26 replies to this topic

#1 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

And I can already tell that outside of a few cheese builds (6xSRM6 LBX20 anyone?), it's just Timberwolf fodder, like most other heavies.

On the other hand, it does have some good and fun builds, but it suffers from what I like to call the Dragon Syndrome.

Will likely end up with one with 5 medium lasers, 6 tons of SRM ammo, 6xSRM6, max torso armor and near max arm/leg armor and a bunch of heat sinks for when I'm feeling cheap. Others... Not sure yet, having an LBX20 is always fun so I'll probably figure out a build around that one that isn't 6xSRM6+LBX20, although I will admit that build is hilarious to hit somebody from behind point-blank with.

EDIT: Couple builds I've already tried: MDD-PRIME
6SRM6/LBX20

Also tried out a build with 4xSRM2 and 2xSRM4 (to avoid ghost heat firing all at once, 2 tons ammo between the two) with 2 ERLL and 2 LPL but it ran WAY too hot to actually be useable. Totally redid that one into a more standard 6xSRM4, 2ERLL and 2ERML with more heat sinks and ammo.

About to try 6xSRM6 and 5 medium lasers, expecting terrible things.

Edited by Kassatsu, 25 September 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Mad dogs just look so silly imo. Like a hotdog from the front, and a dragon that ran into a wall too fast from the side. Haven't seen any of them be a threat to anything, at best they are a weaker Catapult.

#3 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostBrody319, on 25 September 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Mad dogs just look so silly imo. Like a hotdog from the front, and a dragon that ran into a wall too fast from the side. Haven't seen any of them be a threat to anything, at best they are a weaker Catapult.

They're decent direct fire support mechs, but they're no Timberwolf. I wouldn't even call them an acceptable brawler chassis either.

#4 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

I spectated one and watched him kill off the enemy team one after the other with SRM splat. That seems to be the obvious way to do something unique and impressive with them.

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Why are you even comparing it to a Timber Wolf? It is a 60 ton mech vs a 75 ton mech. Of course the Timber Wolf is going to be superior. Instead you need to be comparing it to a Quickdraw, Catapult or Thunderbolt.

#6 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostKassatsu, on 25 September 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

And I can already tell that outside of a few cheese builds (6xSRM6 LBX20 anyone?), it's just Timberwolf fodder, like most other heavies.

On the other hand, it does have some good and fun builds, but it suffers from what I like to call the Dragon Syndrome.

Will likely end up with one with 5 medium lasers, 6 tons of SRM ammo, 6xSRM6, max torso armor and near max arm/leg armor and a bunch of heat sinks for when I'm feeling cheap. Others... Not sure yet, having an LBX20 is always fun so I'll probably figure out a build around that one that isn't 6xSRM6+LBX20, although I will admit that build is hilarious to hit somebody from behind point-blank with.

EDIT: Couple builds I've already tried: MDD-PRIME
6SRM6/LBX20

Also tried out a build with 4xSRM2 and 2xSRM4 (to avoid ghost heat firing all at once, 2 tons ammo between the two) with 2 ERLL and 2 LPL but it ran WAY too hot to actually be useable. Totally redid that one into a more standard 6xSRM4, 2ERLL and 2ERML with more heat sinks and ammo.

About to try 6xSRM6 and 5 medium lasers, expecting terrible things.

Sounds like an InnerSphere mech with at least 33% more weapons. I pity you.

#7 Tsig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

View Postterrycloth, on 25 September 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

I spectated one and watched him kill off the enemy team one after the other with SRM splat. That seems to be the obvious way to do something unique and impressive with them.

See, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with this or if you're just being obtuse. One of the Mad Dogs stock loadouts is 6 SRM6s...of course people are going to run it. SRMs are one of the hardest hitting brawler weapons in the game for its tonnage. Aside from the AC/20, the SRMs are king of the brawl.

How would you go about making a mech with 6 missile hardpoints "Unique"? Maybe cram 6 streak launchers in there...no, wait, those are just lock-on SRMs. That's not unique at all. Maybe LRMs? No, no, those are either brutally OP or so UP as to be worthless. How would you go about it, terry?

#8 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 25 September 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Why are you even comparing it to a Timber Wolf? It is a 60 ton mech vs a 75 ton mech. Of course the Timber Wolf is going to be superior. Instead you need to be comparing it to a Quickdraw, Catapult or Thunderbolt.

