Need Some Advice On The Awesome 9M.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hi, so Im a really inexperienced assault pilot. I have Battlemasters, and the two clan assaults. Im not very good in any of them IMO. The Awesomes are the only "bad" chassis I haven't tried.

So this weekend I bought three Awesomes (I like a challenge): the Q, the 8V, and the 9M. Im amazed so far at how much I DONT like the 9M, what do I do with it? It has 4 hardpoints in the CT (stupid). Its missile tubes are puny, and putting an XL engine in it seems like suicide. Which means the only thing to do with it is just make it a faster, weaker 8Q. That's boring. So right now I have a STD 340, 3 ER Large and 3 mediums in it. Its OK, I dunno what else can I do? Apparently its supposed to use streaks but like......IS streaks are really weak right now. I had one match in my 8V where I played really well and a fellow Awesome pilot commented "you make the Awesomes proud", which is probably the coolest compliment I've ever gotten in this game, and it has motivated me to get.........Awesome...... with these things. So tell me folks, what is a 9M build that will make Awesomes everywhere proud?

#2 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

9M is the only AWS I kept because it can run an engine large enough to make the chassis move. It's too big to move slow IMHO.

I WAS much enjoying the 9M with 3 PPCs, XL375, DHS, and I think I had a BAP to fill out the weight.

Not so much now since PPCs move like molasses in January. I switched over to ERLLs in place of the PPCs + TAG but now I believe I heard the ERLL got the nerf treatment last patch.

Seems like back in the day when I bought the 9M the go to was 1 Large Lazor in the arm, 2 SRM6, maybe 2 medium lazors in the CT.

Move, move fast, and don't stop moving. Look for enemies engaged, run by, alpha them, keep running, wash, rinse, repeat.

It stinks as it was very nearly Awesome until the PPC nerf.

It keeps its place as underdog but is VERY satisfying when you have a good game, so keep playing it. I will!

Edited by orion0117, 07 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#3 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

View Postorion0117, on 07 September 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

9M is the only AWS I kept because it can run an engine large enough to make the chassis move. It's too big to move slow IMHO.

I WAS much enjoying the 9M with 3 PPCs, XL375, DHS, and I think I had a BAP to fill out the weight.

Not so much now since PPCs move like molasses in January. I switched over to ERLLs in place of the PPCs + TAG but now I believe I heard the ERLL got the nerf treatment last patch.

Seems like back in the day when I bought the 9M the go to was 1 Large Lazor in the arm, 2 SRM6, maybe 2 medium lazors in the CT.

Move, move fast, and don't stop moving. Look for enemies engaged, run by, alpha them, keep running, wash, rinse, repeat.

It stinks as it was very nearly Awesome until the PPC nerf.

It keeps its place as underdog but is VERY satisfying when you have a good game, so keep playing it. I will!

The IS ERLL didn't completely get nerfed. IMO it can be argued whether it was a buff or nerf, that is because the heat was lowered, so builds that were hot already from the IS mechs running 3 to 4 ER LL now will be more heat efficient and have more DPS.

Most people would naturally scold the 1.5s burn time, but when clan erLL released that was their burn time, and they actually worked just fine.

The mechs just don't accelerate/decelerate like they did in MW4 (which was more arcade-ish i.e. CS:GO movements). Thus, I, even being a laser user, don't feel to bad about burn time (though 1.5s is pushing it). So in other words, some of the mechs literally take 1.5s to clear the hill and decelerate down, thus it burning that long logically isn't an issue.

PPC nerf did negatively effect the PPCs but they are still fireable at 500m ish. Anything greater than that, you have to led quite abit, and it leads MUCH more room for the enemy to simply side-step the shot.

#4 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

2erppcs and 4 ml 350xl. tag with the ppc's and when appropriate close and slag them with the 4 ml's.

#5 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

PCHOWW near stock.

Well you never said disliking the ppc, but this works for me. Swap one or two ppc into ER, suit yourself.

#6 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Not gonna lie I kinda suck with PPCs now, Cicada 3m with a pair of em used to be one of my very best mechs, so I've been avoiding them now cause its like a different weapon now and I'd rather just use a large pulse. I guess I'll try an XL engine then see what happens. The missile tubes are only 2 per hard point so I cant aim normal srms for crap like that if it chunks em out in 3 little volleys. I dunno maybe 3 streaks and 3 PPCs? I used something like that on a Quickdraw before and it was fine but that was before nerfs.
Maybe 3 large pulse, a medium laser, and 3 streaks? I'd like to post results of drops but I'm way too lazy to host images somewhere.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 07 September 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#7 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

I've found it to be very worthy with a big XL, 1 ERPPC in the arm for sniping, 2 LPLAS and 3 MLAS, alternating those last two groups on separate triggers. Many variations can be used with missiles as well. I used Streaks a year ago but since have switched to regular SRM-2 launchers often in chain since the fire rate is so quick.

