Cof/unpredictable Randomness As A Fix For High Alphas/spike Damage? Who Needs It?!?

161 replies to this topic

#161 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 05 October 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

I live how pht just ignores protomechs, the clans, and manei domini.

Well, who can blame him - of those three, only the Clans are present in MWO. Neither ProtoMechs or the CyberPunk wannabe Manei Domini have any relevance to how a BattleMech works.

Neural engineering [...] Its principal application is the "neurohelmet"

Neurohelmet, not implants. Helmet. Electrodes outside the skull. Alpha-waves. Non-invasive. Put on, take off, no scars. No "jacking in".

Enhanced Imaging (EI) technology developed by the Clans uses a subdermal skein of wiring to grant better control over a machine.

And as we've established before, EI is for proto-mechs only (and damn dangerous to the poor sod getting them).

Direct Neural Interface (DNI) [...] potential for serious neurological damage [...] prevented the technology from advancing beyond the prototype stage

Not until the Jihad will you see anything remotely resembling a stable DNI. That's about 17 years down the line, at minimum. And even then, only for vehicles; not 'Mechs.

Other applications of bionics range from prosthetic limbs [...] to elective implants intended to improve strength or enhance the senses.

...and are really only relevant to CBT:RPG campaigns; none of them really affect your capabilities as a MechWarrior.

Edited by stjobe, 05 October 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#162 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

I live how pht just ignores protomechs, the clans, and manei domini.

Actually, I already knew about those things.

Protomechs: Aren't 'mechs. They're clan only; the IS cannot replicate them, and there are no 'mechs with anything like similar cockpits.

Clans - the EI implants aren't widely used in the clans. They are only used in the clans by the most extreme (possibly insane to start with) clan warriors. They require drug usage to offset their side effects; they cause psychosis, and early death. The IS has no such setup. Oh, and when a proto takes damage, it's pilot takes damage equivalent to what a pilot in a normal mech takes in an ammo explosion.

The toaster-worshipping morons - yeah, they're morons. Freaks. The VDNI, based off of kale burke's earlier DNI is a setup that exists (which, again, I didn't argue with). Again, drug use, psychosis, horrible megalomania, early death, and you have to be a wob cyborg just to get one. They're nothing like common at all. They are, at best, on the bleedinge edge of extremely rare, even while the WOB is in full force. When the internals of a VDNI equipped unit takes damage, it's pilot takes ammo-explosion type damage.

The earlier DNI setup was only used on one mech and was literally invented by a mad scientist who was kicked out of the nais; kale burke. He wound up using it in a franken-mech on solaris. Again, psychosis, megalomania, drug usage with horrible side effects, early death, and pilot took damage whenever *the mech got hit anywhere,* not just its internals. Again, only ever used on ONE mech; promethius. Never again replicated. Even the WOB version isn't as extreme.

About the other 99.99999% of all battlemechs ever made:

cray said:

Quote[indent]For example, are the Tech Manual "fluff" descriptions of how a BattleMech's targeting and tracking system and diagnostic interface do the grunt work of aiming 'Mech weaponry something that novelists and other writers would have to adhere to? Or can such "fluff" be ignored at will by novelists to provide their versions of how BattleMech's perform and behave?[/indent]

That fluff of Tech Manual would be adhered to by default. I can and have pointed out mistakes in control descriptions in BattleCorps stories and referred the author to the Tech Manual for the correct descriptions. (Not directly - such continuity commentary is subject to editorial / line developer oversight. See point 5, above.) As it stands, Tech Manual has the current descriptions of how BattleMech weaponry and movement is controlled and writers stick to that.

Cray = mike miller = author of the TM article being discussed, and TM in no way has the NH interface "jacking pilots in," piloting, or doing aiming with the neurohelmet.

In fact, it specifically says otherwise.

Direct quote:

"Controls
Configurability aside, the controls for a machine as complicated as a BattleMech are actually surprisingly simple. And I’ll say it now: it’s not because the MechWarrior links directly with the BattleMech through the neurohelmet. Leave that notion to the cheap holovids. No, this simplicity is because the BattleMech itself does most of the work. I’ll explain that when I tie all these components together."

Edited by Pht, 07 October 2014 - 09:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users