37 replies to this topic

#21 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

Ya its BS, not like you're ever going to get a 1 hit headshot wth SSRMs anyhow.

Edited by DONTOR, 25 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#22 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostKevjack, on 25 September 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

My 6x SSRM4 Angry Doggy sure has been massacring heaps of lights. The damage done by the first burst always makes me throw my head back in laughter.

How much more can they nerf them though? You already see GH after the 3rd launcher, and they have a 5 second cooldown. Plus there is no cooldown module for the Streak 4 or 6.

Can't wait to test an Ice Ferret with 2x Streak 4 and a couple lasers.

That reminds me, will 6x chain-fired streaks make a comeback? With a 5 second cooldown, that's more than 1 SSRM4 a second if you time them right, even faster for 2s.

#23 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

If SSRMs could reliably hit heads, you'd see a huge SSRM spam meta develop, geared toward headshots.

SSRMs are hardly broken right now (they are neither UP nor OP, they seem just about how they should be). Don't "fix" what isn't broken.

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 25 September 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

If SSRMs could reliably hit heads, you'd see a huge SSRM spam meta develop, geared toward headshots.

Given that the parts hit by SSRMs are governed by probabilities, and as long as the probability of hitting the cockpit is directly proportional to its size in relation to other parts, there is little danger that mechs will suddenly die to SSRM head shots in droves.

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 25 September 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

SSRMs are hardly broken right now (they are neither UP nor OP, they seem just about how they should be). Don't "fix" what isn't broken.

Just like people consider ECM "broken", I consider this also as such.

#25 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

I think the magic forcefield that makes SSRMs deflect to (essentially) random body parts instead of the spot I'm aiming for should be gotten rid of.

#26 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostKevjack, on 25 September 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

My 6x SSRM4 Angry Doggy sure has been massacring heaps of lights. The damage done by the first burst always makes me throw my head back in laughter.

How much more can they nerf them though? You already see GH after the 3rd launcher, and they have a 5 second cooldown. Plus there is no cooldown module for the Streak 4 or 6.

Can't wait to test an Ice Ferret with 2x Streak 4 and a couple lasers.

Bunch of stuff you could do, especially if they separated lock on between lrm and ssrm. stuff like

-Fix Artemis so it no longer gives ssrm faster lock on with no crit or weight cost.
-lower damage
-revert the cool down back to ~5 and ~7 seconds for cssrm4/6
-longer time to acquire lock based on amount of streaks
-require re locking after firing (could also make it so you can't get lock until the weapon reloads)
-require direct line of sight, so no sharing locks and pre locking before seeing the target
-reduce range (especially for clan ssrm, no reason they should have longer range than srm, could also base it on size of the launcher like AC's even though yes that doesn't make much sense)
-lower missle health and increase the effectiveness of ams at close range

I think some of those could work fine.

Edited by dario03, 25 September 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#27 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

View Postdario03, on 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Bunch of stuff you could do, especially if they separated lock on between lrm and ssrm. stuff like

-Fix Artemis so it no longer gives ssrm faster lock on with no crit or weight cost.
-lower damage
-revert the cool down back to ~5 and ~7 seconds for cssrm4/6
-longer time to acquire lock based on amount of streaks
-require re locking after firing (could also make it so you can't get lock until the weapon reloads)
-require direct line of sight, so no sharing locks and pre locking before seeing the target
-reduce range (especially for clan ssrm, no reason they should have longer range than srm, could also base it on size of the launcher like AC's even though yes that doesn't make much sense)
-lower missle health and increase the effectiveness of ams at close range

I think some of those could work fine.

Some good ideas there. Of them all the cooldown reversion is the only one I'm totally against, just because 6 secs and 7 secs were waaay too long, and they were completely unviable. If you nerf the range and increase lock time. there's no reason to make the reload longer.

Edited by Kevjack, 25 September 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#28 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostKevjack, on 25 September 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Some good ideas there. Of them all the cooldown reversion is the only one I'm totally against, just because 6 secs and 7 secs were waaay too long, and they were completely unviable. If you nerf the range and increase lock time. there's no reason to make the reload longer.

Agreed, the list was a pick and choose, definitely not a do all of these list.

#29 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

But what about LRMs? They should hit the head in hight priority!

#30 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostViges, on 25 September 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

But what about LRMs? They should hit the head in hight priority!

Which brings up the question: Do SRMs and LRMs also not hit the cockpit?

#31 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 September 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Answer this: What's so special about the cockpit that it needs special treatment against damage?

You can make streaks hit the cockpit on some mechs - can I ask *why* you're posting this? The headshot achievement should not be helped substantially by weapons that aim themselves, it's supposed to be hard to do. If you get close and twist while firing you can do it. To hit ECM mechs I've even targeted a distant mech, positioned the ECM mech between me and the distant mech, and let 'er rip.

