13 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

My working title for this game-mode is “Gauntlet”.

<<< Game Start >>> Normal drop-zone method.
- Game-play is executed in the normal fashion, be it assault, conquest, skirmish or the pending attack/defend. With the addition of mission goals issued at the start of a match. (one randomly to start and the next issued with completion of the first).

Examples:
- Capture base / Defend base
- Destroy command & control / defend command & control
- Destroy Artillery / Defend Artillery
- Destroy Munitions / Defend Munitions
- Hold designated point / Take designated point

- When a player is killed/dispatched, a new player is drawn from the player queue and is dropped into the match (Hot drop). During decent they are given the last active mission goal and it is their job to rendezvous with forces and become an active asset to achieving mission goal. (Total of 3 re-spawns per slot for a total of 72 potential participants).

Mission ends when all goals are achieved, time runs out (then team with most goals achieved) , or full drop-team (36) is dispatched.

This creates a beautiful protracted mission that has the potential of involving 72 different players that requires coordination and communication and the primary goal is to achieve goals not exclusively tied to dispatching the enemy team. (I.e. a linear outcome).

In short… I protracted engagement, with true / active mission goals that potentially can involve up to 72 players. :D

Thoughts?

#2 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

You said "gauntlet", and I started thinking of the movie "the Warriors".

Your group is dropped on a map, fight/run/sneak your way to an exit that is designated 5 minutes into the engagement, thence to the next board.

Your team does not repair, rearm, or reload.

You are faced with another fresh group to win your way past.

Go (3, or 4) successife maps and win! Be the opfor to end the run, that opfor wins!

I love your idea too, this is just what I tend to think of.

#3 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostDaZur, on 26 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

- Game-play is executed in the normal fashion, be it assault, conquest, skirmish or the pending attack/defend. With the addition of mission goals issued at the start of a match. (one randomly to start and the next issued with completion of the first).

Examples:

- When a player is killed/dispatched, a new player is drawn from the player queue and is dropped into the match (Hot drop). During decent they are given the last active mission goal and it is their job to rendezvous with forces and become an active asset to achieving mission goal. (Total of 3 re-spawns per slot for a total of 72 potential participants).

Mission ends when all goals are achieved, time runs out (then team with most goals achieved) , or full drop-team (36) is dispatched.

This creates a beautiful protracted mission that has the potential of involving 72 different players that requires coordination and communication and the primary goal is to achieve goals not exclusively tied to dispatching the enemy team. (I.e. a linear outcome).

In short… I protracted engagement, with true / active mission goals that potentially can involve up to 72 players. :D

Thoughts?

Love the concept... but is this a queue I need to be actively sitting in? Like.. I click launch... go make a pizza... eat it... come back 20 minutes and hope that it's now my turn to play? What if the first group completes all objectives?

Again I love the idea but it sounds like I'd be doing alot of sitting around instead of playing?

#4 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 26 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Love the concept... but is this a queue I need to be actively sitting in? Like.. I click launch... go make a pizza... eat it... come back 20 minutes and hope that it's now my turn to play? What if the first group completes all objectives?

Again I love the idea but it sounds like I'd be doing alot of sitting around instead of playing?

Nope...

It would be a direct pull from the active queue. So long as this "game mode" was selected, there would be a chance of being pulled into the Gauntlets hot-drop like any other open game-mode.

That said... If you only selected Gauntlet... then yes, you might have to ride the bench waiting for a drop possibility.

Edited by DaZur, 26 September 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

or you could just buy the new gauntlet game on steam and have way more fun.

#6 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostDaZur, on 26 September 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Nope...

It would be a direct pull from the active queue. So long as this "game mode" was selected, there would be a chance of being pulled into the Gauntlets hot-drop like any other open game-mode.

That said... If you only selected Gauntlet... then yes, you might have to ride the bench waiting for a drop possibility.

I see what you mean, so I wouldn't have to lock myself into this.. it would be a game mode like the others in the list. If I want to take part, I can wind up in one of these matches, otherwise I'd wind up in the normal Conquest/Assault/Cheese.. err... Skirmish queue as it were today.

Ok... that does pique my interest, then. :)

Edited by SI The Joker, 26 September 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#7 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

or you could just buy the new gauntlet game on steam and have way more fun.

Or you could add irrelevant snarky commentary to the discussion like a sour puss....amiright? :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 26 September 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#8 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

I'll hate to be dropped into this in the first wave without a chance to ever see the results (waiting for the end of engagement after being killed is definitely not an option, chances to survive are negligible, and feed of debriefing messages in the mechlab is still nonexistent, so results cannot be accessed after you left for mechlab).

#9 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

I actually thought this was going to be a 12 mechs spawn on 1 side in groups and like wise for other team, you walk through a maze and hope for the best.

#10 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostChristof Romulus, on 26 September 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Right now, if you enter a match - you are free to leave any time. But your MECH is locked into that match until match completion.

Yes, and this too, of course. And if the lock is removed for that mode, it will be crawling with suicide grinders.

#11 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Examples:

Thoughts?

Great concept, but with how the match system works in game would require some sort of overhaul.

Right now, if you enter a match - you are free to leave any time. But your MECH is locked into that match until match completion. In your gameplay mode how would that be handled? Personally I have so many mechs right now that I could definitely enjoy this kind of game mode, but new players don't have the mechs (or equipment) to afford to have it locked for as long as that particular match takes to complete.

How and when would rewards be distributed? Would those who completed the objectives get more than the people who were fighting to take them initially and died, only to be replaced?

#12 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostChristof Romulus, on 26 September 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Great concept, but with how the match system works in game would require some sort of overhaul.

Right now, if you enter a match - you are free to leave any time. But your MECH is locked into that match until match completion. In your gameplay mode how would that be handled? Personally I have so many mechs right now that I could definitely enjoy this kind of game mode, but new players don't have the mechs (or equipment) to afford to have it locked for as long as that particular match takes to complete.

How and when would rewards be distributed? Would those who completed the objectives get more than the people who were fighting to take them initially and died, only to be replaced?

Good question...

Rewards: How about you exit the match with the net sum of remittance that was earned while you were alive and contributing? Absolutely, payout would definitely need to be massaged but this would also contribute to fostering individual desire to last as long as possible as well as contribute to the greater goals than just the myopic goal of self-elevation...

Mech-lock: Yeah, I don't have an answer for this that would make anyone happy. I'm not a speed-grinder so I guess I fail at context... If/when I get waxed early, I automatically grab my next available mech and get back at it... I'm typically not particularly bummed that my favorite ride is locked as a I have several favorites. ^_^

I guess the best answer to this is the understanding of cost benefit... The overall net profit potential for this kind of protracted mission should in some way negate the harsh reality that if you get killed early on your mech might get hung for some time.

The other far more eloquent solution is a timed unlock... I.e. Regardless of ones contribution time, the dispatched players mech unlocks 5 min post exit or the match ends... which ever comes first. ;)

Edited by DaZur, 26 September 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#13 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Examples:

Thoughts?

Great idea, I could see this being a LOT of fun. I think there would need to be a lot of work done to the UI and other aspects for this to work properly. I personally love to spectate but I would also love to re-queue in hopes of getting back into the match. The UI has so much potential for in-game information that we could have access to. I hope this is on their list of improvements/ideas for the future.

#14 Spike Wallace

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

I haven't read through every post so I'm not sure if this has come up. What if it is 12 players who select 3 or 4 mechs to drop with. When you get die you go back to the drop ship and select one of your 3 remaining mechs? Maybe drop it to 6v6 or even 4v4 with 4 mechs per person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users