But the 9M's best utility, besides speed, is the most powerful and versatile zombie layout in MWO. People try things like 350 STD, 1 ERPPC, 4 MPLAS, 2 SRM4 (ES and FF taking up most of the space, just the engine DHS, though you could reduce 2 LAS to standard and get 2 more DHS, but this is unnecessary when the particle cannon is only used at range). Lose both torsos later in the fight and you're still bringing 2 MPLAS and an SRM4 to the table - nothing to laugh at.

Edited by Elyam, 08 September 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Oh I like those suggestions a LOT. Trying out your first suggestion tonight, only thing I changed was made it 2 PPCs in the chests and 1 large pulse on the arm for when little buggers get in close and 3 streaks as well with an XL 350. So far I have died a few times to side torso kills but I'll keep practicing with it.

#9 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

I ran my 9M with XL375, and then ERPPC in arm, and lasers in the rest. No missiles. However, this was before I owned an 8Q, and triple PPC has REALLY grown on me.

The projectile speed.... well, it isnt a problem if you can aim. And I am not trying to sound like a D-bag, but it just needs to taget lead correctly. HOWEVER, this can and will be an issue for some players not because of skill but because it increases the window for packet loss and lag shots. When people say "they side stepped my shot" or "dodged it!" Well, you cant, it still moving faster then a mech can, BUT, it is now slow enough that at long range you can see variation in how far you need to lead a target just because of lag and packet loss issues. I have seen this first hand, though usually at that range if ou are playing right, a miss isnt critical.

So, that loadout with PPC and 3 streaks, eh, might be kinda nice if you can manage a BAP to counter that damn ECM light for your streaks.

The giant Xl is a trade off, yeah you die from ST hits, but it affords yuo the speed to actually move aorund the map, and your mech will actually TURN. compared to a STD 300 8Q, which cant turn, and cant move, but can take a beating more. You must plan ahead much more when you top out at 60kph lol.

So stick with it, dont be afraid to try something crazy. hell put triple LRM5's in, run them on chain fire and dont fire them until you have visual on the enemy. Use them for run and gun, cockpit shake helps in defense you know, LRM are stil best used at like 300M, best accuracy, least amount of AMS shot down, cockpit shake usefulness maximized as they will have a real hard time withbrawl weapons on you. I ran LRM's on my pretty baby for that reason, reliable dmg output for not that much heat in chainfire mode when used in "close" range.

#10 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

It should be noted that with the 9M, with the larger engine size, it moves much faster, and thus, makes it harder to aim lasers at max speed. On the flipside, however, it makes it so that you can fire instant damage weapons, meaning PPCs, without exposing yourself nearly as much. The 8Q sits comfortably with a 300 rating engine, going 61 KPH - a speed at which you won't really be dodging bullets, with a slow twist, so LLs fit quite well on them, and its why most people run four LLs as opposed to 3 PPCs (that and ghost heat). The 9M, with speed tweak. goes 84 KPH, able to keep up with most mediums, and it garners faster twisting speed, so it can much more make full use out of PPCs where the 8Q really ends up squandering it. So yeah, PPCs really benefit from that. So do Pulse Lasers, for that matter.

Edit: I don't own the 9M, plan to someday, but based off of how the state of the game is now, I'd imagine that these would take advantage of the 9M's best features.

3 PPCs, 2 SSRM - Basically what I described above, plus SSRMs to fight off lights.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...609774e48ecf4a9

1 ERLL, 2 LPLs, 2 SPLs, 1 SRM4 - less viability at long range, but holds a lot of power at very low heat for those short range encounters and for fending off lights or held keep the pressure on while the LPLs cool down. SPLs over MLs because you have your LPLs for anything over 100m, and while I'd normally say MLs for zombie range, its packing an XL engine.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...065646141955645

Edited by MarsAtlas, 08 September 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#11 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yea honestly the 8Q is probably my favorite so far. The arbitrary superbuff it got means you can fire 4 large lasers at once and only get to like 63 percent heat on caustic. I've been running it with 5 large lasers and a medium, with the lvl 5 large laser range mod. I think I've actually started to get over the "hump" now, like I'm able to manage much hotter builds these days, some of that I'm sure from experience with clan mechs. I'm realizing now more an more that with assaults it doesn't matter as much if your build is hot because your not gonna fire everything at once, its about having different weapon systems available when you really need them, or after people invariably blow a few components off your mech.

