Where The Mad Dog (Vulture) Went Oh So Wrong. Offically Closed! Problem Fixed!

223 replies to this topic

#61 Bacl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUsually between a rock and a Atlas

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

allow me to re-acquaint you with the TL;DR portion:

funny that-

Funny how you respond to an opinion with a straight aggression by supposing i didnt read your entire post ( in short either i'm lazy or a moron, knowing you i think you would suggest both), specially when you read my post i agree with you on the arms lasers and the stance the mech is supposed to have. However i didnt agree on the melo-dramatic, the end is near tone of your post.

Pardon me if i m not a venerable forum warrior but hey i have other things to do. Now when it come to the Esthetic of the vulture well like i said earlier it could have been worse. If you want a pristine example of how they could have ****** it up just take a look at the Battle Master, its closer to the Templar then the BM, still a gorgeous mech to look at even tho its nowhere near the BT design.

Agree with me then cool, dont agree well its a shame but we can either keep talking about it or simply agree to disagree but keep it constructive.

#62 Bacl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUsually between a rock and a Atlas

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 24 September 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

Copyright only applies to the mechs they don't have a license for, which were some of the mechs from the 3025 TRO that BT copied from Robotech, which was subsequently acquired by Harmony Gold who then went on a suing spree.

I agree that a lot of mech designs are too similar to Macross content and so have trouble getting them in this game, Marauder being the most notorious one.

For the Vulture i dont know if it looks like anything belonging to Harmony Gold or anything else, might be wrong but that design is pretty "unique" and personally never seen anything close to it out of the BT MW universe.

#63 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

I like the MWO model but this is the best one:

An agile and aggressive predator. One of the few CBT mechs that should not be "interpreted".

Edited by EvilCow, 24 September 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#64 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

The funny thing is, Harmony Gold, never actually had the rights to those mechs. It was proven a few years back in the Japanese courts, HG bought the shows that they butchered and duct tapped together to make Robotech from a company that only had distribution rights to Japan, that company sold the rights that they never had to HG. If HG wanted them, then the should have gotten them from Studio Nu or Big West, the companies that created the Macross franchise. When HG got into a tussle with Studio Nu and Manga Entertainment about Macross Plus, they (HG) got raked over the coals about it in the Japanese court system, it's also why they've been so silent till the last round of the Mechwarrior 5 trailer.

So in short HG, is blowing smoke with no fire to back it about the mech designs, but no-one feels like taking them head on about the rights, or going to Studio Nu or Big West to get the rights.

#65 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

I didn't like the older in game designs. This one, however, I think is beautiful.

I didn't like the older in game designs. This one, however, I think is beautiful.

#66 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 24 September 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

Well after the Timberwolf I really didn't expect this mech to look quite right. I was hoping at least the arm barrels would get represented a bit more faithfully but I'm not entirely surprised. On a side note, when you look at the models they do that Harmony Gold doesn't have a claim on it makes me think PGI's version of a Marauder would end up different enough to avoid litigation while somewhat resembling the old model some of us remember with nostalgia.

******* THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

#67 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 892 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 24 September 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

It is a merge between the classic and the MW4 design in my mind. The best of both worlds.

I will absolutely buy it once it hit for CBills

That was my first impression as well. While I genuinely prefer the more classical version (or rather the mechs I saw as they were in MW2) I am willing to accept the compromise between MW2 and 4 appearance.

It tends to be primacy, in that the first time someone sees something is forever the comparison to which all future comparisons are made... thats why when teaching it is incredibly important to do a proper demonstration the first time, and why first impressions are so critical.

My first time into battletech was mechwarrior 2 (and 2 mercs) so to my mind that is how all the mechs should appear. But others may have the same feeling but from mech 4 or even mech assault *shivers*.

Edited by Flyby215, 24 September 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#68 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostFlyby215, on 24 September 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

That was my first impression as well. While I genuinely prefer the more classical version (or rather the mechs I saw as they were in MW2) I am willing to accept the compromise between MW2 and 4 appearance.

It tends to be primacy, in that the first time someone sees something is forever the comparison to which all future comparisons are made... thats why when teaching it is incredibly important to do a proper demonstration the first time, and why first impressions are so critical.

My first time into battletech was mechwarrior 2 (and 2 mercs) so to my mind that is how all the mechs should appear. But others may have the same feeling but from mech 4 or even mech assault *shivers*.

I think most people that are over the age of 25 can agree that MW4 is the train wreck of the series... Mechassualt did one thing right, and one thing only, the let me blow the ever loving hell out of a city in a Timber Wolf.

