be true. One could even say that cutting thier ties with IGP was the perfect opportunity to pass the buck and move forward. It should be noted that actions have always spoken louder than words however, and with the flood of PGI's actions over the past several weeks I can't say it is anywhere near coincidence.

Just how much of a speedbump was IGP's involvment? Any group or co-op moves only as fast as the slowest ship and it just seems that IGP had a permanent anchor deployed. I have no doubts that the people at IGP are good souls, hard workers, etc... but I can't ignore the differences without them and I can't help but want to ask why? Were they a problem? Or is it mere coincedence after all and the changes we have seen over the last several weeks aren't related in the least.

Perhaps it doesn't matter Warriors. I think what is important here is that PGI's efforts lately have been nothing less than stellar and what we would expect from a developer. Clean up on aisle 4 with some issues perhaps but considerable effort has been made here and "We the Warriors" find ourselves on the cusp and in a position to truely make a difference and be involved to some degree concerning the future of MW:O in a positive way as opposed to some of the regular vitriol we are all too used to and tired of.

Let's not waste it Warriors!

See you on the Battlefield

Summer Gleeson
MCN News

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

From what I can gather, one of the biggest changes that happened when ties were severed with IGP was the ability to communicate without having all comms having to go through committee. It seems once IGP was out of the picture, Russ was able to start posting replies whenever he feels like instead of having to ask for permission and get clearance from IGP so that both parties agree on the what is being revealed.

Edited by Dracol, 20 September 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#3 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Haven't seen these for a while :)

#4 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

Dracol... I agree the biggest change is the level of communication and interaction. What I find disturbing is in any relationship communication is sooooo important! Speculation only of course but if what you say is true I can't understand why IGP would quell communication to such a limited degree. In hindsight look at what it created.

At the very least, whether it be true or not, I am so happy to see PGI's initiative here.

Ugrakarma... I've so missed it too.

Life unfortunately has a habit of getting in the way when you are busy making plans.

John Lennon. Good man....so tragic.

#5 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

The only thing that concerns me about a council is that it has the tendency to turn into a witchhunt if not done properly.

But I do agree that there have been considerable improvements since PGI took all the reigns.

WB Summer =)

#6 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Tangelis, Only if power becomes a key role in being part of said counsil. Personally I think it is a step in the right direction, if delivered as intended.

#7 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Glad to see your reporting resume.

View PostSummer Gleeson, on 20 September 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

As if in answer to one who prays to the Gods on the brink of certain defeat on the battlefield an Announcment was made. IGP was cut from the fold... PGI assumed complete control.

http://youtu.be/VGf9qtIeyBg

#8 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

I've been a rather vocal critic for a while, but I'm liking the change in communication and the rewards that have been bestowed upon longtime and dedicated players. It's enough I finally decided to purchase more than MC. The Wave 2 mechs look too fun to pass up. Maybe not the most competitive in the meta, but fun and unique nonetheless.

Keep up the good work, and keep giving us (good) surprises!

#9 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

It does some like any time before where they were being badgered by the forum. They couldn't really respond in a meaningful way. Now it seems like the filter's off and they're more directly addressing issues. And the events seem to come together more regularly too. Which is great. Anything to break up the monotony of the usual C-bill grind on the weekends.

#10 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

To say "the filter is off" is a perfect description. And the community is very much liking it.

I also just read something very interesting concerning IGP in regards to MechWarrior: Tactics. I know I'm a little out of the loop as this has more than likely already been discussed but going to post it none the less.

Since August 28th, 2014 the official website's main page was with no prior warning replaced with a customized Cloudflare HTTP 500 error page stating the website is unavailable due to a 72-hour "extended maintenance" window due to a hardware upgrade.

This led players to attempt contact with IGP in order to demand status updates on the game or request refunds on their Founder Program payments.

Throughout 2013 and 2014 IGP has continued selling Founder Program packages and marketing the game as under development and scheduled for Open Beta "later this year".

Due to these practices continuing in absence of development progress, accusations of scam have been directed at IGP. The discovery that a major portion of the company employees have left their employ has also prompted theories that Infinite Games Publishing may be shutting down.

Not looking to good for IGP. Unfortunate as well if there is any truth to the accusations of "Scam".

Best too put our best foot forward so to speak and move on. 1 year done and gone....I'll raise my glass and toast that the next year is productive and healthy for both PGI and the community.

Cheers Warriors

Levi - Good to see you're still here old friend =)

#11 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

I should also add that IGP did state that MechWarrior Tactics will be offline for "awhile longer" as it is currently looking for a new developer to continue it, thus rumors of their demise may be pre-mature.

Still interesting that PGI cut their ties in the wake of these issues.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostSummer Gleeson, on 21 September 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Levi - Good to see you're still here old friend =)

I plan to hang around until a snake or a tube-baby scrapes my carbonized corpse from the smoking remains of my cockpit. Of course, neither drak nor vat-born can take me in a stand-up fight, so that may be a while.

I don't consider anyone low enough to be a Liao affiliate as a sufficient threat to warrant reference in the above statement.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users