29 replies to this topic

#1 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHere, there, everwhere!

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

So I am not sure if anyone else that received their Mad Dogs today are experiencing the issue that I am... I went to go put some new paint colours for the standard camo on the MDD-A and MDD-B variants, only to find that the colours cover a very small area of the mech's chassis.

Edit: Apparently other people are noticing this, not sure if this is for everyone or a bug?

Edited by Wo0t, 24 September 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Do they have the option of purchasing additional camo patterns? Cause, the default camo for clan mechs covers a very small portion of the mech surface. Beyond that, I am not certain, as I do not have a Mad Dog...

Edited by Tesunie, 24 September 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#3 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Perhaps I was wrong about it being a bug, is the current camo scheme for MDD-A and MDD-B working as intended? If so, why is it lacking surface area to paint compared to other clan mechs?

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostWo0t, on 24 September 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Perhaps I was wrong about it being a bug, is the current camo scheme for MDD-A and MDD-B working as intended? If so, why is it lacking surface area to paint compared to other clan mechs?

Have you seen the other clan mechs default color scheme? It's just about a line or two and that's it, the rest remains rather grey and does not change. I don't own any clan mechs, but back on the test server, I bought a few and noticed how little was able to be painted up then myself...

#5 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostWo0t, on 24 September 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Working as intended. Its a way to encourage people to buy a thematic pattern, it is also another reason to have met the early adopter bonuses.

#6 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostTesunie, on 24 September 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Have you seen the other clan mechs default color scheme? It's just about a line or two and that's it, the rest remains rather grey and does not change. I don't own any clan mechs, but back on the test server, I bought a few and noticed how little was able to be painted up then myself...

Apparently I could have saved myself a lot of hassle by going back and looking at my other clan mechs default camo. Your are totally right, hardly any room to paint for all clan mechs (aside from PRIME variants). Quite sad imo, forcing people who own clan mechs into either using the Polygon camo spec or buying a different one. With IS mechs after my MC ran out from founders pack I was just using the default camo and colouring with whatever I had. I mean, I see no reason why they HAD to limit the areas that could be painted on the default camo. The only reason I see is for monetary gain, but that is rather shady if that is the case.

Perhaps (however very unlikely to happen) is PGI can reevaluate the default camo for all clan mechs. I mean, I am no designer by any means but how hard it is to allow most of the mechs surface to be painted like IS mechs?

#7 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

I missed polygon camo by three days. :( You 'could' wait for a re-pass on the default colour patterns, but you should not hold your breath, its not the level of difficulty holding off a change.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

All my non-prime Clan mechs have huge swaths of plain grey, unpainted metal. This is the intended default state of the clan mechs' base pattern.

Would you care to share some screenshots of your Mad dog and how you are painting it? And compare side by side with say, a Summoner or Twolf.

#9 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Clan mechs are supposed to be uniform with conservative color schemes, not all painted up with stars, skulls, or flagrant paint schemes like the mechs piloted by Inner Sphere stravags :P

The sameness of Clan mechs shows a uniformity of character and goals:
Destruction of the corrupt Inner Sphere houses and to restore the great Star League!

#10 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 25 September 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

All my non-prime Clan mechs have huge swaths of plain grey, unpainted metal. This is the intended default state of the clan mechs' base pattern.

Would you care to share some screenshots of your Mad dog and how you are painting it? And compare side by side with say, a Summoner or Twolf.

I could do some screenshots, but is it just to see how lacking in colour surface this issue is, or just to see how I am colouring it in general?

View PostHeroForHire, on 25 September 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Clan mechs are supposed to be uniform with conservative color schemes, not all painted up with stars, skulls, or flagrant paint schemes like the mechs piloted by Inner Sphere stravags :P

The sameness of Clan mechs shows a uniformity of character and goals:
Destruction of the corrupt Inner Sphere houses and to restore the great Star League!

While I totally appreciate the lore aspect of your comment n all, we both now MWO hasn't totally adhered strictly to lore in this game. A lot of the time yes they do work with lore, but there are also times when lore goes out the window to suit the game instead. I think this is one of those times that PGI should do such a thing and allow customization for Clan mechs, escpecially for those people who just purchased a mech for cbills and don't have enough MC for a pattern. At least in this case the person could put what they have for paint colours on a camo spec that covers the entire mech like IS. I mean lets be honest - customization is a part of the game, albeit maybe a small part, but a part none the less.

Edited by Wo0t, 25 September 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

if you think the Clan Mech recolouring options are bad take a look at the Ember, Firestarter Hero Mech, more than 95% of the Mechs surface is fixed to its default colour, and as it is a Hero Mech you do not even have the option to chose an alternate camo pattern

#12 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostXphR, on 25 September 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

I missed polygon camo by three days. :( You 'could' wait for a re-pass on the default colour patterns, but you should not hold your breath, its not the level of difficulty holding off a change.

