28 replies to this topic

#21 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Found it. This thread has excellent concepts to consider. And relevant to this thread, we could have additions like a Foggy Crimson Strait or Smoggy Caustic Valley as other possible concepts to consider, for using assets that already exist and change up existing maps a bit.

#22 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some tweaking required.

#23 Foksuh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

Personally I always thought that even changes to the time of day would have been a nice addition.
Day and night version, or perhaps some other wear changes.
Wintery maps with massive blizzard going on or completely clear(Yeah, we get some of that in frozen city)
Desert with a dust storm or clear? Fog or no fog on some maps? Minor things, not massive changes or lots of re-working.

All these would have added some variety to the existing maps. It might still be a low number of maps but at least they would offer more variety.

#24 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

You're missing the point
New maps would drain CW resources.
New maps are welcome in the long run yes, but right now the quickest way to add some flavor would be to just reskin old maps.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. More maps would undoubtly be an important aspect of developing CW. Other than art assets for CW's UI, I'm not sure the art team has a huge or time intensive contribution to CW...I dumper CW development is much more of an engineering project. If anything, I'd wager new maps would delay the new mechs still working their way through the pipeline, not CW.

If the mech project production timetable allows, I'd like to see some art resources spent re-texturing alternative versions of current maps. Not because I necessarily consider one project more or less important than another...I'd just like to see a bit multi-tasking for various projects whenever possible without disrupting the overall development path set by the Project Manager(s)...I trust their dev path is set the way it is for good reason.

#25 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 22 September 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure this is entirely true. More maps would undoubtly be an important aspect of developing CW. Other than art assets for CW's UI, I'm not sure the art team has a huge or time intensive contribution to CW...I dumper CW development is much more of an engineering project. If anything, I'd wager new maps would delay the new mechs still working their way through the pipeline, not CW.

If the mech project production timetable allows, I'd like to see some art resources spent re-texturing alternative versions of current maps. Not because I necessarily consider one project more or less important than another...I'd just like to see a bit multi-tasking for various projects whenever possible without disrupting the overall development path set by the Project Manager(s)...I trust their dev path is set the way it is for good reason.

I understand
Think of it this way
2014 was the year of mechs
Hopefully 2015 is the year of maps.

#26 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

Man, I wish we had a staff list and the individual projects they're assigned to, so that we could see which aspects of MWO could be reorganized without cutting into CW's release schedule.

I didn't think map makers were part of CW's release, but I can't be too sure.

Edited by ice trey, 22 September 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#27 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

I understand
Think of it this way
2014 was the year of mechs
Hopefully 2015 is the year of maps.

Id agree with that also...though maybe the first couple months will still be mechs due the recent push for a new IS mech pack for another special King Crab give away. There is just no getting around the need for more maps for CW, 2015 really, really needs to be map focused...new and alternatives.

#28 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

I cant imagine using textures and just setting the temp of a map is very time consuming or money wasting. They already have the textures and maps built. If they released modding tools to the public, I could probably reskin and set the temp in a few hours or less.

#29 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 22 September 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Id agree with that also...though maybe the first couple months will still be mechs due the recent push for a new IS mech pack for another special King Crab give away. There is just no getting around the need for more maps for CW, 2015 really, really needs to be map focused...new and alternatives.

yeah man, I know what you mean
But this is just how the game is flowing right now and we just gotta wait it out until they shift focus to maps and other things, something I await eagerly

Edited by Destructicus, 22 September 2014 - 08:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users