I Didn't Max-Out 5 Hunchbacks Just So I Can Run 1 Of Them.

Mode

105 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

I don't really like the idea of having to own 3+ of a Chassis in order to level them up, and then be told I can only use 1 of them in a combat-mode that allows you to take 4 Mechs into battle.

There's a reason I leveled-up my Hunchies; it's because I like them. I have a small army of Hunchbacks in my hangar right now, but the 1/1/1/1 dropship mode won't let me take more than one of them into combat.

How are we supposed to reconcile a 3+ Variant leveling-system with a dropmode that outright defies it? We're required to own multiple variants in order to access end-game content such as expanded module slots and efficiency multipliers. I don't think it's really fair to make people own a minimum of 12 different Mechs just so they can drop with 4 leveled vehicles. This certainly blows a hole in the concept of F2P, since the Free Player can't level-up 12 Battlemechs to the max (not enough Hangars or time)

A F2P player CAN level up 3 Mechs to full status, though... hint hint. Given enough time, they could theoretically max-out a set of variants. However, in dropship mode, they will have to drop with multiple Trial Mechs even though they have several owned Mechs in their hangar that they spent ungodly hours in the play queue to earn and master.

The only way I can see the 3+ Variant Leveling System coexisting peacefully with a DropShip mode is to allow us to drop in more than one variant of a Chassis. Otherwise, you might was well let us Max-Out our Mech Variants without having to own 3 of them.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 September 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

well this would let me get xp in my Atlas, Timber wolves, blackjack and a raven. I could be leveling 4 mechs a match.

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostBrody319, on 25 September 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

well this would let me get xp in my Atlas, Timber wolves, blackjack and a raven. I could be leveling 4 mechs a match.

Assuming you own 12 hangars and Mechs, then yes: you could be on the path to leveling up 4 Mechs in a match. Also, if you like BlackJacks more than Ravens, then you're SoL. You can't play in the Mechs you want to play in.

Might as well avoid the Faction Queue and just play solo.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 September 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Just swap your hunchies out between matches.

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

On my alt account I was able to level up no problems... I sold and re-bought a couple times, granted. But with all the free mechbay's they've given away, it's not as bad as all that.

Everyone pays, F2P is a myth. Everything costs time or money. Pick one. :)

#6 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Great Idea I should get to pick the Timberwolf for my 4 mechs.

#7 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostBrody319, on 25 September 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Why would you be leveling mechs in dropdecks?

Also go go tonnage limits vs 1x1x1x1

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 25 September 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Great Idea I should get to pick the Timberwolf for my 4 mechs.

That would weigh 300 tons. You don't have to allow 300 tons in a dropship.

Allowing 240 tons (an average of 60 tons/Mech, which equals the average Mech Weight/Mech ((20+100) / 2)) would let us use at least 2 of any Mech we own in bulk. That's at least TWICE as many of our Favorite Mechs per match, which would improve player satisfaction.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 September 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

A free to play player who only has 3 Hunchbacks can still play as many consecutive matches in different hunchbacks as he wants, especially if he plays the regular queue (a drop deck of 4 weight classes is only a thing for CW)

also, even if you have zero mechs, you will always be able to load a drop deck of 1/1/1/1 because you get trial mechs.

If you don't want to use other weight classes then stick to the non-CW normal gameplay. If you want to use CW but don't have more mechs, use trials. The free to play player is not being stifled here.

#10 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

As I said in the other thread about this, it would end up with people dropping in three heavies and a Locust, suiciding once their Locust is up.

1/1/1/1 isn't the perfect system, but it's better than 3x Timber Wolf + 1 stripped-down Locust.

#11 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

The 1/1/1/1 system is stupid if you ask me.

I've spent years trying to perfect my game in Medium Chassis - a class that is looked down upon by a lot of people on the forums. My thought was that most people would want to be in Heavy and Assault Mechs, so I'd take the Mediums and become really good with them . So you guys can take your Heavy/Assaults and I'll fill in the support role with my Medium....making for a stronger team because we're all very used to playing our roles.

Now that the real game (ie. Community Warfare) is coming, I'm told "Tough luck buddy, strap yourself into an Assault [Trial no less] for the very first time - we're heading to the periphery to defend against the Clans!" It's incredibly lame.

The dream of CW, one that I've been waiting a very long time for, is being crushed because of an arbitrary rule. The excitement for the game is dwindling.

Edit:
In my opinion, the whole 4-Mech Drop Deck thing shouldn't even be a part of CW. I thought CW was supposed to be the "Hardcore" game mode... Now it's going to get limited Respawns?
The whole concept is completely backwards. Put the "Drop Deck" in the Non-Faction Qs.

Edited by Fut, 25 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#12 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

View Poststjobe, on 25 September 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

As I said in the other thread about this, it would end up with people dropping in three heavies and a Locust, suiciding once their Locust is up.

