Is The King Crab Really Going To Be All That And A Bag Of Chips?

66 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Everyone keeps raving about this mech. Ooooo! Dual AC20 and a large laser. Have you fired dual AC20's in.... I don't know... 6 months? Those [redacted] are hot! I have a feeling this mech is going to just end up another dual Gauss PPC platform. I think they need to revisit the AC20's heat and speed for a dual AC20 assault mechs to work against the clans.

Edited by Egomane, 21 September 2014 - 11:42 PM.
language

#2 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

You miss the point of its a 100 tons, with full armor, 350 std engine, and 2 back up medium lasers for when your six tons of ammo are out. Think Dire Wolf that doesn't die unless you ct it and doesn't have to do dual gauss, dual ppc and move at the speed of a rock. The only thing im betting it has go against it is going to be poor torso twist, but I doubt it will be worse than the dire whale. And this build will run cooler.

#3 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

It's going to be nasty. The AC40 heavy mechs aren't such a huge problem, because they're glass cannons and they have a limited number of heat sinks. The King Crab has more heatsinks and can afford to stare you down while the AC's are reloading.

Yeah, it'll be slow. Yeah, its poor torso twist will be an issue when brawling in open areas. But put this thing in a bottle neck on Forest Colony, Crimson Strait or, horror of horrors, the new Mech Factory map and... well.

Posted Image

#4 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

I think it will be pretty good, I'm thinking AC/40 Jag with atlas armor. I can't wait to see some on the battlefield :)

#5 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm hoping to get one and make it a dual UAC/5 + dual AC/5. Plus whatever energy...maybe one heavy energy, the rest medium or small lasers. My heavy energy can be PPC or LPL....I'll have to see.

#6 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,577 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Who cares if its DOA, its one more 'Mech from the Com Guard Tuykayyid Unit Allocation Table crossed off. This is enough for me!

#7 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

It just screams dual ppc dual ac10 to me... dat 40 dmg pinpoint.

I'll have to wait will it comes out to see if it has the hardpoints thou.

#8 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

It will be able to field 2xGauss + 2xPPC or Quad IS UAC5 and it won't die after side torso explosion, Direwhales will run in fear.

Edited by kapusta11, 21 September 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#9 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostDjPush, on 21 September 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Everyone keeps raving about this mech. Ooooo! Dual AC20 and a large laser. Have you fired dual AC20's in.... I don't know... 6 months? Those Mo-fo's are hot! I have a feeling this mech is going to just end up another dual Gauss PPC platform. I think they need to revisit the AC20's heat and speed for a dual AC20 assault mechs to work against the clans.
when it comes out, I'll show you what I can do with a fully armored 100 ton mech with 2 AC20s ;).

View Postkapusta11, on 21 September 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

It will be able to field 2xGauss + 2xPPC or Quad IS UAC5 and it won't die after side torso explosion, Direwhales will run in fear.
it will be the best IS counter to the Clan DIre. It's greatly needed for us IS guys come CW. The only other 100 ton IS mech I'd take over the King Crab would be a Pillager if we had them :)

#10 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

As with any other mech, it will be for some, not so much for others, and some can care less :P

I think it'll be nice to have another mech at that tonnage. I think it and the Banshee have a lot of potential that most of the community haven't tapped into yet.

#11 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

If its that good they will nerf it. Nothing better can last after it hits cbills.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostSandpit, on 21 September 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

As with any other mech, it will be for some, not so much for others, and some can care less :P

I think it'll be nice to have another mech at that tonnage. I think it and the Banshee have a lot of potential that most of the community haven't tapped into yet.

WubShee is best BanShee.

If you disagree, it will Wub you. Getting Wubbed hurts.

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 21 September 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

WubShee is best BanShee.

If you disagree, it will Wub you. Getting Wubbed hurts.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have C-Bills. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for Mechwarriors like you. If you let my mech go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will Wub you.

#14 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hopefully it will be able to do quad AC-5's with plenty and to spare as well.

#15 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 21 September 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

when it comes out, I'll show you what I can do with a fully armored 100 ton mech with 2 AC20s ;) .

it will be the best IS counter to the Clan DIre. It's greatly needed for us IS guys come CW. The only other 100 ton IS mech I'd take over the King Crab would be a Pillager if we had them :)

You wouldn't take a Devastator?

#16 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

my take on it is, the old farts who are table top, book, lore, etc fans are letting their imaginations run wild. they are happy to see things brought back or brought to life in this game. they assume everything made in this game will be 100% accurate to lore and disregard current game mechanics.

personally i see 3 big problems with it, its short, wide and has low slung arms. those 3 things remind me of the awesome.
anyway its hard to say if the KC is going to be good or not because there are lots of variables not available, like hitbox area/sizes.

#17 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 21 September 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

"We need a doctor!"

"IM A DAWWKTER!!! "

Imagine all those mechs in the water in Forest colony, poppin babies in fear!!

#18 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostDjPush, on 21 September 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Everyone keeps raving about this mech. Ooooo! Dual AC20 and a large laser. Have you fired dual AC20's in.... I don't know... 6 months? Those [redacted] are hot! I have a feeling this mech is going to just end up another dual Gauss PPC platform. I think they need to revisit the AC20's heat and speed for a dual AC20 assault mechs to work against the clans.

I agree 100% standard meta for the KC will be (x)Gauss + (x)PPC, and it will become a super bland mech.

I just really love the look of it. I like the more 'bird-shaped' mechs like the Raven & Catapult, so I'm glad I will now have an assault-sized one. Plus, claws are cool.

#19 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostThe Wakelord, on 22 September 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

I agree 100% standard meta for the KC will be (x)Gauss + (x)PPC, and it will become a super bland mech.

I just really love the look of it. I like the more 'bird-shaped' mechs like the Raven & Catapult, so I'm glad I will now have an assault-sized one. Plus, claws are cool.

Gotta agree that it's probably going to wind up with some super bland loadouts; but I don't think people are excited about the KC for the loadout.

Rather, it's the fact that it'll be a second 100-tonner, and one of the coolest designs to come out of Battletech, period. It's not the first mech you think of when you think Battletech, but when you mention it people know the name, and it's got a reputation. Not only is it cool, but in tabletop, where armor isn't doubled like MWO, you don't mess around with something packing two AC20s.

#20 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

I don't think it's going to be bad, but it could be.

I have a soft spot and a mech bay for every chassis that looks cool MWO brings out even if it is subpar interms of meta. And the KGC may very well end up being really unique and boss looking. At least the concept art looks ******* ace, so far I have high hopes for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users