12 replies to this topic

#1 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Is there any way to check your latency without getting into a match? Is an ICMP ping to www.mwomercs.com a reasonable test, or is the webservers someplace separate from the game servers?

I'm finding I can't successfully play light mechs when my ping is over about 60ms (making my Spiders useless after I moved from Massachusetts to Texas), and with the 100ms times I'm seeing tonight I can't even get hits to register against light mechs ("lagshield") at all, even with 1.2s clan lasers.

I just want to find out if the match is going to be playable before I drop. If I'm going to be seeing latency like tonight, **** it I'll go find something else to play.

Edited by Kadix, 28 September 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

The game server recently moved to Montreal, Canada (from Toronto, Canada). I think the website is actually on the same server now, but don't quote me on that.

If you compare your ping in-game to running a ping to the website, do you see any correlation?

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

I have been unable to find an IP address or domain name to ping to the game servers, pinging www.mwomercs.com gets you a ping time to the website not the game servers.

The lowest ping I have ever had is 98 (from the UK), I play mostly lights and usualy have 100-130 ping, although I do frequently miss when the shot looked like it should have hit (not just against lights, I have this problem with all weight classes) and I had always wondered if it was bad laser hitreg caused by ping (Balistic and SRM hitreg seems good)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 29 September 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#4 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

should be 192.99.109.129

i opened my portviewer tool and this ip shows the same latency as i have in game

edit:

unfortunately my ping is, again, somewhere in the 130s... after one of the recent server/network patches it dropped down to like 112-118 but not higher than that.... this is gone and i'm back to my 136 ping most of the time ://

Edited by Thrudvangar, 29 September 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostKadix, on 28 September 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

I'm finding I can't successfully play light mechs when my ping is over about 60ms (making my Spiders useless after I moved from Massachusetts to Texas), and with the 100ms times I'm seeing tonight I can't even get hits to register against light mechs ("lagshield") at all, even with 1.2s clan lasers.

You might want to apply for a slot in this league then.

http://mwomercs.com/...pingers-league/

You are absolutely corerct. Playing witha ping over 60 is absolutely attrocious and it is completely impossible to hit anything... ever... with such an astronomically high ping.

#6 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:48 AM

Everyone always complaining about pings less than 130.....

Come to Australia then you can have a real reason to cry.

250ms is my best ever and I shoot things with lights and especially locusts just fine and yes they get hit alot too.

#7 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

I'd say that playing Lights at 100ms isn't difficult. The hit detection problem you are having is exactly that: laser hit detection. They're working on it.

Edit: snark removal

Edited by Arnold J Rimmer, 29 September 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#8 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostThrudvangar, on 29 September 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

should be 192.99.109.129

i opened my portviewer tool and this ip shows the same latency as i have in game

edit:

unfortunately my ping is, again, somewhere in the 130s... after one of the recent server/network patches it dropped down to like 112-118 but not higher than that.... this is gone and i'm back to my 136 ping most of the time ://

Thanks for the IP.

#9 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 29 September 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

The lowest ping I have ever had is 98 (from the UK), I play mostly lights and usualy have 100-130 ping, although I do frequently miss when the shot looked like it should have hit (not just against lights, I have this problem with all weight classes) and I had always wondered if it was bad laser hitreg caused by ping (Balistic and SRM hitreg seems good)

I can confirm the problem your having with lasers isn't experienced by those closer to the servers.

Which is kinda bullshit. The proper way to run something that needs to be low-latency is to setup multiple datacenters in different geos and add locality to part of the matchmaking. Cross-geo latency is a physics problem and you can't move packets faster than 'c'. Every MMO game I've played, going back to Ultima Online in the late 90s, had servers in multiple geos to deal with latency.

The product I work (b2b) on setup servers in Virginia (east cost US), Netherlands, and Japan to solve latency issues, and I think our operations team is planning to setup at at least two more datacenters, and that product is nowhere near as latency sensitive as a game like MWO is.

Edited by Kadix, 29 September 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

That sounds expensive. I bet your company has a bigger staff, bigger profit margin, bigger everything than PGI.

A lot of video games, if they do have multiple servers, tend to partition players to one region or another. An international server was discussed years ago but never got off the ground.

#11 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:05 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 29 September 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

That sounds expensive. I bet your company has a bigger staff, bigger profit margin, bigger everything than PGI.

A lot of video games, if they do have multiple servers, tend to partition players to one region or another. An international server was discussed years ago but never got off the ground.

You'd loose that bet.

#12 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostKadix, on 28 September 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

OP

If you're using windows, use the search function to search for "cmd", the command prompt should be at the top of the list under that name ( the icon is a black window with "C:\__" written in it ) , open it and type "ping mwomercs.com", then press enter and it'll give you your latency.
If you want routing information to go with that type "tracert mwomercs.com" instead, this will take a bit longer to complete though.
As far as I can tell it's reasonably accurate, actually playing causes some additional latency but it's a good indication.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 30 September 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#13 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

Haha, all this talk of sub 100 pings being terrible.

Reminds me of the time I was playing Gears of War, where games were peer-to-peer hosted.
6 Aussie vs 6 yanks.
Round one they're hosting and ended up winning by a close margin.
Round two and the server picks an Australian to host. We wipe the floor with them in a clean sweep.
They raged quit straight after.

250ms ping is just a way of life here Down Under

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users