Light Mech Choice

Help Me Question

39 replies to this topic

#21 BattleTec

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Bought the D2, put ervything in and it went horrible... the XL 195 isn't enough to outrun other light mechs and i lack the firepower to fight them. I'm gone leave it for now and go back to my other account with my shadow hawks i guess...

#22 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

Don't worry about out running lights in a COM-2D.

The problem is due to tonnage limit and the weight of missile weapons and ECM it adds up and I would have recommended using the XL 170 to pack more onto your Commando.

But with your XL195 you can try these out: 3xSSRM 2 MPL or ERLL 2xSRM 2

ECM helps but it can be a crutch, so be careful of developing bad habits with it. And generally it's better to stay with the group in the 2D than to go off on your own, which is easier to do in a Spider 5D since it can equip a bigger engine and has Jump Jets.

#23 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

I actually run 3 streaks, mlas and tag in my 2D. The tag can really get some serious xp for you.

#24 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

How to you fit that with only one Energy hardpoint?

#25 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

Mailin mst have an excellent mech tech in his employ. ;)

#26 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Oops. I go back and forth between tag and mlas. Sorry about that.

#27 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

COM-2D is the first mech, and only light, that I have gotten 7 kills with. 3 SSRM2's and 1 MLas. Scout at the beginning of the match, provide ECM cover to a group of other lights, try to find isolated heavies or assaults, get behind people and go for their weak back armor.

Edited by Ertur, 06 October 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#28 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostBattleTec, on 03 October 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

I'm having trouble deciding what light mech to choice. I personally like fast (+120kph), small mechs prefferably with ecm.

Jenner looks nice with the speed & small posture but no ecm variant (?).

Any help would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Jenner is considered one of the best light mechs in the game. As you also note it doesn't have ecm. So if you must stick with the ecm hard point then you have only a commando, raven, and spider ... you could also go with cicada as well but that is a medium mech.

#29 Xelah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 03 October 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

I am going to recommend the Commando to you. It can have the hitting power of a Jenner, and is extremely nimble. I run both Commandos and Spiders, and while the Spider has the advantage of jumping, it does not do strafing runs very well (unless you are proficient with PPC shots). The commando can unload a 20pt alpha of missiles and run away before the enemy even realizes what is happening. Spiders are either stand-off PPC/Laser snipers, or close-in circling gadflies.

I'm gonna have to second this. Commandos were my first love. They pack enough firepower to be a serious threat to anything and are nimble to boot. There is an ECM variant, but I wouldn't go with that one for your first. Once you master commando tactics and can deal with the speed penalty you're going to take for loading the ECM, then get this one.

Spiders... they're really not for new pilots. I love my spiders now, but man I hated them when I bought the first one. It took me forever to get the feel for when to engage and when to stay hidden. They have crappy firepower and their armor isn't worth mentioning. If you buy one of these... be ready for one hell of a learning curve. . . If you master them though, may the battletech gods have mercy on your enemies.

#30 Xelah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostBattleTec, on 05 October 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Bought the D2, put ervything in and it went horrible... the XL 195 isn't enough to outrun other light mechs and i lack the firepower to fight them. I'm gone leave it for now and go back to my other account with my shadow hawks i guess...

Lack firepower... in a commando 2D... ? Surely you jest.

#31 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

GREAT sig, Zelah! :lol:

#32 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostXelah, on 07 October 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

They have crappy firepower and their armor isn't worth mentioning. If you buy one of these... be ready for one hell of a learning curve. . . If you master them though, may the battletech gods have mercy on your enemies.

Oh, you mean like the Locust, but swapping (some) firepower for JJ and ECM? :lol:

#33 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

'mandos are awesome. They are, however, work.

#34 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

I would suggest 3 Kit Foxes all with CECM 7 experiment with their load outs until you find what you like.

#35 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Commando 1B was my starter mech, and it taught me many things about how to play a light mech. Also, carrying that good old Commando punch...so worth.

If enemy missiles are getting you down though, you may want to think about rocking a Locust. You don't need ECM so badly when you go 150+ KPH, and nothing satisfies quite like getting the entire enemy team to chase you in a circle around each other while missiles from your friends rain down on a Direwolf you've targeted. Mobility>LRMs, every time.

#36 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

This is what I ran with when I used the COM 2D. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...162e55fb965b437

Sometimes I'd swap out the SRM4s for LRM5s 'cause they both weigh the same anyway so it made it easy.

[EDIT]When I first tried the COM 3A I kind of liked using x2 SRM6. It ran hot and not as fast but it got a lot of results. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6b690eb1420656 [/edit]

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 07 October 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#37 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

Is the Kitfox any good as an ECM mech? I have not used any clan mechs yet.

#38 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

View PostRhaegor, on 09 October 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Is the Kitfox any good as an ECM mech? I have not used any clan mechs yet.

Depends on what you want to get out of an ECM mech. Its slow speed means it usually sticks with its slower team mates, providing effective ECM cover and contributing some excellent additional firepower.

If, however, you want to go around like a ninja and sneak attack people then no, because it doesn't do the disappearing act too well (its too slow to get out of danger fast enough when it's all alone).

#39 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:24 AM

The kitfox has become my favorite light.

I began playing MWO as a light pilot, starting with Ravens. The 3L in particular is an excellent light. The other two Ravens are pretty so-so, as well as the Huginn. Hopefully the upcoming IS buffs fix that.

I've also picked up Jenners, the D, F and Oxide to be exact. I don't care for the oxide. The D is a good starter, and runs cooler than the F. It is handy to run 2xSRM4 or Narc as an option. The F tends to have higher skill required because it runs so hot. I prefer running it with 6xML in two groups. Just practice heat management and it is a beast.

Kitfoxes have become the latest light I've gotten hooked on. The C arm is nearly required unless you want to run it as a SRM splat fox. I have settled on running it with ECM, 2xERML, 1xLPL, a Clan Computer mk1, max armor, 1 Jump Jet, and the rest of the space as DHS. I get some very good rounds with it as long as I stay cautious and keep with the team.

The ktfox is just like others have said; a support/utility mech more than a solo fighter like the Firestarters and Jenners can be.

I haven't run Spiders, Commandos, Firestarters or Locusts. They all have their fans. Of the 4, I am most tempted to pick up Firestarters or Spiders. Firestarters are tough fighters while spiders are the most annoying mech to fight due to rediculously small hitboxes and an ECM variant. Commandos are similar, but I don't see many of them.

Pass on the locust unless you want a challenge.

Edited by Greenjulius, 10 October 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#40 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 10 October 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

I haven't run Spiders, Commandos, Firestarters or Locusts.

Pass on the locust unless you want a challenge.

Listen to the voice of experience, right? :lol:

Sarcasm about people judging things they haven't done aside, the Locust CAN be a challenge to drive, though no more so than many other mechs in other weight classes. I've found that different weight classes play completely differently and some chassis within a weight class play differently from the general guidelines of that class. Cicadas, for instance, play a great deal more like light mechs than mediums, or at least they did way back when I had one. Then of course there are those mechs like the Locust and Dragon that play unlike pretty near anything else and tend to have niche roles run by eccentric pilots like myself. Seriously thinking about picking up that Dragon pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users