#121 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 24 September 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

I am really anxious to get the IS quirks released - it will provide much more diiversity on the battlefield. If you play them to the strengths of the quirks it should make a noticable difference.

And we are anxious to receive them. Any chance of a sneak peek!?

#122 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostBilbo, on 24 September 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

Last time I actively tried to hit cockpits was when it the Atlas cockpit was ridiculously large. I've hit cockpits since, but it was purely coincidental.

Cataphracts get this treatment from me... the head isn't that hard to locate / direct fire to, and they tend to have to face you with a broad frontal target to bring their own fire to bear.

#123 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostEric Wulfen, on 24 September 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

LOL the basic King Crab is SLOW has 2 AC 20s with ONE ton of ammo for each gun, One LRM15 with ONE ton of ammo and an ER Large and THAT IS IT! No more no less, so do not get your hopes up high, now if they were bringing in the Imp or the Anni well then that is a differnet story.

Seriously? Well, I suppose that's good. After all, we don't have access to a Mechlab where we could say, add Endosteel, a larger engine, more ammo... right? Right?

#124 Kristen Redmond

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMad Dog's Cockpit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

Dire Wolf has a nose cone the size of a jumbo jet, and it is all CT. If you stand still for it to ream you out, then fair enough, but I kill Dire Wolves a lot faster than any other assault due to shooting it in the nose. (try to core a warhawk, and you'll see what i mean.)

Admittedly the Atlas is -almost- as easy to core, but the dire is Nose City.

#125 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

View Postsirzorn, on 24 September 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

I was looking forward to the DW release, to test my first "real" Clan mech. After 50 battles played, its clear to me that this thing is the nr.1 in assault mechs. There is absolute no contester (no surprise here i guess).

Ofcourse... there is this one situation, where you are left behind the team and get owned by 2-3 scouts... and, there is this one situation where you made a stupid move and get LRMed to death instantly. But besides that there are alot more situations where nothing can stop you except superior numbers or another dire wolf.

There is absolutely no reason for me to grind another assault mech.

I guess, the same will happen when they release the Stormcrow for C-bills. This will be my medium first choice forever (?) and will stop any further medium mech grinding. And about the heavys...... its the Timbi obviously.... until they bring the mad dog (ofcourse).

I am quite new to this game, and i went for a Ilya as my main mech to grind the C-Bills. I was doing very well in it, but facing all these mad dogs/timber wolves made me stop playing and stick to my DW.

Somebody will say, the reason for the Mad Dog - DW Spam is just the release date.... But i doubt that anyone will go back to an Atlas/Stalker/Victor after feeling the power of the DW. and the OPness of Crow-Timbi-Maddog compared to IS mechs of same weight is way higher. The light class is probably the only one where IS mechs have a good stand.

For now, this is no problem for me, since i still enjoy my fresh bought DW. And since Crow is coming soon, i also have sth. to play in the near future. But at some point i will start to miss the diversity that i´ve seen when i started this game.

I dont think there is a solution in terms of balance. You just cant nerf Clan mechs until they are like IS mechs... Clan mechs are supposed to be stronger. Introducing a 12 vs 10 system would kill the MM, since more people will tend to play the stronger mechs, getting people wait too long for their matches.

The only possible solution i can think of is a IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan system, to avoid the balance problems.

Faction fighting Clans vs IS is just Utopia in my books.

I prefer my Atlas D-DC over any of my Dire Wolves. People always circle a Dire Wolf. Few people try that with an Atlas.

Though I understand the sentiment, Dire Wolves have way better damage potential and aside from a select few counters (which are often hit or miss in their execution or if they're even possible), will wreck literally everything - Even other DWs, often whoever got the first shot in, is not missing a side or started the fight with the most CT armor will win.

#126 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 24 September 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Banshee 3M cooling bonus?

I could always use Moar Wub.

Good lord even my Timber trembles a little at the thought of a cooler Wubshee

#127 lordoverboard

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 24 September 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

I chew up and spit out Dire Wolfs, Timber Wolfs, Mad Dogs, Warhawks, etc. with my Atlas. They'res plenty of diversity.

Ya sure. Can please some skilled assault class player show me how to beat a DW in a direct confrontaion? Alot of people bother writing in here how they outdance a DW in their assault or torso flip their Atlas, but no one bothers acepting my friend requests to enter a private match. Its not like i am a pr0 or sth. seriosuly, i expect most people writing in here being more skilled then me. I still dont expect any assault mech to beat my "pulloutofmyass-loadout-DW".

