12 replies to this topic

#1 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:29 AM

Because the game is staler than a Christmas pudding that's been passed back and forth as a "gift" for several years, here are some game modes that would provide some variety.

1) Extraction:

1 Team has to prevent the other team from reaching the extraction point. Do they take out the AI defences at the extraction point in order to defend it directly, do they spread out and cover all avenues of approach, or do they cover 1 avenue of approach and hope for the best.

2) Convoy:

1 Team defends a train as it traverses a map from point A - B along a set route. The other team tries to destroy it.

3) Facility/Dropship Assault:

Team's must destroy the other team's base

4) King of The Hill:

Capture and hold a central point in a map for x minutes. Teams have a respawn point at the edge of a map and players can select from a pool of which readied mechs they wish to respawn in. If the point is not held for x minutes, the team who held it the longest wins.

5) Capture the Flag.

Teams must get the other team's flag and return it to their own flagstand to capture it while their own flag is at home.

6) VIP

Each team has 1 mech randomly assigned as being their VIP, the teams must protect their VIP while attempting to destroy the other team's VIP.

7) Rescue

Teams must find survivors from previous battles scattered around the map and return them to an extraction point. The survivor NPC will follow the closest living player mech within a certain radius.

8) Waypoint

Each lance is assigned a path of 5 waypoints to complete within 15 minutes, some of which converge with waypoints assigned to lances from the enemy team. Each mech that is able to complete the waypoints earns their team 1 point. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins, unless the entire team is destroyed.

9) Kamikaze

3 mechs on each team are randomly assigned faulty cores, that cause stackplosions upon death, seriously damaging surrounding enemies. Mechs can identify and optionally remove this status if they wish at mobile repair bays placed around the map, or else can sacrifice themselves for their team by dieing in close proximity to the enemy. Be wary though, if they die too early it may be their own team who suffer.

10) Salvage

Similar to rescue. Mechs must gather up salvage scattered around the map and return it to a specific location/s in order to obtain points. Destroyed enemy mechs can also be recovered, with more points awarded for mechs that are more intact. Friendly mechs cannot be recovered in order to prevent mechanic abuse.

11) 3 way variants

Maps with 3 teams of 8 instead of 2 teams of 12 for assault/skirmish/conquest and any of the modes listed above that may be appropriate.

#2 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Not bad suggestions.

#3 Loganauer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Excellent suggestions. Make it a poll. 1st poll ask us to pick a favourite, 2nd poll multiple choice, ask us to pick which ones we'd like to see implemented

#4 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

I have an additional suggestion: Asymmetric Fight
8 players with high ELO vs. 12 players with low ELO

#5 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 02 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

I have an additional suggestion: Asymmetric Fight
8 players with high ELO vs. 12 players with low ELO

Terrible suggestion in terms of Gameplay.... however I would laugh if so many of the "Im so great, learn from me" players find themselves repeatedly on a team of 12 players in that mode :D .

#6 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

About 7 why NPCs?

Take players, one example could be:

Each teams assaults spawn in "random" locations, away from the team, with random damage applied to them (or all start with only one leg left or something) and the team has to gather them and bring them back to their "base".

Personaly i think, NPCs are allways a bit lackluster if used in such a manner, and given that you can de-select game modes anyway, those who do not like this mode, could allways "opt out" of it.

#7 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 02 September 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Terrible suggestion in terms of Gameplay.... however I would laugh if so many of the "Im so great, learn from me" players find themselves repeatedly on a team of 12 players in that mode :D .

Why is it terrible? I've been in a team with 2 disconnects once. And we won. It is possible, especially if the outnumbered side consists of experienced players with optimized cookie-cutter builds and teamspeak.

Viel Feind, viel Ehr. :D

#8 Ariana Rifkin

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

I like all of the suggestions that sound like Team Fortress 2. heheh
But they're all good ideas except for #9
There's no point if they can just remove it. It will just end up as a skirmish. It would be better if they didn't know who had the faulty core, so destroying any closeby mech could be hazardous, and team mates would be more cautious around each other. Good way to teach people about positioning.

And they should allow a competitive mode of 3v3/4v4/ with small arena type maps.

I really like the Capture the Flag idea though...Sounds like a lot of fun for scouts...

Edited by Ariana Rifkin, 02 September 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#9 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'm on board for more modes.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Some could use tweaking but I could certainly enjoy these. Had an idea of the VIP one for a long time.

The Ambassador mech on Sarna makes a great reference here.

#11 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Most of the suggested modes would require their own map design. At the pace new maps are created, the BT license will have expired before we see another mode. But I like most of the ideas. Especially 2, 8 and 11.

#12 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

look like good ideas to me

#13 Airox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

All good ideas. PGI would do well to implement multiple of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users