27 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

Since my early days of piloting my lovely Centurion CN9-D, I've always been drawn to the allure of the perfect zombie mech. That is to say, a mech which houses most or all of its firepower and equipment in its center, right or left torsos. For a long while, my CN9-D would do swimmingly with a larger engine, and some SRM6+A combined with twin medium lasers, or an ER large depending on the role i chose to play for my team. Running up to 133 (with an xl375) this mech was as effective as a light, but with the armor of a medium. After the relatively large influx of mediums (wolverine, shadyhawk. griffin) I wondered if there was indeed a more perfect chassis than the centurion for the perfect zombie mech. (usually an srm boat) After mastering the griffins, I turned to my loyal GRF-3M. I had recently bought an xl355 for my Jester and threw it in the Griffin. 3srm6, 1 mls and 4 JJ's all in the right at left torsos (ammo in the feet) With over 350 armor, this mech can take a beating and use its arms as disposable shields. With the three SRM 6's tearing away at enemy armor, i easily rack up more than 700 damage per round (sometimes more because i replace the heatsink for another ton of ammo in the ct)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...61d30b124838533

Take a look and try it out. I prefer the Griffin to all mechs in the role of the zombie mech. It has simply THE BEST cockpit view and viewing angles out of any mech in the game (IMO) and relatively good torso twist speed (with a unique twist motor noise as well) Decent zombie speed at 115 tweaked and room for more than 3 JJ's, giving it supreme mobility out of all the rest of the medium zombie builds.

What do YOU think is the perfect zombie weight class? chassis? build? Base this on the ability to survive and deal the most damage the quickest with no arms and possibly no side torsos (standard engines are welcome too)

Here is my best centy zombie build for reference (the old king)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da1e66361ba7c04

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 23 September 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#2 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

Brains!

Now that I have that out of my system:

I've found that the Stalker can actually zombie very well, especially with a CT mounted ER Large. The side torsos are big and shelter the CT nicely so you can twist to get that 50% damage reduction for hitting a pre-destroyed section.

Of course, anything with a head-mounted weapon can technically zombie too, so the Hunchback, Banshee, and so on can zombie fairly well.

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

If side torsos count towards a Zombie mech, then the Shadow Hawk (P) I run might count.

I am running 1 Gauss & 2 MGs LT, 2 SRM4s RT, 1 SRM4 Head. Of course strip all the armor out of the arms for profit! :)

It has been a nice performer for me. It does run an XL so I have some respectable speed, but if used more as a sniper, a slower STD engine could be used.

#4 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 23 September 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

If side torsos count towards a Zombie mech

They don't... Zombie mechs exclusively means a mech that can still deal damage when lost it's both side torsos. Cent A was the original with 2ML in CT and 3 ASRM6 in LT with STD engine. Back in the day the Cent hitboxes and lack of HSR made it extremely durable and very hard to kill.

Also both examples OP uses are running with XL engines... Nope. Only STD engine builds qualify as zombie builds.

#5 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

Got in on some hot zombie action with my awesome 9M last night. It can still dish out 2 SRM 4s and a MPL missing both torsos.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 23 September 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

They don't... Zombie mechs exclusively means a mech that can still deal damage when lost it's both side torsos. Cent A was the original with 2ML in CT and 3 ASRM6 in LT with STD engine. Back in the day the Cent hitboxes and lack of HSR made it extremely durable and very hard to kill.

Also both examples OP uses are running with XL engines... Nope. Only STD engine builds qualify as zombie builds.

Thats kind of what I thought, but at least my mech does meet the OP's criteria I suppose *shrug*.

#7 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

View Postugrakarma, on 23 September 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Right, Classic Zombie is Cent with standard engine. The Zombie part comes in, cause it seems so hard to kill, even after almost everything is shot off it.

A runner up in the Zombie category is the old Hunchbacks, Both torsos blown off and running around killing stuff at the end of the game with your one remaining head laser.

#8 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

The optimal Zombie would be a mech that has both 2 CT and 1 head hardpoint giving it a grand total of three.

I am not sure we have any of those... But i might be wrong.

Still the Cent is THE zombie and now with the arm being boosted it is even more zombie

#9 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

4X Zombie is best Zombie - CTF-4X

#10 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

not sure it is agile enough to fully use the twist and turn. But it does indeed fit the bill hardpoint wise.

#11 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'm just curious, are there ever any clan official clan mechs that have 2 lasers CT, and 1 in the Head? I just mention this because 3 ER Large laser sounds like it could be fun (at least the Gargoyle will be able to have 2 ER Larges in it's Center torso).

After I'm done with the trebuchet (just 3C and 7k Left, 2 PPC + AC/5 on the 7k is pretty darn nice), I'll be trying out the Centurions. I can't wait to zombie them, but I will feel bad that I don't use the ballistic arm like you are supposed to. :P

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Awesome makes the best Zombie.
Head laser, CT laser/missile
Damage reduction on CT.

#13 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

I have to say awesome 9m is currently the most effective zombie.

Most people see 9m runing decently fast, they automatically assume it is XL, then start blasing the side torso. Aws9m can also carry 2 srm4 and 1 medium laser with CT and head. Then there is the +17% armor CT while not being slow.

#14 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

View Postxengk, on 23 September 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Awesome makes the best Zombie.
Head laser, CT laser/missile
Damage reduction on CT.

View Postpulupulu, on 23 September 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I have to say awesome 9m is currently the most effective zombie.

Most people see 9m runing decently fast, they automatically assume it is XL, then start blasing the side torso. Aws9m can also carry 2 srm4 and 1 medium laser with CT and head. Then there is the +17% armor CT while not being slow.

you guys are right - this would be a BLAST to play. might have to get me some Awesome

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3f35b3dcae9d61

#15 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

BANSHEES. Specifically the 3E. Perfect. Zombie. Dakka.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 23 September 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#16 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 23 September 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

you guys are right - this would be a BLAST to play. might have to get me some Awesome

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3f35b3dcae9d61

I like this one better
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...576938b71283cb7

#17 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Fear the zombies. Slow. Terrifying. Banshee.

#18 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostElizander, on 23 September 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

4X Zombie is best Zombie - CTF-4X

I bought the 4X specifically hoping I could replicate the success I had with a Centurion Zombie.

I couldn't do it. The 4X is substantially slower, and certainly back before they re-drew some hit boxes, you lost your CT too easily. I think the destroyed arms do not protect the side torsos as well, and the side torsos of the Cataphract are too small. Hard points are part of a good zombie, but side torso size is important too. As mentioned, the Stalker is an excellent zombie even though I have never piloted one. You always see those things surviving without their side torsos, and with their center torso in reasonably good shape. I cannot comment on the quality of the Awesome or Banshee.

#19 t9nv3

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

I have a particular fondness for this Battlemaster

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d9ae931d4f02b3

#20 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hah I come back after posting this and my Griffin is a "hot" build on Smurphys. Mwahahhaa, fame reached

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users