I have the polygon camo for my 1st wave Clan mechs and I had a lot of fun with the colours I own. But it bugs me a fair bit running around in my Mad Dogs with tiny little hints of colour :P I mean.. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because it was fricken awesome PGI allowed us to have the Mad Dog as a bonus and released it so quickly as well. Just wish I could do some more customization is all lol.

#13 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 September 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

if you think the Clan Mech recolouring options are bad take a look at the Ember, Firestarter Hero Mech, more than 95% of the Mechs surface is fixed to its default colour, and as it is a Hero Mech you do not even have the option to chose an alternate camo pattern

The Deaths Knell also has a similar issue.

#14 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 September 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Ya.. that is a total bummer for sure. Remember the days when we couldn't even change the colours on Hero mechs though?! Thank goodness PGI changed that around. I guess we won't see anything fix this situation anytime soon, at least not until CW is up n running in its entirety.

Is it possible to move this topic to a more appropriate forum sub section? I don't wanna tie up the "Workarounds" forum with something that is not a bug

Edited by Wo0t, 25 September 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#15 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

I believe a self report, with that as a request, is the way to take care of that. ;)

#16 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostXphR, on 25 September 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

I believe a self report, with that as a request, is the way to take care of that. ;)

Sorry for sounding horribly stupid, but.. What do you mean by a self report? :blink:

#17 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostWo0t, on 25 September 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

I could do some screenshots, but is it just to see how lacking in colour surface this issue is, or just to see how I am colouring it in general? While I totally appreciate the lore aspect of your comment n all, we both now MWO hasn't totally adhered strictly to lore in this game. A lot of the time yes they do work with lore, but there are also times when lore goes out the window to suit the game instead. I think this is one of those times that PGI should do such a thing and allow customization for Clan mechs, escpecially for those people who just purchased a mech for cbills and don't have enough MC for a pattern. At least in this case the person could put what they have for paint colours on a camo spec that covers the entire mech like IS. I mean lets be honest - customization is a part of the game, albeit maybe a small part, but a part none the less.

View PostWo0t, on 25 September 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

I have the polygon camo for my 1st wave Clan mechs and I had a lot of fun with the colours I own. But it bugs me a fair bit running around in my Mad Dogs with tiny little hints of colour :P I mean.. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because it was fricken awesome PGI allowed us to have the Mad Dog as a bonus and released it so quickly as well. Just wish I could do some more customization is all lol.

View PostWo0t, on 25 September 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Ya.. that is a total bummer for sure. Remember the days when we couldn't even change the colours on Hero mechs though?! Thank goodness PGI changed that around. I guess we won't see anything fix this situation anytime soon, at least not until CW is up n running in its entirety. [color=#959595]Is it possible to move this topic to a more appropriate forum sub section? I don't wanna tie up the "Workarounds" forum with something that is not a bug. [/color] :P[color=#959595] [/color]

Lore aside, I think the real reason the Mad Dog is hardly "paintable" is because PGI was in such a rush to have it ready by Sept 23.
I am confidant we'll be able to paint them soon.
Remember, all the Clan mechs at release didn't have any camo available other than Polygon.

And Wo0t I agree with you on Hero (& Founder's) mechs!
The look of the Founder's AS7-D when painted all white with an Oxblood colored "skull" is pretty cool, and intimidating to see.

#18 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostWo0t, on 25 September 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry for sounding horribly stupid, but.. What do you mean by a self report? :blink:

There is a report button in every comment in the forum. if you report yourself and ask them to move it, someone will probably move it for you.

#19 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostWo0t, on 25 September 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Next to the MultiQuote and Quote buttons is a report feature, clicking on that brings up a report window that will send the entered information as well as a link to this thread in the forums, to someone with the power to review and affect the change.

#20 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 25 September 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Lore aside, I think the real reason the Mad Dog is hardly "paintable" is because PGI was in such a rush to have it ready by Sept 23.
I am confidant we'll be able to paint them soon.
Remember, all the Clan mechs at release didn't have any camo available other than Polygon.

And Wo0t I agree with you on Hero (& Founder's) mechs!
The look of the Founder's AS7-D when painted all white with an Oxblood colored "skull" is pretty cool, and intimidating to see.

Couldn't agree with you more!! I am so glad the mech I chose for my founders mech was the Atlas. I also have mine as all white, onyx "skull" and red accent to the head.

I thought the Polygon camo was released at the same time with the first wave? That's why I think I am having an issue with the Mad Dog, because I am looking at such blandness lol.

View PostXphR, on 25 September 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Next to the MultiQuote and Quote buttons is a report feature, clicking on that brings up a report window that will send the entered information as well as a link to this thread in the forums, to someone with the power to review and affect the change.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 25 September 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

There is a report button in every comment in the forum. if you report yourself and ask them to move it, someone will probably move it for you.

Cheers! Thanks to both of you. Can you tell I am not a frequent flyer on these forums? I guess my amount of posts also gives that away.. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users