Case And Xl Engine

28 replies to this topic

Poll: CASE and XL Engines (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Should CASE protect XL Engines?

1. Yes (42 votes [39.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.62%

2. No (64 votes [60.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

Especially funny that there are XL-engi IS mechs with cases. I.E. Atlas-K - Vlar 300 XL, Gauss rifle in the torso with case :lol: Lol
So, actually, Case was there only to prevent total annihilation of a mech/vehicle, so they could be salvageable after internal blast. After ammo explosion in a side torso with case on XL-engi equipped mech - mech became crippled/nonfunctional, but yet XL engine wasn't actually destoyed.

If there was some economy in MWO - we could save a bit money while repairing mechs after battle. ATM case is useless.

Edited by DuoAngel, 13 April 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#22 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

The idea of protecting xl from EXPLOSIONS (gauss end ammo) by case is good, but not making I.S. XL clan-like just by placing cases in side torsos.

Edited by Appuagab, 13 April 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#23 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

Yeaahhh... No....

The CASE is just fine. I use it in my King Crab, which I tend to run a bit hot in,and have cooked my ammo to lethal results enough to put it in :P

That's really where CASE is usefull. Yes, it protects from critical hits, which are unlikely unless you're being MGed to death. But it's best at keeping you from exploding while pushing your heat curve.

CASE works just fine, there's no need to tweak it. And making it protect XL engines is WAY overkill...

#24 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

If CASE only protected an XL engine from ammo explosions then i'd be all in. But protecting from other things? No.

#25 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:50 AM

Omni mechs get free case for all sections of the mech. Omni mechs get a Xl engine that doesnt blow on single side torso loss. I went with yes for this. If this idea doesnt work fine, but something needs to be done about balance.

#26 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

No. Case only weighs .5 tons. It should not do something as powerful as preventing IS XL engines from getting popped. For the same reason ECM shouldnt do all the things it does for only 1.5 tons

Thats not to say Case doesnt need a buff, I believe it does, but Case should not turn IS XL engines into Clan XL engines. Instead I think Case should be buffed to reduce ammo explosion damage by 50% so Case gains the same benefit as putting ammo in arms and legs (which results in a 50% damage reduction due to damage transfer)

Omni mechs get free case for all sections of the mech. Omni mechs get a Xl engine that doesnt blow on single side torso loss. I went with yes for this. If this idea doesnt work fine, but something needs to be done about balance.

Omnimechs also get locked engine ratings and other locked equipment. You basically want to give IS mechs the same advantages as omnimechs without the same downsides. All that will do is unbalance the game even more.

Besides, the Innersphere equivalent to the Clan XL is the Light Fusion Engine. So why not just add the Light Fusion Engine to the game instead? That makes far more sense.

CASE is meant to reduce ammo explosion damage... so just buff that characteristic of it by giving it a 50% damage reduction to all ammo explosions in the same location as CASE.

Edited by Khobai, 11 August 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#27 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

In my opinion, if you want to see more case use, then you should make heat work much like the heat in table top, instead of a direct linear 0% is good running 100% your mech exploded, you should have heat work in stages where at certain percentages a check occurs to see if the ammo you have on explodes due to the heat, at certain percentages you start to lose speed, and so forth and so forth, I bet you will see a lot more cases being used for mech pilots that like to run hot with ammo packed in every noke and cranny of their mech.

#28 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostLasBlast, on 28 October 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I'd make it so carrying CASE allows for the ammo blow-out to trash everything in the side torso EXCEPT the XL engine - so it protects against a critical hit to an ammo bin in the side torso, but does not provide 'extra' protection to the XL.

This. This. This. PGI, this is the solution.

#29 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

View PostTarogato, on 05 October 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

I love the idea, but there's one huge glaring problem: CASE only weighs 0.5t. Spend only a half ton to protect my torso from being XL popped? Yes please, every single time. Time to put XLs in all my assaults and put CASEs on all my lights and mediums. Now I can brawl with an XL at a sacrifice of at most only a single ton.

Extraordinarily overpowered, so I can't support this. If you have any ideas on how to balance it, then go ahead and bring 'em on.

LOL, having CASE save an XL-equipped 'mech from dying to an ammo explosion isn't the same as preventing an XL-equipped 'mech from dying to side torso loss, it's just a suggestion to explore as a way to make CASE worth something outside of the arms.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users