Filling Scr-D Slots

17 replies to this topic

#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

I read on Smurfy that SCR-D has 8 free slots.

May I fill them with useful and inexpensive equipments ?

I'm thinking about ECM and Probe.

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

Depends - free slots doesn't necessarily mean free tonnage, and free tonnage doesn't necessarily mean free slots

#3 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

There are 2 tresholds in mech building: Slots (physical space within the mech) and tonnage (max weight a mech can have). You need both to add new equipment (while armor requires only weight). I assume you refer to stock stormcrow D (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=185&l=stock).

Clan Active Probe fills one slot and weights one ton, so you need 1 free slot and 1 free ton. Stock SCR D (as all stock mechs) is filled in terms of weight, so you need to free a ton to put the CAP in it. You can free weight by removing equipment/removing weapons/removing ammo/shaving armor off from certain places/switching weapons/equipment for their lighter versions (i.e. switching lrm 20 for lrm 15). Battlemechs (SCR is an Omnimech) can also change armor/structure material to juggle between slots and tons or change engines.

You cannot put an ECM on the SCR. ECM needs a hardpoint like weapons do. Only some mechs can use ecm and they usually pay for that with some disadvantages.

----------
EDIT: Play your SCR and decide what can you live without to have CAP. Maybe less NARC ammo won't hurt? Or maybe nobody shoot you in the legs and you could risk shaving off some of it to free up tonnage? Or maybe smaller lrm launchers wouldn't hurt (big ones have terrible cooldown anyway). Etc. etc.

This is how this works.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 24 December 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:38 AM

this is the stock loadout for the SCR-D:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...272d1f49efe4077

now lets say you want to use those 8 slots, as FreebirthToad18999 and Prof RJ Gumby already said you need both weight and slots to equip something, I could remove 8 tons of ammo (1 ton,1 slot each) and replace it with 8 heatsinks (1 ton 2 slots) or half ton ammo,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d898fc97561f9aa
note with the half ton ammo I have exactly the same number of each type of missile but now no free slots

I could remove 8 tones of armor for more ammo, heatsinks or other equipment, but that would leave the Mech rather fragile,

I could swap out the weapons for different weapons, or equipment
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1f77cc2fedf49db
that one has better cooling than you need, provided you chain fire (to avoid Ghost heat, and also make the missiles more accurate) you can keep shooting as fast as they reload for more than 30 seconds

you can even swap out pods for a completely different loadout
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61d10fa6cd7de1f

#5 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

So the stock loadout is quite optimized.

How about pilot skill modules such as radar deprivation ? Do they weight ?

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostGoritude, on 24 December 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

So the stock loadout is quite optimized.

How about pilot skill modules such as radar deprivation ? Do they weight ?

no, the modules somehow defy the laws of physics and weigh nothing

#7 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 December 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

no, the modules somehow defy the laws of physics and weigh nothing

I use to pretend they're software Posted Image

or are they?

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 24 December 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 24 December 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

I use to pretend they're software Posted Image

or are they?

if that is the case it is time to bribe my Tech to add one of those newly recovered formerly lostech USB ports instead of the 5 1/4" disk drive, then copy the software from my whole range of modules to a 512mb "USB memory stick" so I can have all the modules in one slot

#9 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 December 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

if that is the case it is time to bribe my Tech to add one of those newly recovered formerly lostech USB ports instead of the 5 1/4" disk drive, then copy the software from my whole range of modules to a 512mb "USB memory stick" so I can have all the modules in one slot

Nah, won't work. Damn mechs have like 64MB of ram... and windows 95 as OS Posted Image

#10 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

After some testing, I notice that I often deplete my LRM ammo and never my canon. Does it make sense to cut the canon ammo from 2 to 1 and increase the LRM ammo ?

Is the canon of any use btw, in stock SCR-D ?

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostGoritude, on 25 December 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

After some testing, I notice that I often deplete my LRM ammo and never my canon. Does it make sense to cut the canon ammo from 2 to 1 and increase the LRM ammo ?

