24 replies to this topic

#1 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

What kind of telemetry do you hope getting with that? how much you can break the game?

#2 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

maybe its to avoid slow assaults from being left behind by the rest of their lance?

#3 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostDracol, on 09 October 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

maybe its to avoid slow assaults from being left behind by the rest of their lance?

oh yeah that totaly works since assault are alone and separated by the rest of the team...

#4 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:25 AM

Already been in 4 games where that happened.

Lance on left field got stuck with all Assaults, and within seconds were being pounded by lights and fast clan mediums narcing and cutting them up and LRMing them to death, while the Nascar lemmings never bothered to look back and see what was happening.

At that point, it was already too late.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostMister D, on 10 October 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Lance on left field got stuck with all Assaults, and within seconds were being pounded by lights and fast clan mediums narcing and cutting them up and LRMing them to death, while the Nascar lemmings never bothered to look back and see what was happening.

That is on the failure of the team. If the team had half a brain, they would have converged on the location of the Assault lance. Such scenario can be easily avoided by typing in the chat at the count down.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 October 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#6 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostMister D, on 10 October 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

an
6 games tonight, all were separated by class. Lights and med usualy make 1 lance, 1 is heavy and one is assault.

I got reminded fo the days where premades would drop with the same type of mech (lights) and would hunt as a pack because i faced such a team tonight, it was cool as i remembered how i loved being in a light wolfpack and a sad reminded how premade solo were complete bs if you werent the one with friends.

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 October 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

That is on the failure of the team. If the team had half a brain, they would have converged on the location of the Assault lance. Such scenario can be easily avoided by typing in the chat at the count down.

Tonight i gave 2 very specific orders in lance chat at the start of the game, one for 2 Dires and one for me and the heavy guy, 1 dire disconnected and the other 2 guys did the exact opposite of what i asked. Effectively making the assault lance ineffective and spread out, Reading in mwo is a lostech.

#8 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 10 October 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Tonight i gave 2 very specific orders in lance chat at the start of the game, one for 2 Dires and one for me and the heavy guy, 1 dire disconnected and the other 2 guys did the exact opposite of what i asked. Effectively making the assault lance ineffective and spread out, Reading in mwo is a lostech.

Thats because the Chat is turned off.

#9 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostDracol, on 09 October 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Are you saying that had to program in a solution for bad direwolf pilots?

#10 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Arrr... I just posted regarding this same topic in the feedback as I wasn't sure if it was intentional (don't recall seeing type about it anyway..).

And while I get the whole point regarding assaults getting stuck, it seemed that the heavies/assaults were always in the mid spawn in the games I played. Obviously I didn't pay enough attention if that is not the case. But from my perspective, I thought it was nice. As I tend to pilot mediums right now with all the assaults trying to get a game. And having them all together made it easier to keep up with them and where their base of firepower would likely be.

Honestly didn't have a game where our assaults got rolled straight off (15-20 games this evening). And in the few games I took the DDC into, we pretty much face rolled the other team (lot of that happening right now (?)).

Also seemed like the rest of the lances were tighter. Not by some huge measurement, but it did seem better. I attribute that to the 'speed' factor I suppose. At least for the start of the matches. Those with helmet fires tend to do odd things at times anyway (me included..).

At any rate, there are positives and negatives with just about anything. Just my 2 cents on this topic. Didn't seem like a totally crazy thing to me.

#11 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

It's a wrong solution targeting the wrong problem.

The actual issue is not isolated slow moving lances at the very start of a match.

It's the ability to engage the enemy in the first 15 seconds of a match that is the issue.Is it good game design to allow the enemy to reach a portion of your forces before the rest of your own team can even be capable of drawing a bead on their own lance?

This is tourmaline.One of our largest maps that also has the fastest engagment times.What is the point of the map being bigger if all we use of it is the size of a small map?

I would like to see drop points become dynamic so we don't know where we will be and always know where the enemy is at the very start of a match.

#12 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

Actually dynamic drop point is very nice idea.

#13 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

The problem with all assault lance is that you have to chose whether to be the ******* that leave the lance to join the front and help the team or follow your lance around aimlessly and deprive the front of much needed assault.

