Something Just Occurred To Me Why Are We Never Satisfied With Mwo?

General

25 replies to this topic

#21 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

It is what it could be that makes me angry at times.

#22 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostTangelis, on 27 September 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

Personally I think it is because by today's standards in anything competitive society awards a trophy for spelling your own name n we've gotten used to it.

Im not taking a shot at anyone I've just been gaming a very long time and in truth the games of old were far more punishing for failure compared to today. Awards were not easily achieved and there was certainly a lot that was left in the players hands to figure out on their own.

Today for my part I find most games to be a spoonfed experience with a map and a compass pointed at "X" and if all else fails there is a "take me there now" button or "pay to finish".

Simply put we have replaced "Man this is hard but fun, let's figure this out" with "This is unfair, do it for me" and on a personal level I don't like that at all..... but it doesn't mean I'm right.

There are others who feel as I do and those who don't but considering the range of any modern player base where every bracket has a very different idea of what is balance or challenge or a grind etc...based on their past experiences we end up with what you see today. A variety of mixed opinions and an impossible task of satisfying everyones vision equally. There is actually nothing to say that any bracket is right or wrong...things have changed from my day for example and I need to adapt rather than complain. As a result however the community as a whole is never happy because we all see things with an individual mind and experience.

NAIL ON THE HEAD

This exactly. Elo is the first of many issues. In the attempt to make everyone equal they created a monster.

As has been demonstrated on many occasions, those playing at different ELO brackets tend to have a much different game play experience depending on bracket.

At the very lowest brackets LRMs spam dominates because it doesn't don't require much skill to spam them compounded by the fact that low skill players don't have the piloting skills to avoid them. On the other side, the super high end game sees jump sniping and direct PPD being the end all be all but this is unfortunately something that low skill players can't employ properly. Then in the middle, neither LRM spaming or poptarting is much of an issue because players are skilled enough to avoid LRMs while not being skilled enough to really make poptarting viable. Now obviously this is a generalization but it illustrates the point that instead of PGI just having one game to balance, they have 5-6 games to balance because each ELO bracket needs its own balance to work correctly.

Now of course, this leads to major problems because if you modify balance in one ELO, it throws of another. JJs for example. Maybe at the highest ELO they needed to be changed to what they are right now but doing so drastically changed the game for the worst for 80% of the other players who weren't experiencing any issues with how they were previously. Again, a generalization but I am sure you understand my meaning.

So yeah it is not hard to see why we have so much discontent in the ranks.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 27 September 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#23 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

It's a continual thing because everyone is chasing the elusive snark - and the snark is elusive because nobody knows what it *is* ... nobody knows what it looks like, where it lives, what it eats, or where it hangs out... in fact, they don't even know if it exists! Nobody can say ANYTHING for sure about the snark... with only ONE exception ... THEY WANT TO CATCH IT!

Heck, we can't even agree on what a mechwarrior game is, even though that is a totally knowable and quantifiable thing. If we can't agree on that, how can we agree on other things!??!

#24 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

because it does not live up to our childhood expectation in 2014
during a time when games have epic graphics, epic destructible terrain, epic battles, epic community, epic communication, multiple epic battle fronts, epic resource struggle (cw), epic sound effects, epic lore (which it does but is not used), epic sense of scale, epic UI, epic balancing etc.

we have heard of all the great tales of other developer doing great things and though we know they are few, we expect this company to preform to those levels of greatness because we hold them in that high esteem.

:)

#25 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Two reasons ...

1) Those who are most dis-satisfied are the most vocal. You mostly hear the yells from the ones who are unhappy. There aren't that many posts by the folks who think things are pretty good but need tweaks here and there.

2) Everyone has different standards, priorities and preferences. This means that something I consider minor is a major irritant to someone else. Something I think is decently balanced is wildly unbalanced to someone else.

#26 duragan

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

You are missing the big picture people will always have gripes about a game so you don't give them fuel pgi has talked about quite a few things they never got finished when people wait for something that they are excited for excited turns into anger or gripes. Blizzard learned this lesson with Diablo 3 they talked about t off and on for years showed people one thing gave them another this turned the community against them. You can blame the players but it's really not there fault. If you don't have a feature figured out or finished do not even let yeh community know about it yet. Saves a ton of problems. Also as of late a lot of the anger hasn't been about the changes but the lack of testing. Great example if you tested te clan weapons and made the recent changes internally before the public saw them we would not have even known issue fixed I know changes need to be made and not all an be seen but that many and that big of changes should have been caught before we had our hands on them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users