33 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN USA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

I don't know how many people would follow me on this one, but I really liked MW Firestorm. I just want the immersion that I feel is missing. Right now we really don't have any heat management, nor dealing with laser being pinpoint and ballistics having a cone of fire. Also everyone has a C3i, and BAP for a paper doll with out having to pay slots or tonnage for it. If we had this then ECM could work the way it does in TT.

Also I would love to build a cockpit like I am building for X Plane an A320 components. I know that is a stretch but I think it would be an idea, that some people would really embrace.

#2 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

This IS the MW simulator game...

#3 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

Not really so far no PC MW title would be considered a simulator unless you want to say this is an arcade simulator.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Nobody would publish it.

#5 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

If you're talking "simulator" in the sense that I think you are - the answer is no. (I do not mean that as a knock against MWO or its team in any way)

Why?

It won't sell. It will be hard to play. All of what, 200-400 people would play it?

Sadly, this is the case, in my view anyway.

Edited by SI The Joker, 03 October 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#6 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yeah I figured, no one wants a game that has a learning curve, right? I just miss the VW pods, and miss the work load of actually fighting in a mech. I miss the days when an alpha strike was a last ditch effort and was probably going to blow the engine.

I know it was all stock load outs, but BT was never meant for some of these builds without some major disadvantages.

Oh well, I guess I will just keep dreaming, because no one can develop it for years to come....;)

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

"real" simulator games have a market, but they tend to be for planes, trains, etc, which have a huge global fanbase.

Even games like War Thunder has to have a primary dumbed-down arcade mode in order for it to really be playable/profitable by an audience of measurable size, with optional realistic/more sim-like modes tucked away.

Nobody will publish a sim on the depth of say, DCS, for Battletech, because the audience would be miniscule.

#8 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostGyrok, on 03 October 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Um, a rather poor imitation of one. The proof is the pudding as I've been playing MW2 lately which has many more sim features present in that game than MWO's dumbed down arcade experience. Even MW3/MW4 are more sim-like than this game with a more robust feature set.

Edited by General Taskeen, 03 October 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#9 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostGyrok, on 03 October 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

No, it is not. MWO is an online shooter with MechWarrior mechanics wrapped over it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is not a simulator. MWLL was the last MW simulator, really.

And yeah, as much as I'd personally love to see another sim based MechWarrior, it's not going to work commercially and I doubt there's much drive left in the community to develop yet another fan made game... MWLL was the best attempt yet, but we all know where that went. I think the line between 'sim' and ''Mech shooter' has been blurred somewhat, though.

#10 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

So we catering to the BF and CoD crowd. I do feel let down from being a founder, and being told that we would follow at least some of the TT core game.

#11 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

Short answer: No.
Longer answer: No, because it wouldn't sell well enough to ever justify the costs.

#12 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostYeshua Kerensky, on 03 October 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

So we catering to the BF and CoD crowd. I do feel let down from being a founder, and being told that we would follow at least some of the TT core game.

I feel let down too... The "Game" page for MWO still claims that it's a Mech Simulator.
I don't want a full-on Sim where you have to hit a 100 button combination just to fire the engine up... but I wish this game was slightly more sim-like.

#13 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Well it might not be sim enough for you. But it is probably the closet thing to a mech sim we had in recent years.

How about some suggestions that would increase the sim aspect of the game? Maybe there's a few ideas that can still be used.

Edited by Tezcatli, 03 October 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#14 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Bought a throttle for MW:O and it gives me that sim feeling...

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

I don't want MW to be a simulator, but I also don't want MW to not be a simulator. I just want MW to be a good game. If that good game is a simulator, so be it. If that good game is not a simulator, so be it.

#16 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 03 October 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

No, it is not. MWO is an online shooter with MechWarrior mechanics wrapped over it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is not a simulator. MWLL was the last MW simulator, really.

And yeah, as much as I'd personally love to see another sim based MechWarrior, it's not going to work commercially and I doubt there's much drive left in the community to develop yet another fan made game... MWLL was the best attempt yet, but we all know where that went. I think the line between 'sim' and ''Mech shooter' has been blurred somewhat, though.

I never said it was a good one...just that this was billed as a BT/MW combat "simulator"

#17 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

Well, as it happens, real shells don't magically curve straight out of the barrel in to a magical "cone". When you fire a real auto cannon, those shells go in relatively straight lines. Round deviation is miniscule for high caliber weapons, even kilometers downrange.

And how much more management does heat need? You don't need to pay attention to a heat radiator. They radiate heat regardless of whether you manage them.

On the topic of ECM, I went on a several paragraph rant about it last time. I'll just say that TT ECM is the closest you'll get to IRL ECM, and even then... it's way off.

Point here is that what you want, isn't actually a sim. It would be little more than a bunch of nonsense and arbitrary rules with several layers of unnecessary complexity layered over it. A proper simulator set in the MW universe would be fantastic, however.

#18 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostYeshua Kerensky, on 03 October 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Yeah I figured, no one wants a game that has a learning curve, right? I just miss the VW pods, and miss the work load of actually fighting in a mech. I miss the days when an alpha strike was a last ditch effort and was probably going to blow the engine.

I know it was all stock load outs, but BT was never meant for some of these builds without some major disadvantages.

Oh well, I guess I will just keep dreaming, because no one can develop it for years to come....;)

I know the pods you are talking about. They were made much like aircraft simulators. Sitting inside of a life sized cockpit. With joysticks, countless buttons, and switches.

I would like to a Mechwarrior simulation. But, like others have said. It proabaly will not sell well.

#19 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostEddrick, on 03 October 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

I know the pods you are talking about. They were made much like aircraft simulators. Sitting inside of a life sized cockpit. With joysticks, countless buttons, and switches.

I would like to a Mechwarrior simulation. But, like others have said. It proabaly will not sell well.

There's a place where I live that has a set of Battletech VR pods still. I once spent 6 straight hours in them... Demolished all the scrubs who faced me in my Cyclops, wasn't even fair.

Only thing that could beat the feeling of being in one of those VR pods, is actually being in a real Mech...

#20 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I know you are talking about pods, but I can't help thinking of sim properties that MWO could have had featured..

First mech simulator thing that I expected from MWO as a game with modern graphics, is the sense of scale. The feeling that I'm 10 meters high in a cockpit of a giant robot. FAILED.
Second, that cockpit had to be interactive and meaningful, it had to be a great immersion instrument. FAILED. You can't even fall down or die without a camera jumping outside to 3pv.
Also, I expected to see more mech and equipment properties translated from TT, many are absent, some are disfigured.

Still, MWO is a pretty good game, much more arcade-ish than it could be, but enjoyable.
Sadly, it's too long before we see another BT game that could do all things right...

Edited by Duncan Jr Fischer, 03 October 2014 - 08:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users