1/1/1/1 isn't the perfect system, but it's better than 3x Timber Wolf + 1 stripped-down Locust.

Well, I'd love to see a tonnage restriction of 240 tons for each players' drop deck, but with a 4-mech requirement. That would ensure that people would not be able to bring any more than two Timberwolves (and no, running a locust that only "weighs" 15 tons because of its loadout wouldn't work - the 'Mech would still account for 20 tons of your drop deck).

#13 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

View Poststjobe, on 25 September 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

If i see someone on my team who is down to just a locust suicide there will be some serious discussion. Even if youre mech is completely stripped, you can impact the battle.

Thats not the point of this though.

Weight limits ftw. Add in a condition so you cant bring more than 2 of a single weight class if you must. But we shouldnt be forced to 1x1x1x1 for cw.

#14 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 September 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

That would weigh 300 tons. You don't have to allow 300 tons in a dropship.

Allowing 240 tons (an average of 60 tons/Mech, which equals the average Mech Weight/Mech ((20+100) / 2)) would let us use at least 2 of any Mech we own in bulk. That's at least TWICE as many of our Favorite Mechs per match, which would improve player satisfaction.

Why the heck should I have to run lights if I want to play heavies? If someone wants to use their HBKs that they love, I want to run 4 of the mech I like, there's zero reason to cater to the 240T restriction, then you're forcing people to take trial light mechs which was the whole argument from many players that don't want to play a heavy, so pretend you don't want to run L M or H but only assault,

You can't complain about 1/1/1/1 unless you're willing to let a player take 4 TW/DW. I mean I love my Embers but I could troll the hell out of people using spiders and embers, it's in most players favors to force me to run only 1 to keep from rage quitting. Bugged spider hitbox is amazing, I'd rather not have someone using 4 of them.

Also any talk of weight limit..... You don't like 1/1/1/1 because you don't want to pilot mech X, then just argue to let people pick 4 of whatever mechs, otherwise you're restricting people to play mechs they don't want. The exact same thing you're complaining about!

Edited by shad0w4life, 25 September 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#15 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 25 September 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Also any talk of weight limit..... You don't like 1/1/1/1 because you don't want to pilot mech X, then just argue to let people pick 4 of whatever mechs, otherwise you're restricting people to play mechs they don't want. The exact same thing you're complaining about!

While I do agree that it's a bit hypocritical, I think that the general consensus is that Light & Medium Mechs are inferior to Heavy & Assault Mechs. I can only assume that's why people are trying to formulate some sort of Drop Ship Weight Limit.

Edit:
You totally make a great point though.
I don't want to have to play anything outside of my chosen weight class, so I shouldn't expect other people to have to play outside of theirs.

There must be some sort of compromise... we all just need to brainstorm more.

Edited by Fut, 25 September 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

1/1/1/1 makes no sense. It should just be 240 ton drop limit.

#17 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostFut, on 25 September 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

While I do agree that it's a bit hypocritical, I think that the general consensus is that Light & Medium Mechs are inferior to Heavy & Assault Mechs. I can only assume that's why people are trying to formulate some sort of Drop Ship Weight Limit.

Edit:
You totally make a great point though.
I don't want to have to play anything outside of my chosen weight class, so I shouldn't expect other people to have to play outside of theirs.

There must be some sort of compromise... we all just need to brainstorm more.

The compromise is already in place. If everyone has to take 1 of each no pilot or weight class is ever being singled out. There aren't any drop weight proposals I've seen that wouldn't be abused in some manner.

#18 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

There is no compromise that will make everyone happy, so the next best thing is something that everyone finds annoying. The problem is that the MM essentially stops doing 3/3/3/3 in CW. So there is no way to balance tonnage in a meaningful manner. By creating a 1/1/1/1 system the problem of tonnage is somewhat mitigated by averaging out tonnage among 12 players. If you limit tonnage you have players trading mechs for respawns or create delays in the mm. I prefer heavies, but i'm okay with playing other classes.

I actually hope the model encourage people to buy mechbays and things... its what will keep the game going.

#19 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 September 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

1/1/1/1 makes no sense. It should just be 240 ton drop limit.

The more I think about it. The less viable that sounds. Pre3/3/3/3 we had teams of all heavies and assaults who would just roflstomp the enemy. So putting a tonnage limit means that people will bring a suicide light, and 3 bigger mechs. I mean locusts with no armor, a 100 XL engine, and nothing else. Then they would just charge into the enemy's base, get cored.

I know 1/1/1/1 would piss people off because they have to bring bad trial lights, and cant just level all 3 mechs of a specific chassis in one match, but its better than having the wave of suicide lights followed by the timber wolf pack.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

The compromise is already in place.

Forcing players to play mechs they dont want to isnt really a compromise.

Also forcing players to play lights and mediums doesnt fix whats wrong with those weight classes either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users