Thoughts On Selling Mechs

29 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

I keep seeing people commenting that they sell mechs to build up their C-Bill balance. Really? Hard to fathom for me. I'm working to level up my Masakari Clan pack and get plenty of C-Bills just from regular matches. I seldom fall below 10 million.

One thing I do that others might not is that once I get all three variants of a chassis up through basic skills I strip two and only keep the prime configured. I Elite up the prime and move on. That way the prime - with all its' additional bonuses, is fully elite and configured the way I like that chassis best for future use. This also keeps my inventory of weapons and equipment pretty full. Perhaps that's one reason I don't run low on C-Bills.

The only reason I could think of that one might want to sell mechs is if they had no other option to free up mech bays for new purchases. I could see the sense in that, but selling a mech is such a ripoff I can't see any other justification for it. I've only ever sold two mechs and every once in a while I consider buying them back. I find it's a fun change of pace after a few bad matches to just switch to a completely different mech and play a different style for a few matches.

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Mech Bay limits. Bad variants. Hate the chassis. Plenty of reasons to sell a mech.

You won't find many players who kept their Spider 5V after they leveled it up (Probably the worst mech in the game hardpoint wise. The locust can carry better firepower). I sold the locusts I had from the phoenix package because I just didn't like them, as well as a few other mechs when I was running out of mechbay space. For folks who only have 4 bays, you need to maximize them as best you can as well, so selling a mech becomes a must.

Now, I generally suggest you hold off. I've sold several mechs, only really regret 1-3 of them (Sold the Stalker 5S in a bay crunch, the Thunderbolt 9SE and 9S because I wasn't playing them, regret the stalker now that I have bays, I occasionally regret the T-Bolts, but don't feel too bad about them), but it really does depend on the situation.

Clan mechs? There's rarely a reason to own all 3 unless you want 3 different pre-made builds, or the CTs are all different (One clan mech has this)

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would rather just buy new mechbays rather than sell a mech. They are pretty cheap. Plus they give out lots of free mechbays. I'd say only sell a mech if its absolute garbage.

#4 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well some variants are just plain pointless, like the Jenner-K that is simply a downgrade compared to other variants. Just looking at it in my mechbay is an insult, selling it was the only logical conclusion. Oh yeah and that one Awesome I bought before I knew better.

Edited by Torgun, 28 September 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#5 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Soon as i get the chassis to elite i sell except primes, no need to keep clan variants once elited. This is for clanner's though.

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostJackpoint, on 28 September 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Soon as i get the chassis to elite i sell except primes, no need to keep clan variants once elited. This is for clanner's though.

The ones with unique CTs?

#7 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

yup I sell em al cept primes once elited.

#8 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

I haven't sold any of my mechs purchased with MC or any of my preorders. I have sold off 6 or so c-bill mechs, because I didn't use them anymore and didn't want to buy more mechbays at the time. Yep, if I don't like the chassis and have elited the primary variant I wanted, the rest are free to go.

Catapult C-1
Jagermech A
Hunchback 4SP (kinda wish I kept it)
Cicada 2A
Centurion A & D

The Jag A was bought to elite my Firebrand, Jag S is close to being sold off. Cents to elite my Yen Lo, Cicada to elite my 3M, will probably sell of my X5. No need or compulsion to pilot them anymore.

Hunchback and Catapult were my first mechs purchased when I started, the Hunchy was sold before the SRM update, stings a bit still, but oh well.

I'd love to see a player driven market, but that would be a nightmare to manage on PGI's part and would cut into MC sales.

#9 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

i still have my shotgun cat K2, its too damn good to sell :)

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostEnlil09, on 28 September 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

I keep seeing people commenting that they sell mechs to build up their C-Bill balance. Really? Hard to fathom for me. I'm working to level up my Masakari Clan pack and get plenty of C-Bills just from regular matches. I seldom fall below 10 million.

One thing I do that others might not is that once I get all three variants of a chassis up through basic skills I strip two and only keep the prime configured. I Elite up the prime and move on. That way the prime - with all its' additional bonuses, is fully elite and configured the way I like that chassis best for future use. This also keeps my inventory of weapons and equipment pretty full. Perhaps that's one reason I don't run low on C-Bills.

The only reason I could think of that one might want to sell mechs is if they had no other option to free up mech bays for new purchases. I could see the sense in that, but selling a mech is such a ripoff I can't see any other justification for it. I've only ever sold two mechs and every once in a while I consider buying them back. I find it's a fun change of pace after a few bad matches to just switch to a completely different mech and play a different style for a few matches.

Really it comes down to how much your going to play a mech verse how much is it going to cost for other things you need.

