What drives you to play something like the BattleTech universe?

45 replies to this topic

#41 Mythdral

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Great White North

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

I was little when I first saw the cartoon, my older sister was watching it and I saw an episode and just kept watching the episodes with her from then on. After that came the books, then Mech Warrior games, and then the card game. They are all something I really enjoy so when I heard about MWO I was really excited so I had to get in on it, need to help the game grow. Yep yep!

#42 ClawSmasha

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I started being interested in this because I was searching for a F2P where the devs actaully cared even somewhat about the game they were making, after seeing some references that this was the next in some kind of series I found MW4 for free and downloaded that which made me get an idea as to what this game was about and although the game was a bit less than user friendly at the start it started to become natural and as I got to try out more mechs and outfit my little lance to my liking I looked at this and decided that maybe I should keep up with Battletech assuming this game dosn't kill it. I may not have heard of this series untill about a year ago but I must say it's certainly keeping me ready to rev my mech up, find a clan and raise hell.

#43 Victor MacGregor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationBear Flag Republic

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Three things, really. All working in conjunction.

1: The novels. First time I saw Lori Kalmar rip up that wanted poster on the cover of Price of Glory, not to mention how cool Melissa Steiner looked viewing that Invader-class jumpship on the cover of En Garde, got me hooked. The excellent writing of Keith and Stackpole didn't hurt either :P

2: The computer. Crescent Hawks Inception, and to a lesser extent CHR, showed me the practical side of mech warfare. The pointy end of the medium laser, so to speak.

3: The sourcebooks. I fell in love with the Mercenary's Handbook. It did not even matter whether or not I took my Mercs into combat...simply plotting out salaries, consumables, and overhead on a monthly or annual basis had my inner numbers dork engrossed. And oh, how I loved figuring out maintenance costs B)

#44 KhanHellWolf

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

In order
Mechwarrior 2
Battletech animated
Star Lord (first novel I read in 1995)
MW 2 Mercenaires

The lore in the novels was my biggest draw. I can (and I am) go back and re-read them and love them still. What happened to the e-novels that were out on Amazon kindle and the Catalyst site? They are gone from Amazon and I here a 404 page not found error on Catalyst's site. What gives?

#45 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

100+ Battletech Novels!

#46 MechWarrior6478661

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:07 PM