Anyway back to the 9M, yea if you use an XL-350 you can actually run 1 Mlas, 2 PPCCs, 1 LPL, and 3 streaks with BAP. It runs hot but of course all those weapons have different uses at different ranges so the heat isn't that bad really. Ugh, yea I'm balking at buying an XL-375 cause I don't know what other mechs it would be good for. I have an XL-390, thought about seeing what I could do with that perhaps if it will fit. Thanks again for all the replies folks. I still can't get over the fact of how much fun I'm having in these tubs, and like I said this is my first assault I've tried since I begrudgingly leveled the Battlemasters after the phoenix pack dropped.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

You can do silly stuff with an XL, but that will get you killed quickly by good shots. I would suggest sticking to standard engines since the mech has good zombie hardpoints. With the cooling quirks, you get dual ERPPC plus MLs or a lot of LLs and pretty low heat.

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

This is what I do with my 9M:

AWS-9M

4 Large Lasers and 20 DHS with 360XL. Have fun not shutting down. I have fire groups of 1/3/4 LLs. Range module and CD module recommended. :ph34r:

Make sure to twist and feed the enemy your left arm as much as possible between shots and when that's gone feed them your right arm (cause you still got 3 lasers in your torso).

#14 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

I used to have a lot of succes with this:
AWS-9M
Seems ridiculous I know, but when it was still 8v8 you had a lot more room to maneuver and you can alpha all day while running around your opponent. "Fast enough to outrun anything you don't outgun" really applied. But now, with 12v12 and clans it's simply getting too difficult. Still I thought I'd share since it's such an uncommon build. Might give you some inspiration

Edited by Pkunk, 14 September 2014 - 11:21 PM.

#15 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:41 AM

Before the hitbox pass in 2013, the 9M was the ultimate Awesome, simply because it could go very fast and could torso twist very well to protect its vulnerable CT.

Ever since the hitbox pass, the tables are turned. XL's in Awesomes are a suicide now(since you always lose a side before dying). Right now, this 'Mech is only good for big STD engines(which means no big weapons) or a few troll zombie builds. It has the most CT+Head hardpoints in this game, not to mention a bonus to CT armor.

#16 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

There was a time when I was practically married to my 9M. I used a huge XL385 (which if I could do over, I'd use an XL375 and save weight) and 3xPPCs.

The Awesome has always struggled due to its hitboxes, but I found a way to make a sprightly PPC platform that could rapidly re-position work.

Add a year or more of patches that added ghost heat, more and more mechs that could Alpha strike right through the AWEs ST, lurms that will eat the barn yard AWE in seconds, and so on - and it basically has no chance anymore.

Since the last quirk patch, I'd advise against a XL, even if that means giving up the 9Ms sanic claim to fame. The cool down buffs are noticeable and help with high heat builds, so I might recommend something with several LLAS and maybe a single ERPPC to reach out and poke people. Honestly though, these days I'd probably rather to that in an 8Q.

It's a sad time to be an Awesome fan. Don't even get me started on the Pretty Baby gathering dust in my garage.

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

I'm using LLaser Range and cool down module so my LLasers have 500m range and below 3 sec cooldown. But its realy unawsome either way but you can alpha untill next day.

Edit: I know many of you seem to think assaults should be fast but....yea I don't

Edited by The Basilisk, 16 September 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#18 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...85ae5a526fa0818
Was my best build before the PPC nerf. It can still perform, but it's not what it was.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...41a4a8f84721646
What I'm running now. Can alpha for days and has serious zombie capability. Twist a destroyed side torso towards your enemy and they're doing 50% of 50% damage on a components with 17% extra armor if they hit your arm nub.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...520b19526f8c523
ER large Awesome. Not really my style, but on big maps it can fire forever with it's cooling efficiency and use range to make up for the low mounted hardpoints. Stalker is just kind of flat out better in this role though.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b330ea035ee1fa
Brawler 9M. Only reason I'm not big on this one is how inferior it is to the Victor in the role.

EDIT: Back armor is flavor to taste, but I'd recommend not going any higher than 10.

Edited by John80sk, 16 September 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#19 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d33180e0218e4fe

I know it looks silly but it makes a fantastic medium and heavy hunter and people go wait did that awesome just blow past me at 85? I have seen it work don't have one myself but it came out of the mind of one of my insane Clan mates. I've played it on test though.

#20 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I figured this thread had died, thanks for the additional replies everyone. I haven't played them in a few weeks because as usual I hop around because I have 60+ mechs and I never stick with one chassis long enough......one of the reasons I remain really mediocre at the game. But looking over the thread again I'll give some of these other builds a try. Im liking the idea of lots of pulse lasers, call it a Wubsome, otherwise I'm gnna have to figure out how to get good with PPCs and manage the heat of the ERs. I can't help it I still like the 8Q best though. Im also super excited for these new quirks Im kinda banking on them to salvage about two-thirds of the chassis in my garage.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 12 October 2014 - 11:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users