First Mech Choice...

Question

13 replies to this topic

#1 Mairsil

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi everyone!

Before I ask my question, I figured I may as well at least give you some information about myself as a player. I played back during the closed beta for awhile on a different account that I no longer have access to. I saw someone mention this game the other day, and figured I may as well make a new account and start playing again. I'm not a total noob, but the game is clearly VERY different from early beta.

My question is, what mech makes a good choice as your first purchase. After I get all my training matches in and stop getting the cadet bonus, what is a good choice, and why do you think that mech is a good choice. I know, this is purely opinion based, but I still want to hear what you think. I know my play style may be drastically different than yours, but let me know anyhow.

Thanks in advance!

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Well, for starters, what speed do you like to run at (in KpH)?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 06 October 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Mairsil

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

Back in beta I ran mostly mediums and heavies, so anywhere from around 50-80, if I remember correctly.

#4 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hunchback.

'nuff said.

#5 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Another important thing that should be asked is what playstyle has interested you the most so far? That has a lot to do with what mech is strong in that role. Like for example are you enjoying getting close and brawling or staying back and firing from a distance? Do you like being able to move quicker and have mobility (jump jets) or would you want a mech that is much more durable?

#6 Mairsil

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

I ran my fair share of hunchies back during beta, and while I enjoyed them, I certainly did NOT enjoy having my hump shot off. That happened far too often.

As for the play style I enjoy most... I enjoy something that can engage from a distance if needed, but that primarily is built for medium range engagement.

Also, I've only got 2 more posts for today after this one :P

#7 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

Allright so medium range but also having a long range if needed.

I would reccomend the CTF-3D as a good platform to try out different builds on, Its a 70 ton heavy with the ability to take Jump jets and a good spread of Balistic and Energy weapons. Check out Smurfy, the online mech builder here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab and try building out the CTF-3D before you buy it. The mech is kinda expensive but it comes with an XL 280 engine which is a very good buy and can be used on other mechs.

Here is an example build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3e006be78df0c0

This uses a pair of ER Large Lasers to give you that long range punch while having a pair of Ultra AC/5s for Mid/Close range combat. Lots of armor, jump jets, good heat effciency and an AMS system to protect from pesky missiles. Only downside is the XL engine meaning that you will die if you loose a side torso instead of only your centre torso.

Alternatively try out the Shadowhawk chassis, Its a 55 ton medium thats stands very tall and skinny compared to others. They have some good hardpoint distribution and all of the variants are good.

Here is an example build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fec3c0bc3cc7db5

Again with 2 ER Large Lasers for the long range, but this one has 3x Short Range Missile 4s instead of cannons giving it a very strong short range punch. Bonus of this mech is that It is running a standard engine meaning that even if you loose a side torso you are stil in the fight. It is also faster at 73.6kph and can use both of its arms as shields for enemy fire.

TL;DR: If you want heavies give Cataphracts a try starting with the CTF-3D, if you want a medium try out any of the Shadowhawks

Edited by Kanajashi, 06 October 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#8 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

Oh and some shameless self promoting, I am currently in the process of making video tutorials for new players such as yourself. If you are interested you can check them out in this YouTube playlist: http://www.youtube.c...-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

#9 Mairsil

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostKanajashi, on 06 October 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Oh and some shameless self promoting, I am currently in the process of making video tutorials for new players such as yourself. If you are interested you can check them out in this YouTube playlist: http://www.youtube.c...-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

I'll be sure to check them out, definitely!

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

There is no one mech that stands out as the best first choice, and a big thing to discuss is whether you liked/are good at fast lights or slow assaults or something in the middle.

for going 80-ish, you have a lot of options, so you should consider what kind of weapons you like, if you want jumpjets, etc. Can't really go wrong with Shadowhawk/Griffin/Wolverine, Catapult, Jager, Cataphract, or even the Victor. On a budget, the 55 tonners will get you more bang for your buck and a shorter queue time, which is more c-bills for the long run.

#11 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

Shadowhawk 2K

use the stock engine,double heatsinks,endosteel structure and 3 medium lasers and 3 A-SRM4 launchers.

#12 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

If you're going medium, buy the Griffin 3M or the Shadowhawk 5M, because of the XL275. The last thing you want to do, is buy a different medium mech (or a mech of either of these series first), and need an XL which you'd then have to grind for, painfully. Either of these gets it for you on a discount, good buy.

It also helps that they both come stock with double heatsinks, and the 5M even has Endo already..

Then you can buy two more variants of either chassis, and use the XL in all of them while you level.

View PostCookiemonter669, on 06 October 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

Shadowhawk 2K

use the stock engine,double heatsinks,endosteel structure and 3 medium lasers and 3 A-SRM4 launchers.

Too slow.

Edited by Kevjack, 06 October 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostMairsil, on 06 October 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

"but the game is clearly VERY different from early beta."

The understatement here made me spit my drink all over my screen. First in amusement and then in great sadness.

Ahem!

My question is, what mech makes a good choice as your first purchase. After I get all my training matches in and stop getting the cadet bonus, what is a good choice, and why do you think that mech is a good choice. I know, this is purely opinion based, but I still want to hear what you think. I know my play style may be drastically different than yours, but let me know anyhow.

Thanks in advance!

First choice? This is very largely dependent on your playstyle. Shadowhawks get popular mention as do Hunchbacks due to their general ability to play mostly anything. Despite their tall size SHKs generally win the bid as all but one variant can use all types of weapons.

That said...
Any variant that ends in "M" is a strong candidate. Marik mechs such as the Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 5M, Stalker 5M, Orion (#)M, etc. are the epitome of the best technology battletech had to offer in terms of cooling, engine technology and so on. In I believe every case they come with XL engines, double heatsinks, etc. all standard. They usually have some of the better to simply 'balanced' hardpoints too.

Of course, not every mech runs well with an XL engine. But in general you can get the engine with a mech for quite a bit less than the cheapest variant of the mech + the engine + the double heatsink upgrade separate.

I'm partial to a number of mechs. Orions being my favorite heavies. Hunchbacks my personal favorite mediums. Firestarters my favorite lights. For assaults, I can't decide between Stalkers and Battlemasters; both are incredible but in entirely different roles.

Use this to help you pick one. It's a site called Smurfy.

#14 Mairsil

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I'm going to go with the Shadowhawk 5M. I really like the loadout, and the design of the mech in general.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users