36 replies to this topic

#21 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

I don't know why people expect it to be anything but the Clans equivalent to the Dragon. 60 ton, giant schnoz, rather large and no faster than a Madcat.

Not exactly the greatest recipe for success.

#22 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 26 September 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

One of the stock loadouts is a load of SRMs, so it's not "always a long range support mech". Mad dog A stock is 6 SRM6s.

... ah. I probably should have noticed that. Ignore me then. :P

#23 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:09 AM

My guess is none of these MDD pilots complaining about it's squishiness has played a dragon. Also most of the MDDs are brawlers... trying to 1v1 other mechs. Most of whom are bigger or faster. In both cases it's not optimial engagements.

#24 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

It is crazy that 90% of MDD "pilots" treat it as brawler

Unbelievable that they still believe MDD 6srm6 is OP :D

#25 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Glsss Cannon - Working as intended.

#26 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

It's a 60 ton mech. It's exactly as sturdy as a 60 ton mech ought to be

I've been popping MDD's left and right, and it's always because the pilot seems to think he's invincible. The Timberwolf is 75t; there's a reason it's a lot sturdier. 15t is a huge gap.

As a long time Dragon pilot, all I can say is "Learn to play!"

The MDD is, configured with SRM's, a striker not a brawler. You go in fast, hit hard, then get out, you don't try to facetank larger mechs. Play it like a Dragon; like a Dragon that can drop a 100pt alpha. If you want to brawl with a MDD, you're best off doing it with other mediums - which is basically what you're piloting.

#27 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

The Mad Dog (or as the Barbarian call it "Vulture") was always a Support Mech, not designed to be strong and having immense firepower like some other mech.

Sometime, I call it the "Poor's Man Timber Wolf".
It can do a lot of similare loadout, share some component, but is in no way has resilient, wans wasn't mean to be.

#28 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

The side torso seems to be very large. I'm not sure what the hitboxes look like but I'm finding I spread damage better by staring at people. Might need a hitbox pass on the mech but its one of those that has such an odd geometry that it may always be an issue.

Edited by Rouken, 27 September 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#29 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostRouken, on 27 September 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

The side torso seems to be very large. I'm not sure what the hitboxes look like but I'm finding I spread damage better by staring at people. Might need a hitbox pass on the mech but its one of those that has such an odd geometry that it may always be an issue.

You want the side torso's large; keeps the CT small. You can afford to lose one ST after all.

If the ST's where smaller, it would have to come off the sides of the nose, making them CT. If that happened, it'd be like a pre-hitbox change Dragon, where people would CT core you from the side.

#30 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 27 September 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

You want the side torso's large; keeps the CT small. You can afford to lose one ST after all.

If the ST's where smaller, it would have to come off the sides of the nose, making them CT. If that happened, it'd be like a pre-hitbox change Dragon, where people would CT core you from the side.

No, you want to be able to spread damage. Its better to wear down all the sections at a similar rate and keep all your weapons than to give up half to protect the other half. Even more important once Clan XL penalties arrive.

#31 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostRouken, on 27 September 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

No, you want to be able to spread damage. Its better to wear down all the sections at a similar rate and keep all your weapons than to give up half to protect the other half. Even more important once Clan XL penalties arrive.

Sure, but that applies to more "flat fronted" mechs. The issue with the Mad Dog form factor - similar to the Dragon - is that unless you live in low-elo land, you won't be spreading a lot of damage because the Center Torso would be targetable from any direction. You need the sides of the "Snout" to be Side Torso not Center Torso. Otherwise, the mech becomes absolutely garbage vs. any pilot who can aim.

You want it this way so that you CAN spread damage, rather than just taking it all on your CT.

Edited by Wintersdark, 27 September 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#32 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

Mad Dog is a difficult mech to front line with. Dangerous enough to be a priority target, light enough to crumple from one or two volleys of focused fire. The arms also don't do much of a job of soaking damage for the side torsos.

It probably does best as 6xALRM5 support. I've tried it as 6xSRM6 or as 6xSSRM6, and you have an insanely high alpha that way, but overheat like a b****.

Best advice, I think, is to take its Inner Sphere name to heart: Vulture. Look for targets of opportunity, finish off the wounded. You don't want to be the one jumping in and starting the fight, but you have plenty of ability to end it.

#33 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 27 September 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

You want it this way so that you CAN spread damage, rather than just taking it all on your CT.

Adjusting the hitboxes doesn't take it from Stalker to Dragon instantly. Currently being able to take some damage to the CT would improve the Mad Dog.

#34 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

At 60 tons, the Mad Dog barely qualifies as a heavy 'mech. In fact, I usually consider it a medium 'mech. If the Stormcrow moved at the same speed as a Mad Dog with the same amount of armor points as a stock Mad Dog, and 2 hard-wired double heatsinks, it would only have a half-ton less pod space than the Mad Dog!

I think it's fine as it is. I just play it more like a medium 'mech than a heavy 'mech, because that's what it really is.

Just wait until we get the Hellbringer. I wager its side torsos will also be huge. And for those of you who run your omnis at stock armor like I do, be prepared to live fast and die young! Well, with the Mad Dog and Hellbringer, with their weapon payloads, the other guy should be hurting a lot before you're scrapped!

There's your immersion, for that is the real Clan mentality! Go down gloriously while you make the poor opponents do the same!

Edited by TELEFORCE, 27 September 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#35 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I haven't had any issue with it, but then I went from mostly piloting stormcrows to piloting the mad dog, which isn't exactly a big leap. Used wisely, it's incredibly tanky - as far as I can tell, it's impossible to hit the CT from the side, which is pretty fantastic.

I have noticed a lot of people death staring with it, which is a bad idea unless you're in a DWF, and a fair number of people who don't seem to have modified the stock armor - or who strip armor on the pretense that 3ERML, 6SRM6, and an LB20X is in any way a good build.

View PostRouken, on 27 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Adjusting the hitboxes doesn't take it from Stalker to Dragon instantly. Currently being able to take some damage to the CT would improve the Mad Dog.

If they're gonna tweak the hitboxes, I'd prefer that they transfer some of the shoulder to the arm to them transferring ANY of the ST to the CT - but I'm not sure it needs an adjustment. It feels pretty decent to me.

#36 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 26 September 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

100+ pt alpha's. It is a glass cannon.

Timberwolf + Maddog = dynamic duo...

TBR can tank and drop tons of damage.. while in its shadow a Maddog can add so much damage it is crazy!

#37 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Mad dogs are delicious. I find it kinda funny, from the front they look like a hotdog, and their name is sounds like a brand of hotdogs. I think it could use a small armor value boost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users