- - - - -

Advanced Zoom

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin X

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

How do I unlock advanced zoom or any of the other upgrades?

#2 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostRonin X, on 21 September 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

How do I unlock advanced zoom or any of the other upgrades?

Click on the "SKILLS" button on the top of the screen, then the "PILOT TREE" button on the left. The PILOT MODULES are unlocked for purchase with GXP, and then you need to purchase them for your mech(s) with Cbills. This is why, do not spend your GXP on leveling up a mech chassis, you will need it all for these things. Also some of the modules are pretty expensive, but once you purchase with Cbills you can move it around between mechs if you want.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Here is a video. Hope this helps.

#4 Ronin X

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

can you exchange XP for GXP?

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostRonin X, on 21 September 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

You can. It costs MC (money).

Play for a while, it isn't hard to earn. Just make sure not to spend your GXP on your mech's upgrades.

Using a TAG or NARC on enemies while allies use missiles is a good way to rack up XP fast, which you earn GXP for as a percentage of any XP you earn.

#6 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostRonin X, on 21 September 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yep I show that in one of my other vids. It's kind of expensive IMO but it's an option.

#7 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostSpike Brave, on 21 September 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

Yep I show that in one of my other vids. It's kind of expensive IMO but it's an option.

And it is on sale this weekend . . .

#8 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

If you have not unlocked any upgrade so far, you might be better of starting with Radar Deprivation (defensive) or Target Information Gathering (offensive); Advanced Zoom can be very useful for long-range mechs but is typically a module I use when I have mastered the mech.

#9 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

Advanced zoom is one of the least needed modules you can unlock. Like unwashed said, something like radar dep, seismic etc is a LOT more useful and will keep you alive a lot longer and assist the team more than just being a little more accurate at range which when dropping solo is pretty irrelevant as it always ends in a brawl. Learning to fight close up is the best thing a beginner can do.

#10 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

You receive a considerable amount of GXP from achievements, some of which are pretty easy to earn. That should allow you to unlock a module or two if you want to use one ASAP. Note that you may want to sit on GXP until you see what you actually need. Modules are expensive (GXP- and Cbill-wise), and rushing into a purchase early is a sure way to get frustrated.

#11 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Its a preference thing for advanced zoom, really.

I use it all the time for any weapons with an optimal range of 500+ meters.

I find that radar deprivation is one of my least used modules.

However, I would agree that it is a useful first module: it offers a benefit that is helpful to all mechs.

Advanced zoom is useless for SRM and LRM mech, for example.

#12 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostFire and Salt, on 24 September 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Its a preference thing for advanced zoom, really.

I use it all the time for any weapons with an optimal range of 500+ meters.

I find that radar deprivation is one of my least used modules.

However, I would agree that it is a useful first module: it offers a benefit that is helpful to all mechs.

Advanced zoom is useless for SRM and LRM mech, for example.

Thankfully F & S pointed this out.....SRM, LRM, MG's, Small Lasers will all get NO BENEFIT from this module obvioulsy. So if you have a little knife fighter (light mech/brawler) this will be very useless for you. Anything with 500plus Effective Range or more is where this module does best. But its also very buggy and glitchy! Which is the main reason i stopped using it. i have no problem hitting at range without it and im sure i would be more accurate with it but its tends to be too annoying for me to use it.

As far as Radar Derp goes, just to play Devil's Advocate to Fire, I NEVER run a mech without it unless its has ECM. This has been a life saver for me multiple times and allowed me to play my style more aggressively while also giving me some room for error in my movement. I also love that i can exchange shots with LRM boats at range and still take NO DAMAGE from missile fire as long as I have nice cover....the second you get outta LOS they lose the lock and you just watch the missiles go by....small U or lazy C Shapes as you back up into cover will get you outta the LRM RAIN quickly while not having to move much to make it happen.

If that doesn't strike your fancy maybe Seismic "wall hack" Sensor is for you....no need for LOS when you can find them as they stomp around via ground vibrations! (Limited Range) or maybe you like LRM and want to get more locks faster and for longer....Adv. Target Decay and Adv. Sensor Range maybe?

Either way they will set you back a hefty chunk of GXP (500 first level weapon upgrades to 15,000 for UAV upgrades) and C-Bills....modules cost 3 million to buy and go on ONE mech at a time. But much like engines you can swap them so one is usually enough for your stable.

#13 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Radar dep is almost essentially in pub/pug matches where novices rely on lock-on missle boats to kill enemies.

You basically don't even have to worry about these scrubs with it equipped, so it's a beautiful thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users