Is the canon of any use btw, in stock SCR-D ?

there is no cannon, only missiles on the stock SCR-D, so you must have customized it or be mistaken about it being a cannon

the stock SCR-D has two Long Range Missile 20(LRM20 long range homing missile), two Streak Short Range Missile 2(SSRM2 short range homing missile, and a NARC (dumb fire missile containing a homing beacon allowing target locks on any Mech it hits without line of sight for 30 seconds),

if you are never running out of ammo on a specific weapon I would advise removing some in favor of another weapon, if you are frequently running out then add more, possibly reduce tube count for the LRMs to LRM15s to add more ammo.

are you firing your SSRM2s past 350m? if you are then you need to move them to another weapon group because they do no damage past 350m, Clan LRMs do less damage inside 180m (IS LRMs do no damage inside 180m) it is not usualy worth firing LRMs inside 100m because they will be doing negligible damage.

if it is the NARC you are never running out of ammo for consider replacing it with lasers, perhaps something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...693524022e06279
those 4 lasers mean after running out of ammo you still can do some damage

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 December 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#12 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

I thought Narc was a cannon. Except for the 30 seconds target locking, does this missile change from a cannon ?

In the build you suggest, do you have to remove from stock SCR-D build other parts in addition to Narc ?

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

all I did was remove the NARC then move the LRM from the Right Arm to the RTtorso, then swop the RA omnipod for the SCR-B RA Omnipod

to swap omnipods go to the omnipod tab in the Mechlab and drag the relevent pod into position.

sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "does the missile change from a cannon"

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 December 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#14 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

I mean, you don't have to lock and there is a delay between pulling the trigger and hitting the target.

I don't have scr b. I have scr prime.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostGoritude, on 25 December 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I mean, you don't have to lock and there is a delay between pulling the trigger and hitting the target.

I don't have scr b. I have scr prime.

yes, all missile type weapons have flight time, most have a degree of spread or or track the target, on reflection I can understand why you considered the NARC a cannon, it does fire just the one projectile in a straight line and it has travel time, so would appear like a cannon shell, however it does no damage and literally just attaches a tracking beacon to the enemy Mech.

with an Omnimech you can fit the pods from any variant to any other variant, it does not matter if you own the Mech or not you can still purchase its pods (providing it is available for cbills)

I used the SCR-B RA because it has the 6 energy points, as far as I am aware no other pod for the SCR has more than 2e, so to have a useful amount of lasers you would have had to sacrifice another missile launcher

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 December 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#16 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

No damage from the Narc ! That's annoying. On the other hand when a team mate kills a beaconed enemy, I get bonus score, xp and c-bills. 'Narc kill'.

I can perhaps remove Narc, add LRM ammo and probe. What do you think ?

I have scr d and prime. For the 3d variant, I read scr c is good. Correct ?

#17 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Don't do LRM Spam, please ;) Try buying some Omnipods to fit Laser or Ballistic weapons, the Stock Stormcrow Loadout of the (Champion) Trial Mech is a good point to start.

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostGoritude, on 25 December 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

No damage from the Narc ! That's annoying. On the other hand when a team mate kills a beaconed enemy, I get bonus score, xp and c-bills. 'Narc kill'.

I can perhaps remove Narc, add LRM ammo and probe. What do you think ?

I have scr d and prime. For the 3d variant, I read scr c is good. Correct ?

in the end what you take is your choice, there are those who hate LRMs and consider them worthless, or no skill (despite the fact that using them effectively against experienced players requires as much skill as any other weapon, and excellent map knowledge) and they are less effective against veterans than new players, however it is your decision what weapons you take, if you like the LRMs that is absolutely fine

the Active probe and extra LRM ammo would not hurt, I personally dislike not having some energy weapons for when ammo runs out, and you will run out of ammo occasionally.

as for your 3rd Stormcrow with the Omnipods it makes no difference which SCR you take, I think all the CTs are identical so you can literally level all the Stormcrows with the exact same build on each variant if you want, I would look at the omnipods and decide which you think has the most potential.
looking at them the C has both side torsos and 1 arm with 1 E hardpoint, and the LA with a B hardpoint, the A has 3 M and 4 E, it is basicly the same as your D except with 4E hardpoints on the LA, the B is what I would go with if I were in your situation, 1 arm for 1B hardpoint, the other with 6E hardpoints, but that is just my oppinion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users