But that mission where I had to be in an elemental and go against an assault mech, made me take out the disk and through it across the room. I didn't even try Mechassualt 2.

#69 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Mechwarrior 2 (PC) got me into the Battletech and Mechwarrior universe (main reason I still like the clan mechs and think Clan Wolf ain't so bad lol).

Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate Moon was awesome. They were my favorite Mechwarrior games.

I never played MW4. I still want to though (train wreck or not).

In any case, I still have a lot of fond memories of MW2. Great game.

P.S. I was so used to the Clan names for Clan mechs that when I played later games, I was confused as to why the names changed...at least at first.

#70 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

It's fine. Stop your bellyaching about minor cosmetics.

#71 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 24 September 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 (PC) got me into the Battletech and Mechwarrior universe (main reason I still like the clan mechs and think Clan Wolf ain't so bad lol).

Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate Moon was awesome. They were my favorite Mechwarrior games.

I never played MW4. I still want to though (train wreck or not).

In any case, I still have a lot of fond memories of MW2. Great game.

P.S. I was so used to the Clan names for Clan mechs that when I played later games, I was confused as to why the names changed...at least at first.

I know, I'm right there with you, I got into it from MW2, then I played GBL and Merc's... got into TT, then MW3, the expansion pack for MW3, I think I played one or two missions in it, before stopping. Something about starting with a medium and having a freaking Atlas ambush you kind sucked hard.

MW4, just wrecked everything, it felt like a step backwards in terms of graphics, it felt too arcade like.. Though MW4 Mercs wasn't too bad, still too arcade like.

#72 Psyker

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

The Mad Dog is probably the best looking mech in game right now.

#73 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

I like the new design - So much about the old Vulture looks stupid.

Sure, the general theme of the design is nice, but so many aspects; The ridiculously long body, the spindly little arms & straw legs, the daft shoulder placement, the weapon barrels that look like rifles not lasers, etc.. needed to be improved.

And lo, now they are.
I give this new effort way more appreciation than the old one.

Same as the old Timber; The general shape was great, but it suffered from similar design flaws that have now been rectified.

#74 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

I like it as is and left alone.

while I have both packs

This thing is my IS Archer.

That I will never get, so leave the real ones second cousin's looks alone :angry:

View PostPsyker, on 24 September 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

The Mad Dog is probably the best looking mech in game right now.

One of the best, as the founder builds look very TROish but as a new breed two years on, it's extremely good

#75 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostBeliall, on 24 September 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yes 90kph or only a measly 56mph .. thats not too fast.

Have you seen these before?

Posted Image

Large flat surface area but moves much fast than 90kph

yeha just with the difference a mech is much bigger and agility is survivability, while a truck is a simple workhorse where this rarely matters.

#76 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Bishop I'm gonna have to disagree with you however I do respect your opinion. Personally I like the new look. To me it seems more viable. The older designs had the legs too skinny for my tastes like it skipped leg day or something. The newer designs have it where the legs are large enough to support the upper frame of the Mech itself. Granted the Barrels could be longer. It would be nice to see larger focusing lenses between sizes but all in all I like this new design.

Now to the ones who want to lynch me for even stating my opinion...Too bad.

#77 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

The problem with digitigrade legs is that they need to be semi-erect to work. If they have it rigged to anything like physics for moving you can't have something as steep as the original artwork and have it look right when walking. It's unstable as hell.

It's the animation of digitigrade leg movement that creates a problem, you get an extreme version of a chicken-walk.

Also... armor. It's supposed to have armor. If you can have a pencil-thin War Dog leg sport about the same armor as the Thor leg... why are the thors legs 10x bigger? Bad armor? Wasted mass in exoskeleton?

Without that sort of continuity you have artwork that doesn't give with everything else.

Edited by MischiefSC, 24 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#78 Gilgamesh Drakenor

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Mad Dog has been my favorite mech forever. This version looks pretty good, and I hope to get my hands on them soon.
I'm just glad it's not the ugly MW4/Clickytech design...

Regarding the angle of the legs: as I recall, in MW2 the Mad Dog "sat down" when you stopped moving, making the angle of the legs smaller (which would be like the pose in the TRO pic). It "stood up" when you started moving again, making the angle about the same as what we have now. I may be remembering wrong though.

Edited by Gilgamesh Drakenor, 24 September 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#79 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

On the bright side, the Mech is a bit smaller now so it can hide better!

#80 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Its not a Mad Dog, it's merely mech thats looks similiar and pretends to be a Mad Dog :(

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users