Because they're both heavy mechs and take the same slots in preformed groups and can just as easily be matched up against a Quickdraw as they can a Timberwolf? Why would I *not* be comparing them?

#9 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 25 September 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Because Timber Wolves are top dog right now. They are basically the standard for heavy mechs now. If you can't dish out as much damage as them, you are better off running a med, assault, or even a light.
Timber Wolves have a huge effect on the battle. when your team sees an enemy one, all fire focuses on that mech. When they see a friendly one, they hug it and follow it into battle. I've encouraged my teammates to stay and fight, by just walking into the skirmish. Mad dogs don't have that effect, so why run them when you could be running a Timber Wolf? The game puts both of them in the same slot.

If the match maker was based on tonnage rather than class of mech, then maybe you could justify running the Mad Dog.

#10 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostBrody319, on 25 September 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

If the match maker was based on tonnage rather than class of mech, then maybe you could justify running the Mad Dog.

After having played "THE" mad dog build, 6xSRM6 5xERML can nearly one-shot any assault from behind and it CAN one-shot heavies... from 25 meters. Other than that, it's meh. It's also as tall as, if not taller than an Awesome, and the cockpit is about even with the shoulders of an Atlas.

Edited by Kassatsu, 25 September 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

I believe what you meant to say is that it has the "opposite of the dragon syndrome" as in it has a tiny CT where a dragon has a massive CT.

#12 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 25 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

I believe what you meant to say is that it has the "opposite of the dragon syndrome" as in it has a tiny CT where a dragon has a massive CT.

Well, I meant it more as it's an underperformer outside of a few select builds (nearly all of them cheese builds)... Still better than the Summoner I guess.

#13 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

Ahh i see, thought you were reffering to hitboxes.

View PostKassatsu, on 25 September 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

They're decent direct fire support mechs, but they're no Timberwolf. I wouldn't even call them an acceptable brawler chassis either.

Oh and BTW I was thinking the same thing the whole time I was levelling them but now that I have it fully elited it is brawling very well. First game fully elited with 2 CERMLs, 2CSRM6s, and 1 LBX20 had 850 damage and 3 kills so its a good sign.

#14 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

I was in a rental spider, and encountered a maddog, I was about...maybe 160-180ish meters away,
I lasered him in the back-didn't think he knew where it was coming from, as he turned I hit him again with the lasers, and I started to move.
As I just got up to 60-70 kmh, I saw this ENORMOUS cloud of SRMS flying by..... he nailed me pretty good with a boat of lasers, but....then....shutdown and promptly got eaten alive by our heavies
Still, I would NOT want to take a face full of SRM's in a light

#15 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostKassatsu, on 25 September 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Why would a 60T heavy mech be as good in every way as a 75T heavy mech?

That makes no sense.

The Mad Dog has a niche, it does something the Timber Wolf can't.

I'll be looking forward to your threads that talk about the Cataphract, especially 3D, obsoleting pretty much every other IS heavy mech.

Or do we only care when a heavier mech is better than lighter mechs in it's weight class if that mech is called "Timber Wolf"?

#16 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

4x ERML, 2xLRM20 + 4xSRM6 seems to be doing reasonably well for me.

Need to try the 6xSRM6 build for giggles.
Maybe a big-ballistic build.

#17 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

To me, it's strange I'm not seeing people run it with the 6xLRM5+a config. LRM5's are deadly because they almost always hit center torso. Plus, they are super efficient in weight per damage, and don't waste missles like LRM 20's do. I ran a kitfox with 4xLRM5 and did very well, but haven't tried it in a Catapult. I suppose I should... But the catapult doesn't have 4xERML to back it up. :(

Try this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...270bf1d3be25cd9

Edited by Greenjulius, 25 September 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#18 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Ay, that's the other thing I need to try.

#19 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostOvion, on 25 September 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Ay, that's the other thing I need to try.

I had one 6xLRM5+a waste me while I was zipping around in a jenner. They seem effective...

#20 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 25 September 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Why would a 60T heavy mech be as good in every way as a 75T heavy mech?

That makes no sense.

The Mad Dog has a niche, it does something the Timber Wolf can't.

I'll be looking forward to your threads that talk about the Cataphract, especially 3D, obsoleting pretty much every other IS heavy mech.

Or do we only care when a heavier mech is better than lighter mechs in it's weight class if that mech is called "Timber Wolf"?

Weight has nothing to do with it. Timberwolf is a better mech, period. Is the Cataphract-3D a 75 tonner? No? It's better than an Orion? Okay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users