Seriously though, the thread came on pretty strong - what gives?

View PostFupDup, on 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

I think the magic forcefield that makes SSRMs deflect to (essentially) random body parts instead of the spot I'm aiming for should be gotten rid of.

You could just use aim-able missiles though, too. Streaks do that so there's a point to real SRMs. If you can aim at the spot, use SRMs. If you can't aim at a spot, use streaks. I know you've been playing long enough to know this.

#32 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 25 September 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

You can make streaks hit the cockpit on some mechs - can I ask *why* you're posting this? The headshot achievement should not be helped substantially by weapons that aim themselves, it's supposed to be hard to do. If you get close and twist while firing you can do it. To hit ECM mechs I've even targeted a distant mech, positioned the ECM mech between me and the distant mech, and let 'er rip.

Seriously though, the thread came on pretty strong - what gives?

From what I can gather, SSRMs never damage the head. It is hardcoded into MWO. I want that removed.

As for why I am posting this, it most certainly was not because of the achievement. I actually was not even thinking about that one. This topic came about because people in another thread were asking for the cockpit to be immune from artillery and air strikes.

Edited by Mystere, 25 September 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#33 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIn Your Periphery Stealin Your Planets

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostKassatsu, on 25 September 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

That reminds me, will 6x chain-fired streaks make a comeback? With a 5 second cooldown, that's more than 1 SSRM4 a second if you time them right, even faster for 2s.

Tried that on a Mad Dog, wasnt as impressive as I'd hoped, 6 srm4s are just flat out better really for the instant fire ability and no need to get a lock.

#34 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 25 September 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

You could just use aim-able missiles though, too. Streaks do that so there's a point to real SRMs.

Aren't Streaks in Battle Tech an upgrade to SRMs?

In this game they are a downgrade.

They weigh more, they practically require Active Probe - they have longer cooldowns than SRMs and with all of those drawbacks they end up crappier with a crappy homing mechanic that makes them a waste of tonnage vs. "not light mechs" in comparison to SRMs.

I really do not think this is the best that can be done with this weapon system.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 25 September 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#35 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

In the lore, you know- what this game is supposed to be based on- headshots were reserved to show extreme skill, or extreme brutality, with some even more rare instances of both at once.

I know in CoD, people YOLO around looking for their l33t snipr nest to kamp, looking for Boom, Headshots.

I would be 100% OK if they removed Boom, Headshot from MWO completely. In this game, there is really not that much "skill" in getting a headshot, you can go to practice grounds and learn where to aim on every mech pretty much. Most of it comes down to a target presenting the opportunity, which the bigger they get the easier and more oft that happens, and having sufficient PING stability on you and target that HSR doesnt freeak out.

Thats it. The rest is blind luck. I actually avoid aiming at heads, and apologize if something random or accidental happens, like HSR freak outs or the target turns just the wrong way at just the right time. I dont want to be the reason that other player's fun got cut way short, his mech in decent shape suddenly ganked. Some things are more important then "play to win"

People come here and piss and moan about being killed so fast, TTK arguments left and right, but we should leave insta-gank headshots in the game. I think the most rediculous thing is the random number generator artillary headshots. "SKILLSHOT"

So I doubt I have to respond especially to the idea of auto-aim headshot missiles, I think my opinion can be inferred.

#36 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 September 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

From what I can gather, SSRMs never damage the head. It is hardcoded into MWO. I want that removed.

As for why I am posting this, it most certainly was not because of the achievement. I actually was not even thinking about that one. This topic came about because people in another thread were asking for the cockpit to be immune from artillery and air strikes.

Thanks for taking the time to respond seriously :) lots of people's knee-jerk reaction on the forums is pure venom.

You can "fling" missiles with a lot of practice, I used to do it to try to focus SSRM damage while driving my oxide. It's a lot of work and its not 100% - the best I could ever do was bias the damage to one particular side of an enemy mech. Deaths to headshots from arty/air are rare, but frustrating. I can see how some newer guys get bent out of shape by it.

Edited by Fierostetz, 25 September 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#37 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

MechWarrior 3 did SSRMs right. Zipper Interactive had been making simulations for the Defense Dept. prior to making MW3 and it really shows in the sim qualities of MW3 weapons. MW3 SSRMs are Battle Tech correct.

#38 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 25 September 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

You could just use aim-able missiles though, too. Streaks do that so there's a point to real SRMs. If you can aim at the spot, use SRMs. If you can't aim at a spot, use streaks. I know you've been playing long enough to know this.

Yes, I am well aware of how normal SRMs work in this game. I still think the current SSRM implementation is dumb though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users