I usually try to stick with lancemate, even when everything points out to a bad ending and i dont mind that, trying stuff or staying with my guys but if we are 4 assault the outcome can be too costly for the team. It's not good to have 2 assault skirting a map but leaving them means if they find anything than can move they are dead.

#14 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 09 October 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

oh yeah that totaly works since assault are alone and separated by the rest of the team...

That does happen, partly because of terrible spawn positions on some maps.

View PostSoulscour, on 10 October 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

Are you saying that had to program in a solution for bad direwolf pilots?

If you're playing an assault mech and you drop in Tourmaline Desert on Assault in Charlie lance then it's possible for the enemy to engage you at range from behind safe cover and pick you apart while you move slowly towards your team who are 500m+ away while out in an open field, it's completely ridiculous. It's also possible to be playing on Alpine Peaks on the hill side while playing an assault mech and if light mechs rush you then you're screwed, though that happens less often, and then of course if you start on River City in Skirmish on the water side while in Charlie lance you have to get moving immediately because every single time you get spawn rushed there and if you can't move quickly (read: piloting an assault mech) then you usually take heavy damage or just get outright destroyed less than a minute into the match.

Point is it's not just assault pilots being bad every time, some of the maps and spawn points in this game are atrociously bad.

Edited by Pjwned, 10 October 2014 - 01:48 AM.

#15 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 10 October 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

The problem with all assault lance is that you have to chose whether to be the ******* that leave the lance to join the front and help the team or follow your lance around aimlessly and deprive the front of much needed assault.

I usually try to stick with lancemate, even when everything points out to a bad ending and i dont mind that, trying stuff or staying with my guys but if we are 4 assault the outcome can be too costly for the team. It's not good to have 2 assault skirting a map but leaving them means if they find anything than can move they are dead.

If you are a whole assault lance, you ARE the front. Or at least, that's how it should work...

#16 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 October 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

Agreed but PGI should not have so large a spawn point either where it becomes an issue.

#17 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

I don't know, I think there are probably many valid perspectives on this. Mine as an assault pilot would simply be tell the rest of the team where we are going. And decide amongst our lance where we go, or if one or two of us needs to break out for coverage. Lot less communication needed that way. And I would like to think people would naturally break off somewhat evenly and follow/support the big guys (haha.. i know, i know. many do not.). I think in a sense though, having all the assaults together kind of makes them more authoritative/respectable/noticeable/'insert better descriptor'. I hope anyway, hard to say day one.

But in that regard it starts to address probably my single biggest peeve in this game, which is Situational Awareness of players. Granted most of us have our own moments, the lack of SA in this at times is absolutely mind blowing for me some matches. I'm for anything that helps with that, short of more crap on my screen with icons, boxes, arrows or text. But at some point the expectation has to be on the player, not the game for the player.

The spawn point topic needs it own serious thread though (lets vote!). As if there hasn't been plenty already. Really is a separate issue in my mind anyway. If those were fixed, perhaps the current groupings would make more sense? I'd like to think it was implemented for something other than just helping the fatties arrive in unison. <_<

#18 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 09 October 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

oh yeah that totaly works since assaultS are alone and separated by the rest of the team...

FTFY (emphasis mine)

Not that I think one way or the other on the issue, but there is a logic flaw with this above statement.

1 DWF is alone, and a snack for a fire starter.
3 DWFs and a TBR are not alone, and are death for the FS9. (Hell, just the 3 DWFs... I am not going anywhere near that.)

#19 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

The issue here is PGI separating our lances at drop. Honestly, they should return us to our regular starting zones, all together.

#20 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 October 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

The issue here is PGI separating our lances at drop. Honestly, they should return us to our regular starting zones, all together.

There is merit for, and against that.

For: With current map and mode mechanics.. the 12mech deathball is the most surefire way to succeed. (Even if it can be bland and repetitive.)
Against: Splitting up the team in the first place is a nudge in the direction of smaller engagements, actual skirmishes and such.

Edited by Livewyr, 10 October 2014 - 04:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users