I dont care if you beatup a DW in your commando, i dont care if u beatup some random brainafk DW in a random game. I want you to beat me in my DW with another assault mech, just so i realize theres a reason to get another assault then DW. For now, my W/L and K/D is by far the best of all my mechs, and i have the feeling its even getting better the more i play the DW. and its just based since i only own 1 variant.

Whatever, back to topic: It doesnt matter what i think about the DW, or you, the skilled Assault pr0s. It matters what Jhonny Average is thinking abou it. I think Jhonny will perform better in its DW then in other assaults, which will make Jhonny play his DW over all other assaults he might own.
Atm, you see DWs everygame, thats probably because of the grind fest. What do you think, how much time do we have to wait till the grind phase is over? 1-2 months? Just want to know when i can come back, revive this topic and see if i was right or not.

Edited by sirzorn, 25 September 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#128 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:35 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 24 September 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Repair and Reload use to do that.
Tonnage Restrictions would do that.
3/3/3/3 failed to do that...

3/3/3/3 could probably help, because it would bring more lights on the field.
But currently there are like 4 or 5 assaults in a match, and 3 of them seem to be DW's And this is not only related to the C-bill release of the DW.

#129 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Postsirzorn, on 25 September 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

Ya sure. Can please some skilled assault class player show me how to beat a DW in a direct confrontaion? Alot of people bother writing in here how they outdance a DW in their assault or torso flip their Atlas, but no one bothers acepting my friend requests to enter a private match. Its not like i am a pr0 or sth. seriosuly, i expect most people writing in here being more skilled then me. I still dont expect any assault mech to beat my "pulloutofmyass-loadout-DW".

Can it beat the terribad WubShee Pulse Laser boat? I'll be on tonight, and I'll have premium time for 3 days. Ask your friend if he wants to be Wubbed.

#130 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

View Postsirzorn, on 25 September 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

I dont care if you beatup a DW in your commando, i dont care if u beatup some random brainafk DW in a random game. I want you to beat me in my DW with another assault mech, just so i realize theres a reason to get another assault then DW. For now, my W/L and K/D is by far the best of all my mechs, and i have the feeling its even getting better the more i play the DW. and its just based since i only own 1 variant.
I'm honestly confused here. You don't care if 3/4 of the enemy team can wreck you, you're only concerned about other assaults? Have you even played this game? There's lots of enemy light/medium/heavy mechs out there.

The Direwolf will usually beat another assault 1v1, assuming equal pilot skill. This doesn't make it the best assault, not by a long shot, because this isn't a 1v1 game. The enemy team isn't full of Assaults; there's 3 or 4 max. You may not even have the opportunity to engage another assault in a given match.

You need to consider how effective a mech is against every other mech. Being superior to other assaults, but inferior to practically everything else leaves you disadvantaged in the majority of encounters.

But, you're not interested in whether or not the mech is overpowered, you only care if it is in a very contrived and limited set of circumstances.

Whatever, back to topic: It doesnt matter what i think about the DW, or you, the skilled Assault pr0s. It matters what Jhonny Average is thinking abou it. I think Jhonny will perform better in its DW then in other assaults, which will make Jhonny play his DW over all other assaults he might own.
Atm, you see DWs everygame, thats probably because of the grind fest. What do you think, how much time do we have to wait till the grind phase is over? 1-2 months? Just want to know when i can come back, revive this topic and see if i was right or not.

Of course you see DW's in every game; it's just been released for cbills. Just like you saw Nova's in every game when it was released for cbills.

As to what "Jhonny Average" thinks, I could care less. Jhonny Average is probably a moron who doesn't understand how the game works, and cries endlessly that people with "macros" are cheating and beating him. What ignorant (willfully or otherwise) people think really doesn't matter to me.

Bring 3xDire Wolves in every match. This just either slows your team dramatically, or leaves 300 tons isolated. Either way, it severely limits your team.

Finally, consider: Clan players have a whopping two options currently: Dire Wolf and Warhawk. If you're a Clan player, and not interested in IS mechs, those are pretty limited pickings. The Warhawk isn't a bad mech, but it's a more niche design that appeals to a more limits set of players: those wanting a fast, moderately hitty assault as opposed to OMG THE DAKKA. At best, you'd be looking at 50% of Clan assault players sporting direwolves, but as MWO is heavily tonnage oriented per class due to 3/3/3/3 (why take an 80t assault when you can take a 100t assault?) there's obviously going to be more of them.

Also..... Lets see how the Dire Wolf fairs in a direct confrontation with a King Crab sporting dual AC20's as well as significant backup weaponry and greater maneuverability.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users