Why Does Match Maker Map Selection Suck?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

I am Clown and I like to rage about problems and one of the problems I seem to have is why is the maps I continue to get are the same old maps OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!?

For example I can name 4 maps that I know are the most often maps I seem to find myself playing on.
  • Terra Therma
  • Caustic Valley
  • Frozen City
  • and then it is a tie between Tourmaline, Alpine, River City, and Forest Colony

Even though they came out with the best map in the game Mining Collective I can only say to have played on it 3 times. With that alone bugging me Crimson Straights another decent map, not great like Mining Collective is also a hit or miss map to get.

Another issue I have is the run of the same map literally the same in a row 4 or 5 times ... that's an hour of playing the same map. Why does this happen do they not have a balanced map system in rotation? Why do some of the crappier maps have a higher weighted count then the newer?

Just my two cents and whats yours?

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

But it wouldn't be as enjoyable when you get it, if you just played on that map. I see a variety of maps. I do get the occasional map spree. (played colony like 6 times in a row, was horrible) but I think its fine. I also think its random, so you are just as likely to get a map you want, as you are to get a map you played a few minutes ago. Mathematically speaking a random system will have chains of matching numbers in a row.

#3 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Look at your stats and I'll bet you'll see you don't have any maps that are significantly more frequent than the others, with the obvious exception of the new map. Remember that the small maps have twins and the combination is considered one for the match maker (Forest Colony, Frozen City, River City, and their alts).

The reason you see maps repeats occur is because random numbers are random, or at least as random as a computer can make them. Thus just like rolling a die you can see the same number show up in streaks.

#4 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 27 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Look at your stats and I'll bet you'll see you don't have any maps that are significantly more frequent than the others,

I do actually, I have considerably more Alpine Peaks than any other map, Like a 10% difference.

#5 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

One of the best parts of this game is you will never know what map you will get next......and the opponents vary.

Play every map you're dropped on and kick some a$$.

#6 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Imo, it's not random at all.

Currently I have 241 matches in Mordor, 257 in Manifod, and 111 in forest colony/98 in forest colony snow/102 in river city.

Not a problem, but I wonder why PGI wants to run those maps insted of offering a random run....

#7 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

confirmation bias.

You remember getting crappy maps that you don't like, over and over again, and forget about the times you don't get them.

That's really all there is to it.

#8 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 27 September 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I do actually, I have considerably more Alpine Peaks than any other map, Like a 10% difference.

Which probably is one, but maybe two, standard deviations from average - AKA it's still within the expected range.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 27 September 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#9 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 27 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Thus just like rolling a die you can see the same number show up in streaks.

Nothin better than when a Craps table is on a heater ;)

#10 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'm also disappointed how often the new map comes up. I thought they upped the chance for it but I've seen it 3 times from over 20+ games.

#11 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 27 September 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Imo, it's not random at all.

Currently I have 241 matches in Mordor, 257 in Manifod, and 111 in forest colony/98 in forest colony snow/102 in river city.

Not a problem, but I wonder why PGI wants to run those maps insted of offering a random run....

Random /= equal amounts of time a match is chosen. ;)

#12 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

I just looked at my stats, taking archived and current Tourmaline leads still by over 100 matches.

And with the frequency of Terra Therma it seems as if it is replacing Tourmaline as my most frequent even though it is my most hated map.

Edited by clownwarlord, 28 September 2014 - 03:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users