First issue is that 10 million isn't squat in this game. I just dropped 60 million on a set of Dire Wolves plus outfitting costs. It took more over a month of playing to get that 60 million. I ala carted my Timber and Storm but I am going to want to get me a set of War Hawks and that will be another 60 million that will take me at least 5-6 weeks of playing to earn.

Or

Since I am so far not a big fan of the Direwolf, I can sell 2 of the 3 variants, keeping only my best build and a few omnipods for if I want to change things up and now I have 15 million C-bills less I will need to earn to buy my War Hawks.

Also lets be honest here. The only reason most people buy 3 of everything is because you have to in order to unlock your skills. Rarely would any of us chose to buy 3 of the same mech if we had a choice. Sure sometimes more than one variant is good but most of the time not.

#11 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

I never sell mechs. I see no reason to sell a mech. You can get 4 mech bays for 7 dollars even with the cheapest MC package and they give more out from challenges and such. For 7 dollars I can buy a fast food meal or I can go to the store and buy some food to make lunches, skip two lunches out and afford 4 mech bays and probably eat healthier.

#12 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

I haven't sold a 'Mech since Open Beta, just easier to buy more 'Mech Bays and too little return for selling 'Mechs.

#13 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Mechbays shortage or a redundant variant (I'm looking at you SDR-5V).

#14 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

I only sell mechs I have no use for (Jenner k...). Right now I'm debating selling my K2 I got on sale. Jagermechs are superior in almost every way, but I know the second I click sell, the 11 slot LBX20 or Heavy Gauss will be introduced.

Edited by Choppah, 28 September 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#15 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

A few IS mechs had a quirk pass making them much more viable again, the major pass is coming soon, and I fully expect PGI will at some future point do the same to give the clan variants different (meaning that the primes won't always be the most desirable ones) characteristics. You never know how the balance will shift or quirks will alter variants or what kind of (when it arrives fully) restrictions CW will have for faction play.

The second you start re-buying things you've shortsightedly sold, you're putting yourself farther and farther behind.

I could be wrong, but I I think its a safe bet that we'll see threads full of sellers crying about the costs of re-buying mechs because all of a sudden quirks or CW requirements make a lot of those mechs desirable again. My best guess is that the moaning will start in a matter of weeks and by the latest hit fever pitch by sometime in January/February.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Going through 30 mechs that I own + trial mechs, to find the one I wish to pilot is already a chore. I do not foresee myself hoarding too many mechs to make my inventory look more crowded than it is currently. Especially with Clan mechs.

I HATE SCROLLING UP AND DOWN.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 September 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#17 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

I currently own 39 mechs and 45 mech bays and I've easily sold that many mechs since I started playing in beta. I see no point in holding onto mechs that I have no interest in using. Once I've unlocked basic and sometimes elite skills on a chassis I choose which variant(s) I'm going to use and sell the rest off.

I'm not about to be wasting real money on mech bays to hold onto junk because I'm losing imaginary money by selling them.

#18 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well for those of us who are about to get a bunch of free mechs from the anniversary thing, all of a sudden I am going to have three whole new chassis to deal with (King Crab, Atlas, Centurion) that will cost probably 50-60 million c-bills to buy and finish off. Plus since the omnipod system makes varaints mostly pointless on clan mechs, and we now know how the dropship mode is going to work, theres not much reason not to sell a few non-prime clan mechs as long as you rip most of the pods off the other variants first. Theres no way I can build up 60 million c-bills in an acceptable amount of time plus all the stupid modules I need, multiple copies of them in fact since the UI is such a ballache for finding and switching modules.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 28 September 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#19 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

pgi loves it when you sell your stuff because they know you will just buy more then, and 5 bucks for a mech bay is a rip off to the extreme. At the most it should be a buck but I dont feel it should cost anything you going to buy a 35 dollar mech you shouldn't have to additionally buy a mech bay...man I miss those days where you wouldn't have to spend anymore money on small things like this, games used to be complete or mostly complete back in the day. I'm having a hard time staying in the gaming world these days everything is a money grab, Destiny turned out to be a blatant money grab with a lifeless game in which you will need to purchase the dlc that they originally planned on having in teh game but took it out so they can make more money...yet another legendary developer that has hit the bottom on my list.

#20 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

I used to sell mechs to free up sots and still do, if they suck and I know I wont play them again. Now with the free bays I have been getting I am waiting to see how CW is implemented. If 1/1/1/1, I will sell the ones I don't like again. However, if I can take the same mech twice then I wont sell my clan mech extras, hell I will even buy more pods (though my corp is starting in IS). However, if I ever get all the Banshees to basic I will sell 2 at least.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users